Light for anemone?

cabrego

Hi, I am looking to get a light for my standard 10g tank. I use the tank to raise my baby true perculas and one of my anemones has finally split a couple of times and one of the splits has moved to a rock that can be removed from the tank.

So, I need a light that doesn't break the bank but is strong enough to keep a red BTA happy. Will a 20 inch 96 watt PC work?

I would say a 96w PC on a 10g tank would be way more than required for a BTA. Water quality is a different issue... :o)

If nems travel, would it matter a whole lot as long as you dont have a 60w incandescent GE bulb? A nem can go where he wants, to the top, as long as the flow is not crazy up there.

.......... Just a thought.

9+ watts per gallon on a 10g....? Just stay on top of things.

You are going to have to be a bit more descriptive...Are you saying you think that is too much light?

Right now I have a standard 17 watt florescent over my 10g.

The old watts per gallon rule is not a good measure for the proper light to use. Just try the 96w light. If you see the anemone expanding and reaching for more light then you can increase the photo-period. If it stays small or seeks out shade you know to lower the photo-period. As it was mentioned, water quality and stability maybe more of an issue then light.

The old watts per gallon rule is not a good measure for the proper light to use. Just try the 96w light. If you see the anemone expanding and reaching for more light then you can increase the photo-period. If it stays small or seeks out shade you know to lower the photo-period. As it was mentioned, water quality and stability maybe more of an issue then light.

Well another options is to get some sort of a nursery that I can put in my 90g display. The nursery could house the nem with the 6 baby clown fish I have. Do you guys know of anything that could keep everything contained? I have a mesh type breeding nursery but I would not trust it to keep the clownfish contained because the open top is actually submerged and allows for the clown fish to escape.

I know BRK has more even duty nursery type devices but they appear to be custom made...

I've kept Multiple BTA's in your exact set up , 10gallon aquarium with a 20" Coralife 1x96w PC fixture.

Your anemone will have more than adequate lighting requirements, but as other members have brought up before, keep close tabs on your water quality, and you should be just fine!

I've kept Multiple BTA's in your exact set up , 10gallon aquarium with a 20" Coralife 1x96w PC fixture.

Your anemone will have more than adequate lighting requirements, but as other members have brought up before, keep close tabs on your water quality, and you should be just fine!

Thanks for the tip, right now, I have it set as an all in one nano 'type' system. There is a relatively thin sand bed in the back with some cheato that really hasnt grown to much. I checked the paramters the other day and the nitrate was maybe 5-10, everything else was zero.

Is there a another lighting option?