Anyone know how to build an ATO?

Incredible Corals

I want to add an ATO off to my tank just to make everything a little more automated. Anyone built one on their own and can post a step-by-step?

I was going to buy one from www.autotopoff.com. Priced out, it's going to cost around $70 plus the cost of a reservoir. There's got to be a cheaper way.

How simple do you want to make it? If you have a power head and a float valve. Float valve goes in sump, power head goes in resevoir. I put a t in line just off the pump, straight thru goes to sump valve, 90 is open to relieve excess preasure so the pump does not overheat or wear out due to no flow if the sump valve is in closed position, and provide circulation in the resevoir.

aquahub.com is a great resource for DIY ATOs and instruction/articles about ato devices. In theory you could make one with a float switch, pump and cord but that is a little to risky for my taste. Power surges and switch burn out is a risk, read the documents on the website aquahub's website.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/doityourself.html

IMO,here is about as cheap as you can go while still being comfortably reliable.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html

The parts alone are going to cost you at least 30 dollars, and that is not including some of the little odds and ends you will need.

I know this because I have done it both ways 1. ordered the kit and 2. bought parts separately to save a buck since most of the parts can be found at radio shack. Not worth the trouble.

Plus, aquahub ships fast in my experience...

Just be careful with the float switch. I would not wire the float switch directly to a power cord. This is why most ATO have a 12v relay in them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in process of making a battery operate ATO. I am waiting for my float switch to come and will be using Azoo battery pump. I am building based on Wet's guide from N-R.com

(edited)

There are indeed many ways to skin this cat. I saw the Aquahub kits and they look great for what they are but when you start splicing wires and using relay's its starts getting a little complicated for me. Particularly when it can be pretty simple.

I built my own ATO a few years ago just using some parts I got off the internet and some ideas I had in my head. I had a 20 gallon tank for my fresh water reservoir with a MAG 2 pump inside with a some clear tubing going from my reservoir to my sump.

I bought a float switch from an online site that was tailored for aquarium use...they are not expensive and are easy to find. The switch went inside my sump and was set for my maximum water level. It was pre-wired to a box outlet that plugged into the wall. My reservoir pump plugged into that outlet and was on an electronic timer to come on at a certain time once a day and go off approximately 2-3 mintutes later. So as the water level in my sump went down the float switch would activate. My pump would come on at the prescribed time and fill the sump until the float switch hit it's limit and turned it off. The 2-3 mintute interval was just to make sure that if something went wrong my reservoir pump didn't run all night and flood everything. Obviously you have to be a little creative with your tubing and water levels so you don't get an accidental siphon situation. I had it set for just once a day but with the right timer you could have it working several times a day.

It's an incredibly simple system but it worked really well for many years. When I set up my new tank I'll probably use the same system but I might modify it a bit. I might not use the same pole type switch and I'll probably use more than one float switch and do some more automation.

Edited by fogcutter

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the Aquahub kit and I'm looking forward to getting it set up this weekend. I was shocked that it arrived in about 2 days.

I just ordered the Aquahub kit and I'm looking forward to getting it set up this weekend. I was shocked that it arrived in about 2 days.

good deal-which kit did you go with? I really like that company, I've ordered two and installed two of the deluxe kits.

(edited)

Those kits still look insanely complicated to me but I guess that's half the fun of DIY.

I still recommend a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B0002DKBE0

They can be mounted either way to operate an outlet/switch for high or low water situations.

Or heck...just go Cadillac and get one of these: http://genesisreefsystems.com/products.php?cat=10

Edited by fogcutter

I've used the aquahub ATO on all my tanks so far. I will have to say the toughest part of the process for me is molding the hangers. Beyond that it's just a bunch of stripping wires.

Tony

good deal-which kit did you go with? I really like that company, I've ordered two and installed two of the deluxe kits.

I believe that it was the premium kit. It was the on that comes with three switches (that way if I screw one up, I have a back up).