DC Reefer presents "300 gallons of Happiness"

dcreefer

After years of starting, getting frustrated, stopping, and trying again, we have finally got sand, live rock and completed the cycling process! (poor assorted damsels)

gallery_2631464_409_342994.jpg

I've just added my first "real" inhabitants. A Sebae Clown [Prima] and some mystery Anemone that Prima had already selected as a home.

What type of anemone is this?

gallery_2631464_409_266444.jpg

Move damsels (thought the cycling process would have finished you off!)

gallery_2631464_409_457171.jpg

gallery_2631464_409_90533.jpg

Looks good, can't wait to see some coral in there! That's a red bubble tip anemone.

Thanks!

It looks like a purple sebae, H. crispa, to me but I can't tell for sure. What does the underside look like?

It is more purple than red...when I googled Entacmaea quadricolor that looks really different. I checked out a purple H.Crispa and that seems to fit the build! (That would make sense since a Sebae Clown pick it as a home in a tank full of anemones!) :lol:

Thanks for that.

The bottom is pinkish it has a few white bumps around where the tenicles start.

I'll post some more pics this evening.

Edited by dcreefer

Hmmm, yep I'd have to agree with Coralhind, I went through the pics real quick and saw the red so jumped to RBTA, but if you say it's more purple, and looking at the pics again, it does look like an LTA. Keep in mind that bubble tips can be many shades of several different colors. They can also have any of many different patterns.

Does it mean anything when his tentacles curl like this?

gallery_2631464_409_602539.jpg

A few more pics...

gallery_2631464_409_533251.jpg

gallery_2631464_409_162087.jpg

You can see that the tentacles around the edges are curled...

It looks a little different in the second set of pictures. Can you take a picture of the mouth and then get it to close and take a picture so we can see if it has any distinctive verrucae on the stalk?

Edited by Coral Hind

I'm sure it's just the lighting... but why does your sand look like it has a dark layer, and then a stark white layer? And I want to know how you got your tank cycled, and no crud or corruption on that pristine sand?? Yes - I have sand envy...

Looks nice!

bob

looks like a LTA or florida condi to me....and bob yea the sand appears to be differnts colors from room lighting/shaddowing.

u are right though that sand it WHITE! and where is the algal bloom! wait for it.. wait for it..... wait for it....... Boom. haha.

Edited by watson_barrett

looks like a LTA or florida condi to me....and bob yea the sand appears to be differnts colors from room lighting/shaddowing.u are right though that sand it WHITE! and where is the algal bloom! wait for it.. wait for it..... wait for it....... Boom. haha.

Yeah the sand is starting to get a little "boom" to it, but the clean up crew will be taking care of that shortly (hopefully). I think the dark layer that you saw was just a lack of light. The Sand bed is btw 5 and 6 inches. I did put 25 lbs of play sand into the tank and was too lazy to take it out before I added the other 370lbs of sand but I don't think that you can see that on these pics.

I will try and get the anemone to close up this evening and get some pics of the stalk.

The curling usually isn't a problem. Could be eating - mine curls when it touches some food to bring the food to its mouth. FWIW, the play sand can be bad - leaching silicates into the water. For the size tank, you have a very small amount but something to think about if you have corals problems down the road.

The curling usually isn't a problem. Could be eating - mine curls when it touches some food to bring the food to its mouth. FWIW, the play sand can be bad - leaching silicates into the water. For the size tank, you have a very small amount but something to think about if you have corals problems down the road.

Thanks Brian!

Do you believe that the answer to pollution is dilution? :lol: (crossing fingers) I would hate to have to uproot my sand in an effort to remove the stupid play sand...

I added a pair of maroon clowns and two small bubble tip anemones to the tank. The other clown (which Roozen's advertised as a Sebae, but I think it may be a banded clown or a Clarkii) was none too happy about the new addition and decided to chase the other female clear out of the tank.

After about a day of harassment and a complete break down & reassembly of the rock structures, I think the maroons may have a chance...stay tuned...

• 1 month later...

So I thought it's time to add a few more Pics and updates.

This is a little out of order so bare with me...

Shots of the tank cycling...Bye bye White sand hello Diatoms...

IMG_0457.jpg

Boo...

IMG_0454.jpg

Yucky cycle...where are the snails...send in the snails!

IMG_0455.jpg

So after adding more rocks and the tank has cycled...It's time to add some life!

Here we go...

IMG_0490.jpg

After Prima my large Clown took half of my Gold & Maroon's tail it was time to swap her out. (what can I say I love the Redskins) I swapped out the large Clarkii for a pair of smaller ones...way less drama

IMG_0483.jpg

You are both are correct! This (Slightly) Blue Hadonni Carpet is always hungry! Has never turned down any food! Thanks for the insight, I had been holding back on food a little. I'll increase the silver sides!

:angry: I hate micro bubbles! Looks like its snowing in my tank... :angry:

microbubbles.jpg

Are you sure its microbubbles? Looks like you have sugar fine sand. Your circ pump could be blowing it around. Just a thought.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about the playsand. If you do some searching here and other places you will see thousands of diatribes about whether silicate sand is good or bad. Even the experts have debated that but the general consensus from what I've gathered is that it is not a danger and there's been no conclusive evidence to support either argument.

• 3 months later...

Your right it has been a long time without any updates! Here are some...

I have now transitioned from a semi/quasi/mixed reef to an actual reef. (My big distinction is that a reef tank has more than just mushrooms & no fish that are "reef safe w/ caution"!)

The large rabbit fish I had decided that he really did like the the taste of leather corals :mad: and decided to swallow a "Volley Ball" sized one. :cry:

This is a photo of the coral the rabbitfish ate. I got it from Jarosh

185.jpg

Needless to say I had to get rid of the rabbit fish and the beloved puffer. I never saw the puffer eat any corals however he was eating/terrorizing every other invertebrate that was in the tank.

Don't try that tactic with me buddy, You're outta here!

IMG_0690.jpg

After the power outage that left parts of the Nation's Capital without power for a week (I lost power for 27 hours); I lost my large anemone, a 3 spot damsel, a blue damsel and a maroon clown...

(moment of silence)

IMG_0487.jpg

Boo Power's Out (Yes BWard that would be the Naso Tang laying on the bottom of the tank)

IMG_0720.jpg

He did survive...(He swims super fast so it's hard to get a good shot)

1912857f.jpg

afd15f20.jpg

Shot of the tank currently

bfbda986.jpg

a8fbc0dd.jpg

63c12d22.jpg

Thanks Forrest for the great corals, They are doing quite well.

f33ab45b.jpg

I have been on a live rock hunt recently trying to get great quality rock without having to answer to Upper Level Management (aka my lovely & supportive wife). I just don't think she would really understand going into a store to pay anywhere from 6 to 10 bucks per pound for the "Good" stuff. I scooped up a bit from extreme_tooth_decay (thanks Tim) and I checked out Dr Macs.

Dr Mac was not there but his staff was really good. I bought some big pieces of LR (priced really well) and once I got them home and dropped them in the tank I discovered little growths (dare I say polyps) coming out into the light!

Check it out and help me identify please... What are these?

9b16542d.jpg

09ca4241.jpg

29530536.jpg

fc2a122f.jpg

In the past, I think that I was a little fearful of going to a "complete" reef tank...The cost of mature/large corals and the time it takes a frag the size of a quarter to "grow" out. Now I have time and I am working on my patience...

Thanks BWard for the really nice corals

a94bb3a5.jpg

27546df7.jpg

dc3beda0.jpg

c1354688.jpg