Clown Injury hosting in frogspawn

FearTheTerps

So I added a pair a clowns to my tank that has a very nice size frogspawn in it (thank you Laurie). The clowns immediated went right to the coral and started to host in it. Something again that always amazes me in this hobby, given the fact that theses clowns are over 2 yrs old, captive bred, and have never had anything to host in before. Natural born instinct.

Anyways, after a few days I noticed a wound on the female, it started out white and puffy, kinda looked like cotton. It appears to be healing but now there is another problem. Her left is all cloudy and puffy. The wound on her side didnt seem all that bad to me, but her eye has me concerned. I read Jan's post about her anthia having an eye injury, Im thinking to just let it be for a little bit and see how it gets.

I dont think its ich, but I dont have any experience with marine ich.

Just looking for some advice on what else to do.

gallery_2631917_762_29029.jpg

gallery_2631917_762_95195.jpg

Edited by FearTheTerps

A sting from the frogspawn will usually show a black mark or spot on the clownfish. That looks like a parasite or infection.

Well I assumed it came from the frogspawn just based on the fact that appeared within a day or so of the fish hosting in it.

Given that the fish is new to your tank and just went through a lot of stress, I'm thinking maybe it's stress-related bacterial infection. My female tomato clown gets the "white fuzzy stuff" every time she gets really stressed out (male never gets it) - it looks like fungus but is actually a bacterial infection. She always gets better on her own without treatment once the stress inducer is gone, but your fish may need QT and treatment.

How is the fish's respiration rate? If it isn't breathing fast and it is eating normal I would not worry. To me it looks like the mucous coating of the fish is being affected by the stings from the frogspawn. The issue with the eye looks to be the same thing.

If the breathing rate becomes shallow and rapid then I would threat it for possible Brooklynella.

Edited by Coral Hind

BTW, thanks for posting a large, clear, and focused picture of your fish. We all know that reef photography is tough, but having a good pic makes giving advice SO much easier.

She was eating normal last nite and I didn't notice any trouble breathing, but I'll check again tonite.

Thanks Jon. It took me like 30 mins and about 100 pics to get a decent shot.

Her breathing is fine, she was just as active as ever and she was eating like a pig tonight. Her side appears to be getting better but her eye still looks about the same.