WTB a red fish. Not sure what to get.

TonyInVa

Looking to buy a red colored fish. I like the looks of a Catalina Goby. I also like the looks of some of the Red colored Wrasse, but am cocerned about jumping. Any other options that I am missing?

SCARLET HAWKFISH. Lots of personality. Mine enjoys roaming all over the tank hiding in the rock work.

Catalina Gobies are collected from deep, cold waters, and have a reputation for faring poorly in our relatively warm reef tanks.

WOW! What an important fact, I over looked.

Thanks

(edited)

I have 2 red hawkfish in my tank. The flame and the spotted. BRK has them in their 155 bow front. they are great fish, and I have never had a problem with either of them.

Edited by epleeds

My red velvet wrasse has been a great addition to my tank. Mostly red up front light orange middle and deep purple fins. Very sweet and not aggressive but big enough that my clowns leave it alone.

HTH.

Amethyst Anthias (Pseudanthias pascalus) is a nice colored fish.

You could always add the screen on top and keep the wrasses without fear of carpet surfing.

• 3 weeks later...

As others mentioned above, I would go with a Flame Hawk. Not only are they red they're really fun to watch and have personality. Plus, since it does not have a swim bladder it's fairly unique. I used to watch mine for hours as it hopped from rock to rock waiting to pounce. He was one of my favorites but remember....loves to eat the smaller cirtters and its not the safest of reef fish. Doesn't bother the corals though. HTH

Yea, I would definitely get a flame hawk if it would not suck down my cleaners and attack my snails. Plenty of personality and they sometimes even come to the front of the tank to investigate YOU if you go up to them. Hey, who would not want a Rodney Dangerfield looking fish in their tank. :rolleyes: :laugh: