Man down

wdytat

Came down today and my son noted a missing clownfish. So we went on the hunt. I took a look in the overflow, no luck. Not in the sump either!? There he was. Motionless on the floor behind the tank. Found him a bit too late.

:sad:

I can only assume he jumped out the side (which is a good 2 inch jump) and then flopped around to behind the stand. Because jumping out the back would have been about 5 inches or more.

Guess it's time to look for a better canopy and a new partner for my female clown.

awww I'm sorry for your loose Least you realized it before you smelled it! What kind of a clown was it ... in my experience get a really small one and it should be a male, might be wrong!

Came down today and my son noted a missing clownfish. So we went on the hunt. I took a look in the overflow, no luck. Not in the sump either!? There he was. Motionless on the floor behind the tank. Found him a bit too late.

:sad:

I can only assume he jumped out the side (which is a good 2 inch jump) and then flopped around to behind the stand. Because jumping out the back would have been about 5 inches or more.

Guess it's time to look for a better canopy and a new partner for my female clown.

Your "female" likely chased the "male" out of the tank. Without knowing much about the species, age, tank size, etc., I would be quite cautious about adding another clown at this time.

It was the standard True Perc from gioNVA's group buy back in April '09.

The larger of the two chased him here and there, but never over the edge. And the other fish don't really pay much attention to the clowns. But you never know! Either way, he was on the floor and is no more.

Sorry to hear. I have 1 clown from that group buy that I've been holding in a nano that I can give you.

How big is it? Depending on the size and since that one has been alone it may have already changed sex and would not be compatible.

It was the standard True Perc from gioNVA's group buy back in April '09.

The larger of the two chased him here and there, but never over the edge. And the other fish don't really pay much attention to the clowns. But you never know! Either way, he was on the floor and is no more.

April 09 until now is within the range of full maturity/breeding ready for a female. It is not unusual for "her" to ramp up the aggression at such times. A. percula tends to be a bit more aggressive among pairs then most of the A. ocellaris variants(B&W excepted), unless the fish sleeps at the top corner of the tank and got spooked: I would bank on the female chasing the male out of the tank shortly after lights out or at sunrise.

Going to need to cover the gap in the tank if you plan to add a new suitor to the mix, and I would make sure any such suitor is less then 1.5" total length, 1" might even be better if you can risk a small fish in your display tank.

I would not be surprised if it made the 5 inch jump at the back. I've found that when most fish jump, they don't flop around or move too much, and even if they do flop around they don't move far. You'd be amazed at some of the jumps fish will make. Somewhere I heard a story about some anthias in a shallow specimen contianer that the new owner sat on his kitchen island while he opened the hood to the tank or something. He turned around just in time to see one of the anthias fly ACROSS the kitchen and into the sink, and then down the drain. He got the tools out and opened up the trap, and the anthias was in there and ended up living. Pretty amazing story.

Sorry for rambling off topic and sorry for your loss!

I would not be surprised if it made the 5 inch jump at the back.

My female Nigripes clown, appropriately named Cujo, chased my hand out of my 300gal tank. She went nearly straight up, bounced off a raised for service Lumenarc reflector, deflected nearly 3 feet forward, and down 7 feet to the tile floor. Not only did she survive, she continued to lay 500+ eggs every 2 weeks until she died of unrelated causes. She never did learn to accept a "keepers hand" in the tank with her, even 300gal was not enough room :eek:

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll need to look into framing the rest of the hood I have in place, so I can avoid this in the future.

Francis - Very generous offer. You have PM.