Weird Red Algae

sen5241b

I have weird red algae with thick threads (unlike hair algae). It came in on the snails which are now covered with it like furry hats. I think it is a macro-algae. Now the stuff is spreading all over and its out of control. I really hate breaking down rock --it takes forever to get it back the way you had it. I need to take half the rock out and scrub and this particular algae is like trying to scrub pavement off a road. I found a great website: Red Algaes and from that I think it is Rhodymenia leptophylla but I could be wrong. Advice please.

DSC02108_1024x768.jpg

DSC02110_1024x768.jpg

DSC02112_1024x768.jpg

DSC02113_1024x768.jpg

I've found that pretty much any tang will keep it mowed down to nearly nothing. It is a very common algae particularly in high light & flow environments. Keeping it out is very difficult, much like valonia. Herbivore control is the best bet.

I have weird red algae with thick threads (unlike hair algae). It came in on the snails which are now covered with it like furry hats. I think it is a macro-algae. Now the stuff is spreading all over and its out of control. I really hate breaking down rock --it takes forever to get it back the way you had it. I need to take half the rock out and scrub and this particular algae is like trying to scrub pavement off a road. I found a great website: Red Algaes and from that I think it is Rhodymenia leptophylla but I could be wrong. Advice please.

DSC02108_1024x768.jpg

DSC02110_1024x768.jpg

DSC02112_1024x768.jpg

DSC02113_1024x768.jpg

Yeah, that looks like red macroalgae. I have it taking over half of my tank...Tangs are supposed to love it but my tank's too small...

That particular macro grows like a weed. I have some in my pico. It sticks itself to just about anything. I scrape it off and the tiniest bit grows back again. It does grow slow.

I have this in my tank:

db_4_Unknown_Macro_Algae-dsp.jpg

This image in NOT mine. It is from the Tampa Bay Saltwater website, which is where I got my rock.

I was going to let it grow since I like the way it looks but maybe that's not such a good idea.

Laura

I have this in my tank:

This image in NOT mine. It is from the Tampa Bay Saltwater website, which is where I got my rock.

I was going to let it grow since I like the way it looks but maybe that's not such a good idea.

Laura

That's no the same thing I have.

I have this in my tank:

Laura

I would let it go, unless it gets out of control. If you do want to get rid of it, many club members would be happy to have it. Very attractive macro.

bob

I would let it go, unless it gets out of control. If you do want to get rid of it, many club members would be happy to have it. Very attractive macro.

bob

I'm trying to culture this in the greenhouse. Problem is keeping it away from tangs. I have this one and a more bulbous variety with orange spots that looks like an sps colony. Low light algae though, so I keep it in the tub overflows in the shade.

bob

I have let it go and I'm wondering how far it wil go. It could just cover everything.

I just got over an infestation by that stuff, or something very similar. When the rock was in another, larger tank, the algae had started to become an issue, but was then munched to the roots by a tang. Then I moved the rock to a 29, and the algae became a depressing nuisance. After months of constant attention to husbandry (methodical extraction of detritus, pulling larger bunches of algae, regular water changes, modest feeding), it has abated. Turbos and hermits (blue leg, red leg) helped to mop up. Astraeas and my unidentified Escenius blenny seem to have no appetite for it.

I have seen some horrible plague algae outbreaks over the years, and have developed some unscientific and potentially conflicting theories:

1. Wait long enough and it exhausts whatever it needs to grow excessively (the PaulB theory).

2. Pay more attention to your tank for many months and it gets better.

3. Add red-leg hermits (not blue-legs or scarlets) and hair algae plagues wither and die. Twice now I have added redlegs and algae plagues have abated. I think it's a spurious correlation, because the algae seems to be dying off rather than getting eaten, but some people want a magic bullet.

Sorry it's not the same stuff. Good luck with getting rid of it.

Whenever I have an algae problem I find I really need to keep on it with physical removal.

It doesn't get rid of it but I am pretty sure it helps keeping it from spreading and taking over.

@lanman: I am letting mine grow. It is very attractive and is actually growing on the sand bed as well as on a section of rock. I'll let you know when I get enough to share!!

Laura

I have this in my tank:

Laura

I had that in my tank and my tang mowed it down like a lawnmower on steroids!

How much could a UV lamp help or hurt this situation?

It won't hurt, but may only marginally help. It may kill free floating spores (depending on UV dose) but it will not affect existing rooted populations.

Has anyone tried just putting a thick piece of plastic over algae for a week or two to block the light? Could you, at least, control the algae this way?

• 4 months later...
Wait long enough and it exhausts whatever it needs to grow excessively (the PaulB theory).

Your worried about that cool little sprig of red algae? I collect that stuff and throw it in my tank.

My "leave it alone" theory only works if the tank is infested with "hair algae" I never said anything about cool red looking stuff. :blush: