Pump Troubles

WaterDog

Here I am bailing water from the tank into the sump because the water level in the tank is too high, but the water level in the sump is too low. Is the overflow not working hard enough, the return pump working too hard, or something else entirely?

Here I am bailing water from the tank into the sump because the water level in the tank is too high, but the water level in the sump is too low. Is the overflow not working hard enough, the return pump working too hard, or something else entirely?

Your tank should be designed where the overflow can handle more water than the return pump can deliver. This way the water level in the display tank stabilizes at some level before water spills on the floor. Is the tank overflowing onto the floor if you stop bailing? If so, that means you have too much pump and not enough overflow.

- If there's a way to increase your overflow capacity, like installing larger diameter pipes or cutting additional overflow teeth, that will improve the overflow's ability to drain water into the sump.

- Likewise, you can use a smaller return pump or place a valve on the output of the return pump. If your pump moves more water than your overflow can handle though, the hazard with the valve is that you (or someone else) may accidently open it all the way someday, and spill water everywhere.

Your tank should be designed where the overflow can handle more water than the return pump can deliver. This way the water level in the display tank stabilizes at some level before water spills on the floor. Is the tank overflowing onto the floor if you stop bailing? If so, that means you have too much pump and not enough overflow.

- If there's a way to increase your overflow capacity, like installing larger diameter pipes or cutting additional overflow teeth, that will improve the overflow's ability to drain water into the sump.

- Likewise, you can use a smaller return pump or place a valve on the output of the return pump. If your pump moves more water than your overflow can handle though, the hazard with the valve is that you (or someone else) may accidently open it all the way someday, and spill water everywhere.

I haven't let it get that high, the water level does get higher than normal if I stop though.

We've had both the return pump and the overflow suction since we've had the tank (October) and there hasn't been an issue until today...

might be something stuck in your return tube.

There still water coming out of both the tubes, how would I check that without taking the pumps apart, or would I have to do that?

Edited by WaterDog

Everything seems fine for now, thanks for the help. As it turns out, I think there was something with the U-Tube because when I reprimed it everything seemed ok. Just in case though, where would one get a ball valve for a pump.

so i am assuming that everything was fine till recently?

i had the same problem and had some snails stuck in my pipes, water would still flow but was restricted

Yeah, if things go badly again we may end up checking the main pipe that goes into the sump for snails.

My gut tells me that what happened was you had air building up in your U-tubes because there wasn't enough flow going through it. If the flow is too slow, air bubbles can get trapped in the top and the more that accumulate, the slower the overflow works and therefore the less water you get going from top to bottom. This then slows down the pump as it struggles to get water (if it gets low enough, that is, to suck air). What kind of pump do you have on there and can you see if the U-tubes collect air?

My gut tells me that what happened was you had air building up in your U-tubes because there wasn't enough flow going through it. If the flow is too slow, air bubbles can get trapped in the top and the more that accumulate, the slower the overflow works and therefore the less water you get going from top to bottom. This then slows down the pump as it struggles to get water (if it gets low enough, that is, to suck air). What kind of pump do you have on there and can you see if the U-tubes collect air?

+1 Air in the u-tube. Is your overflow equipped with a single a dual tubes? Clear or opaque u-tubes?

I'm not a fan of U tube overflows, but some of the better ones have a fitting tapped right at the top. You hook that up to an aqua lifter or a maxi jet on the air adapter. Then if some air does get in there, the pump sucks it out so the overflow doesn't fail. Perhaps you can modify your so this doesn't happen again?

A ball valve can be purchased at any home improvement store like Home Depot just make sure that you only restrict the output. Never restrict the input of a pump. A gate valve is much better for fine control but they are more expensive and harder to find. I got mine at Bulk Reef Supply but there may be some LFS that have them.

Edited by hypertech

+1 Air in the u-tube. Is your overflow equipped with a single a dual tubes? Clear or opaque u-tubes?

+2, could be algae

I think it was either air or algae, because after we cleaned it out everything was working fine again. We have a mag 5 and only one clear U-tube so I would think we would be able to see the air, but it may have been since there was so much algae the tube was basically opaque.