Bubble Algae

onux20

I am growing bubble algae like its cool!!!

I try to harvest it but keep popping the bubbles. Not helping! :angry:

I just put two emerald crabs in. If they are getting after it, I can't tell. Its has only been two weeks so I am still hopeful. :sad:

Someone please tell me how to at least curb its spread. I cant take the rock out and boil/scrub/air dry none of that. So I am looking for things to do while the rock is still in the tank.

Does anything else eat it?

Ron

it's just like any other algae. reduce nutrients, find something to eat it, and manual removal in the meantime.

I've found that my yellow tangs seem to bite at it. Maybe it's because I don't feed them enough...

I have had several tangs like yellow, purple, hippo, kole, and sailfin eat it. They only seem to go after small type. The only place it grows now is in my overflow.

I just put two emerald crabs in. If they are getting after it, I can't tell. Its has only been two weeks so I am still hopeful. :sad:

I forget how large of a tank you went with, but I have 5 emerald crabs in my tank and they keep it completely at bay.

I think if you just give it a little time they will take care of it.

Get good coraline growth on your rocks. It will not grow very well on rocks with coraline. I get it in new tanks, but once the rocks get covered with coraline it is not much of a problem.

I used to take the rocks out and chip it off with a knife ... if you pop the bubbles it will spread... how big is your tank... I had an issue with cullerpa a while ago and I coudln't find anything that would eat it and fit in a 24.... best of luck keep us posted!

I'm taking mine out and removing the bubbles with a dental pick popping as few as possible and rinsing the rock before dropping it back in the tank - only a few grow back and I'm beating it slowly - don't let it spread elsewhere and get an urchin

I forget how large of a tank you went with, but I have 5 emerald crabs in my tank and they keep it completely at bay.

+1

That is what I did - along with the other suggestions about manual removal and nutrient export.

I knew 2 was not enough for a 120. I hesitate to put more in cuz not all of my frag are cemented in place and those guys are like bulls in a china shop. But I will get a few more. Thanks.

Ron

Get good coraline growth on your rocks. It will not grow very well on rocks with coraline. I get it in new tanks, but once the rocks get covered with coraline it is not much of a problem.

Good to know. Corraline is just starting to take hold. Months away from full coverage tho.

Ron

I'm taking mine out and removing the bubbles with a dental pick popping as few as possible and rinsing the rock before dropping it back in the tank - only a few grow back and I'm beating it slowly - don't let it spread elsewhere and get an urchin

Taking the rocks out is not an option. Not all my frags are permenantly in place and the urhcin would surely knock them over everyday. It is a thought though. Thanks.

Ron

I have/had some bubble algae outbreaks and I get the sense they get worse when my lights are old, but I don't know if that's true. I actually think bubble algae, the big ones at least, are kinda neat, so I don't mind it much, but when I take pieces off, it's only the big ones, and you can wiggle and twist it slowly so it comes off without popping. If you're trying to get the little bubbles off without bursting them, that does seem like a difficult task to do without popping some. Good luck with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on an assult all week against what my daughter calls 'the blue berries". I have been picking them off the sand but the rocks are being overrun.

I have emreralds but they have not shown they have a taste for it.

Taking the rock out and scrubbing it is WAAAAAAY down my list of possible solutions.

I am thinking about decreasing the MH cycle. On for 6hrs a day right now. Maybe cutting back to 4 hrs for a while. Anyone think that will help?

I have cut back on feeding a bit to try and keep added nutrients low. The fuge is lighted about 12hrs 10p-10a and the macro, chaeto and dragons breath, are growing well.

Anyone have any more ideas? :huh:

Thanks.

Ron

I'm in the same boat I only have a few heads though.,..next I'm going to try a yellow tang... I'd do a few extra water changes...my bigger problem is the hair algee I have both. No aspetia though which is lucky... oh and one more though do you think you could get a clam I used use them to keep bad chemical down.

I'm in the same boat I only have a few heads though.,..next I'm going to try a yellow tang... I'd do a few extra water changes...my bigger problem is the hair algee I have both. No aspetia though which is lucky... oh and one more though do you think you could get a clam I used use them to keep bad chemical down.

Going the extra water change route. Did ~30 last week and doing another 30 today or tomorrow. I saw the discussion on using clams to impact water quality. I am not sure I am on board with that quite yet.

Thanks for the ideas tho.

Ron

pull the rock and scrub the bubbles away. If you do that, the Emerald crabs will eat whatever grows back. It's the only way that I know how to get rid of it. whenever you see a new one, pull it out or suck it dry with a hypodermic, then pull the husk. massive w/c does nothing except waste water and salt. clams work if you fill the whole tank with clams and nothing else.

The only down side for using clams for water clarity is they take alot of calcuim anyway hope you can get your bubble algee to go away!

• 2 weeks later...

I changed a lot of things in the past few weeks, lighter feeding, longer T5 photoperiod, shorter MH photoperiod, stopped 2 part dosing, turned off gfo reactor, extra water change. I think the deciding factor was changing out ALL of the filters on the RO/DI.

Bubbles on the rocks are starting to fade. I have picked fewer clusters out of the tank. So it looks like I am turning a corner.

Thanks for all the advice WAMAS.

Ron