koralia powerheads

GaryL

so yeah...i bought a koralia 4 to blast the dead zones on my 40g breeder.

so far i like mine, i like the suction cup/magnet design... not too sure about the cord going into the pump tho.

i have a 1100gph return blasting out of a sea swirl and noticed it had alot of dead zones so i added the koralia. i noticed my sps had better polyp extension i guess do to the added flow.

what do you guys/gals think of these powerheads?

You will hear two tales about Koralias, I'm sure. I have been very pleased with mine. I have had a total of 6. Two of them just 'stopped' after about 2 years of continuous use. Replacing the impeller didn't help. The other 4 have been running from between 2 years and 6 months. I am planning to get a couple more. They have an 'uneven' flow, kind of randomly moving around - and a 'lobed' flow pattern; i.e. - more water comes out of certain quadrants than the others. You can use this to adjust the 'major' lobe(s) to point into an open area, and the 'minor' lobes to point at closer objects by turning the powerhead. For the price, I don't see anything to beat them. No, they aren't Vortech's. But you could get 10-15 of them for the price of a Vortech.

bob

You will hear two tales about Koralias, I'm sure. I have been very pleased with mine. I have had a total of 6. Two of them just 'stopped' after about 2 years of continuous use. Replacing the impeller didn't help. The other 4 have been running from between 2 years and 6 months. I am planning to get a couple more. They have an 'uneven' flow, kind of randomly moving around - and a 'lobed' flow pattern; i.e. - more water comes out of certain quadrants than the others. You can use this to adjust the 'major' lobe(s) to point into an open area, and the 'minor' lobes to point at closer objects by turning the powerhead. For the price, I don't see anything to beat them. No, they aren't Vortech's. But you could get 10-15 of them for the price of a Vortech.

bob

+1 Bob could not said it better.

+1 Bob could not said it better.

I had 2 Korilia 3s for my 75 that just werent enough flow but worked great for 3+ years and are in use in my firends tank now running strong. I also used them on a wavemaker pro and they seem to do fine with random shut offs so far only annoying thing is sometimes when they are shut on and off the impellor starts the wrong way and pulls itself from the magnetism to drop back in and start spinning the correct way, this is supposed to happen but it makes a bit of noise, if you run them non stop you wont have the problem but i liked the wavemaker (as it was free) I now use 2 k4s in my 90 at night and they are nice and have a better amount of flow then the k3 imo

definately cant beat them for the price.

Edited by Der ABT

I had 2 Korilia 3s for my 75 that just werent enough flow but worked great for 3+ years and are in use in my firends tank now running strong. I also used them on a wavemaker pro and they seem to do fine with random shut offs so far only annoying thing is sometimes when they are shut on and off the impellor starts the wrong way and pulls itself from the magnetism to drop back in and start spinning the correct way, this is supposed to happen but it makes a bit of noise, if you run them non stop you wont have the problem but i liked the wavemaker (as it was free) I now use 2 k4s in my 90 at night and they are nice and have a better amount of flow then the k3 imo

definately cant beat them for the price.

Hydor just released a new Koralia design for use with wavemakers without the startup issues/noise, smaller size and less power requirements for the same gph.

I've always liked my Koralias, and Hydor's customer service is top notch in my experience - we have one of the first models to come out and the impeller shaft broke a couple months ago. Contacted them about finding a replacement shaft we could buy. Instead, they sent one to us free - even paid the shipping.

Edited by dshnarw