House of Tropicals near BWI

alan mcilvried

Maybe this belongs in the LFS thread, so feel free to move it, but I just went to House of Tropicals just off Rt. 97, about a mile from BWI airport. I was just killing time, waiting for a friend to fly in, but I was very surprised at how nice a store this is. It was easier and faster to get to than I had expected, so I thought I'd share my experience. If you've never been there, it's definitely worth going to take a look.

It's a BIG store, with a lot of fish, coral, rock, tanks and equipment. They have a large, knowledgable and friendly staff. Their equipment selection is about as big and varied as any I've seen locally and they have a lot of nicely maintained tanks, both salt and fresh water (with healthy looking fish.) Probably not the largest variety of saltwater fish I've seen, but there are a lot of fish there (For example, some species, even larger ones, might have 10 or 15 specimens) and some unusual ones that I don't normally see in LFSs. It was pretty busy and I was there for about 30 minutes, but I probably had 4 DIFFERENT people ask me if I needed any help. I felt that they had a genuine interest in helping me find what I needed, they didn't seem to mind answering my questions and they didn't blow smoke up my dress.

So now I'm $160 lighter than when I went in, which is bad because I wasn't planning on spending anything. No fish, but that may be another trip. I don't mean to "dis" other LFS's, but since I've not seen much about this store on the forum, I thought it might be of interest.

Al

I worked their 15+ years ago and all are nice people - probably not anywhere near as knowledgeable as most WAMAS members though

Catch their fish shipments when they arrive I think Wed-Thur as they usually get good wild caught if your into that ;)

their corals langish though - they're getting better but again try to catch the corals as they arrive vs after you see necrosis set in.

CMAS just did a frag fest there and we bought/sold some colonies - walked out with Acan Lords, Cyphastrea, Gold Zoas, etc

I have been there several times. Their price for salt is better than most LFS's in the area (sorry, I don't recall their prices) and they seem to have a pretty good inventory. In MD, we are limited to the LFS, particularly since Scales closed. I do think that their corals are a little high, but their fish seems to be price reasonablly well.

Second time in as many weeks I have heard good tings about HOT. I need to get over there soon and check it out.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if they are open on the days I could actually get there....

Forrest, they are open 7 days a week. I think that they're open until 9 on the weekends and 8 during the week. I generally pick up salt and RO/DI water there (I live in an apartment and can't really hook up a filter system [yet :)]).

• 1 month later...

I have been to this store. It is hit or miss in my opinion. However, they also run a store just north of Towson of exit 31? on 695 called Exotic Aquatics (same owners). I have been using this store since I entered the hobby, and I think the selection and prices are pretty good. They have a couple really impressive show tanks in the front and throughout the store as well. They seem to have any fish you could possibly want including some large size show fish. The store appears clean and there is no odor. I don't really see people on here talking about Exotic Aquatics but I think if you are close it's worth checking out. They used to do discounts on the weekends for livestock. Not sure if they still do.

It's been a long, long time since there was any business relationship between HOT and Exotic Aquatics. Separately owned and operated.

One issue I've had with HOT was selling fish that really won't make it in an aquarium. Check your fish book first.

If you are in the HOT area, check out Sea Save on Route 2. An interesting place, but don't get them talking about saving the ocean...http://www.seasave.net/ They mostly sell fish to order - you pick them up in the same bag they flew in. Also they raise their own Bangaiis.

Yea, my roomate in college worked at HOT in highschool . . .so my info is probably dated lol. However, I have also been to seasave. They have a bad rap on the internet, but they were very nice to me. Only a lady and man work there from what I have seen, and they both seem to have good knowledge. I know he builds some filters that he sells, and the directions are on the site which look like a good system. I wish they would post prices (seems to be the main problem everywhere). The customer service can be off putting. I have walked in before, and if they are in "the back" by the QT's you think you are alone.... I must say the store is always extremely clean. He is the one that got me to stop using brine and switch to frozen mysis. I like that they focus on simple reef keeping.

It's been a long, long time since there was any business relationship between HOT and Exotic Aquatics. Separately owned and operated.

One issue I've had with HOT was selling fish that really won't make it in an aquarium. Check your fish book first.

If you are in the HOT area, check out Sea Save on Route 2. An interesting place, but don't get them talking about saving the ocean...http://www.seasave.net/ They mostly sell fish to order - you pick them up in the same bag they flew in. Also they raise their own Bangaiis.

I bought a fish labeled as a "Lizard Fish" from HOT. They didn't know if it was reefsafe. I only paid like $20 for it. Ended up looking it up on That Pet Place and it is a Red Spotted Sandperch http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/206591/product.web In the end I am happy, but being that I do not have the knowledge of some people, it would be nice if the store had the knowledge.

Sea save! Been a while since I heard anyone talking about them. There is a pretty amusing thread about them here: LINK

I sometimes stop by Exotic Aquatics on my way to That Fish Place. I like the place. I think it is a little overpriced, but but not too bad. Love that display tank in front. Exotic Aquatics provides the best deal on PE mysis by a long, long, long way. But you need to buy the huge 40oz packs...and you may need to buy 10 (I did a GB last time and got enough takers in about an hour).

Having read a handful of threads about sea save, I really want to go in and visit... it sounds like fun!

Having read a handful of threads about sea save, I really want to go in and visit... it sounds like fun!

LOL. I dunno. Just be ready for really nice people who care about the world and its inhabitants, or really crazies.

LOL. I dunno. Just be ready for really nice people who care about the world and its inhabitants, or really crazies.

Glad to see the old thread return. :) Just be careful.

(edited)

Honestly, I have bought from them and have never had a problem. Been in about 3 or 4 times. One time I just talked to John for about a half hour and was only buying some frozen mysis. They had two sharks in a baby pool. I thought it was pretty cool.

Edit: title of thread is House of Tropics. My comment is about seasave.

Edited by BowieReefer84