Matt's 90G Build

Hi Everyone,

Well, after about 9 months in the hobby, I am starting a second display tank - thanks kngfisher! I plan to keep fish, inverts, soft corals, LPS, Monti caps, and a RBTA. Here are the details:

* 90G Reef Ready Display Tank w/1 Overflow

* Custom Built Oak Stand

* 48" Nova Extreme Pro T5 Lights

* Reef Octopus DNW 150 Recirculating Protein Skimmer PS-OCT-DNW-150

* 55G Sump

* Mag 5 Return Pump

* Koralia 4 Powerhead

* Stealth 300W Heater

* 100# Live Sand

* 200-300 lbs of Live Rock (Yes, I'll have extra rock!!! :) I found a good buy, but I had to get it all. I plan to offer the savings to WAMAS for any unused Live Rock!)

On the long term "to-buy" list:

* ATO

* Kalk Stirrer

* Legs for Light

* Cover or Screen for DT

* Controller

Current list of fish contenders:

* Pair of clowns with RBTA

* School of anthias - which kind? purple? lyretail?

* Tang - yellow? blue? power blue? tomini?

* Foxface

* Flame angel

* bicolor angel

* Would love copperband butterfly - but don't know if I'd be able to have it

* Maybe bangaii pair

* Maybe school of chromis

* Suggestions?

On the "to-do" list for this weekend:

* Clean display tank

* Clean sump

* Add baffles to the sump (to create 3 compartments)

* Aquascape - I have 3 acrylic stands for the rock on order

* Plan fish/inverts

Anyone want to offer to help with the baffles or aquascaping?

Any suggestions of the fish I propose or fish add order?

Am I missing anything in terms of planning or dry goods?

Thanks,

Matt

Congrats on the new tank.

My only suggestion from experience is if you plan to keep corals you may not want the flame angel and bicolor angel. I have had both and they nipped at corals. They didn't kill the corals but they kept the polyps from extending.

Where are you putting the sump?

Congrats on the new tank.

My only suggestion from experience is if you plan to keep corals you may not want the flame angel and bicolor angel. I have had both and they nipped at corals. They didn't kill the corals but they kept the polyps from extending.

Where are you putting the sump?

The sump will be placed in the stand.

Matt

Looks like a great start. It's fun to watch someone else plan, since I have no room and don't have to deal with the consequences.

My only comments are:

1) the overflow should be able to handle a mag7. If you ever want to feed a reactor (Ca, Phosban, carbon...) from the return, the extra gph would be handy.

2) I love foxfaces, but some individuals have been known to eat zoanthids. Mine never did, and I'd rather have a foxface than zoanthids anyway, but I thought I'd mention it.

3) Let me know when you're ready for frags.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" with that being said I think you have a good plan and are taking the right steps in your preparation... Looking forward to seeing it all come together.. And for what its worth, I had a flame angel that bother my sps, gave it to chip and it never bothered his, go figure.. I also have a rabbitfish that loves zoas, remember that why you have all mine.. lol.. But I am just one of the unlucky people who buys inconsiderate fish... Good luck and take lots of pics..!!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all in the input! I was planning to get the bicolor and flame after seeing both in CMAS tank, but it's good to hear it's not a good idea. Are yellow coris wrasse reef safe? I want something yellow. There's always the yellow watchman or tang though.

I'm considering getting another Koralia 4 or possibly a larger return pump.

Now on to the sump... I picked up the new tank tonight. On second examination, Dave was right. The 55 won't fit. What should I do now?

My choices are as follows: 20, 20L, 29, or 30L G for the sump to contain the return and skimmer. I could have a 10G refugium T off from a drain and then have the fuge drain into the sump. I'd have to have the 10 G drilled, but I'd be able to skip the baffles in a sump. Anyone have an option about this new plan?

Does anyone have a 20, 20L, 29, or 30L G aquarium for sale?

Thanks,

Matt

If you have the height under the stand, go with the 29. With a 20L, I found that I would end up with water on the floor if the skimmer went nuts and started to splash. The depth of the 29 prevents that, and also gives you a bigger safety factor when the power goes out. A longer sump will prevent you from putting anything else (reactors etc) under the stand. Just be sure there is enough height to get the skimmer in and out for maintenance.

I am using a 29 as both a sump and fuge with minimal baffles. The fizz from the skimmer is dissipated by the time it hits the external return. The fuge is smaller than I might like, but seems adequate. If you can have a separate fuge, by all means do so, I just didn't have another place to put it.

sump_1178.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the tank is FINALLY coming together!!! I added baffles to the 30L. The rock and sand are all in place. All I need to do now is to mount my light and add fish/inverts/corals.

The water drank on this tank is REALLY loud. Does anyone have any tricks for making the return to sump water sound quieter?

Thanks,

Matt

gallery_2632035_765_99445.jpg

gallery_2632035_765_40473.jpg

gallery_2632035_765_12862.jpg

Looking good Matt

I'd check RC and use the search for quieting durso's. There are a few ways to go about it. Including putting a shutoff inline and closing it a bit to help the back pressure. That is what I did on mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I have a few updates:

Niagara Falls is now silent! The only noise now is the light fan and return pump. I have both pipes going below the water line with dursos on top. It's great. I've been taking a few pics along the way. They'll be posted sometime in the near future.

On Monday, I hung the light. By Monday night I transferred a couple zoas and hermits. What I thought were BROWN zoas turned orange and others yellow. It was pretty amazing. The zoas opened almost instantly.

On Tuesday I turned on the ATO - WHAT A GREAT addition!!!!!!!!

I purchase a pair of clowns, a couple monti caps, and a tiny frogspawn head from WAMAS members on Thursday. It's gonna be full in no time.

Sooo....the pink and neon yellow leathers that are currently in my 54 are growing insanely fast under the PC lighting. I plan to move the pink to the 90 at some point over the next week. I'm going to frag the yellow sinularia and transfer a frag to the new tank at the same time.

Last night I transferred a toadstool and a neon green leather. All doing well today.

Now today.... I purchased my first tang (Kole) from a CMAS member who is getting out of the hobby.

What's left to do:

* turn on the skimmer

* drill holes in LR for zoanthid frags

* create screen lid for top

* give NAGA info for topoff container

* create sump lid

* move heater to sump

I hope to take and post pics tomorrow.

Matt

Well, I picked up a RBTA from trockafella last weekend, and the clowns were pretty excited. The first pick is them discovering the RBTA was dropped in the tank. The RBTA wasn't quite ready for them.

gallery_2632035_765_65079.jpg

I flipped on the light and ran upstairs for a drink, and there was instant euphoria!

gallery_2632035_765_50389.jpg

My Kole tang is eating like a hog; however, I think he got stung by my RBTA over the night. The RBTA moved to the Kole's favorite hiding spot and stuff happens in the cover of night. There is a white "burn" on his skin. I'm pretty confident that it's not ick.

Other updates: I turned on the skimmer last night. I also received a zoanthid frag pack from Mr. Coral. Overall, I'm pleased with the order. 15 corals for $100 shipped is a good deal. There were at least 5 polyps per rock too (1 only had 3). I now have an eggcrate frag tray laying on my rocks. I need to fix it when I find some free time. I also took advantage of the Reefs2Go.com shrimp deal and picked up 3 cleaners, 1 fire, snails, and hermit last week. I'm sure my office loves getting boxes marked PERISHABLE or LIVE FISH.

I picked up the foxface and blue hippo from the CMAS member today. The foxface did the "play dead" trick where it got as large as possible and sank to the bottom of the tank when I first added him. It quickly flipped when it hit the sand. The 3 cleaner shrimps quickly greeted the foxface and hippo.

Nature is pretty awesome.

AND, I'm here in MD and not the Fins and Feather social. Plans didn't work out, but I plan to stop by there tomorrow to pickup a fish Sean had on hold for me to be placed in the 54.

Here's the latest FTS.

gallery_2632035_765_86350.jpg

Matt