54 Corner Update

dmatt56

Hello Everyone,

Here is my 6 month update. My softie tank is doing great under the PC lighting. I have several leathers that are going like crazy, zoas that keep spreading, and fish that seem happy. I did loose my male bangaii, but other than that - all is well. Here are a few new pictures:

gallery_2632035_733_28581.jpg

gallery_2632035_733_805632.jpg

gallery_2632035_733_118307.jpg

gallery_2632035_733_300252.jpg

gallery_2632035_733_627007.jpg

gallery_2632035_733_667158.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the corals, advice, and feedback throughout the last few months!!

Matt

Looks pretty good! I'd try and see if you can get some more, different colors in there. I know it's tough in a softy tank, but maybe try some green sinularia, or add some gorgonians. Also, just wondering, but how did you know it was a male? I was under the impression that you couldn't sex cardinals.

Looks pretty good! I'd try and see if you can get some more, different colors in there. I know it's tough in a softy tank, but maybe try some green sinularia, or add some gorgonians. Also, just wondering, but how did you know it was a male? I was under the impression that you couldn't sex cardinals.

The male had a wide, square mouth. Here's my hypothesis: the pair had several good days/weeks of mating. :cool: I'm guessing the male was too young to raise the offspring, and he ended up dying. Bangaiis are pretty sweat fish.

I do have a green sinularia frag on the sand bed, and I plan on mounting it on the rocks soon. I agree with your advice on color. The fish I have are 3 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 bangaii, 1 green mandarin, and 1 flame angel. What would be another good addition? I called Sean (Fins and Feathers) to order a yellow assessor. What else could I add in terms of fish?

I'm thinking about adding a RBTA for the O. clowns. The other choices are frogspawn or torch. Similarly, I'm ALWAYS up for options and ADVICE! Please, send them!

Thanks,

Matt

The male had a wide, square mouth. Here's my hypothesis: the pair had several good days/weeks of mating. :cool: I'm guessing the male was too young to raise the offspring, and he ended up dying. Bangaiis are pretty sweat fish.

I do have a green sinularia frag on the sand bed, and I plan on mounting it on the rocks soon. I agree with your advice on color. The fish I have are 3 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 bangaii, 1 green mandarin, and 1 flame angel. What would be another good addition? I called Sean (Fins and Feathers) to order a yellow assessor. What else could I add in terms of fish?

I'm thinking about adding a RBTA for the O. clowns. The other choices are frogspawn or torch. Similarly, I'm ALWAYS up for options and ADVICE! Please, send them!

Thanks,

Matt

Also, for some reason, my green ricordia died, but the blue, orange, and peach rics are all doing well. Anyone know why??

Not a clue, my green one just up and died one day too, no clue if it has anything to do with color or what. As for fish, I always love angels and anthias in tanks to add color. Maybe try a trio of small lyretail anthias, or a small regal angel or something, though it's pretty likely that a regal will take a liking to your softies

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for the next fish addition to my tank. I'm thinking about adding a yellow assessor for starters. I'd also love to add a pygmy or bicolor angel, but I'm not sure it would do well with my current flame angel; however, my flame angel has not demonstrated any aggression towards my other fish.

What would be a good "open water" fish fish to add? Fire fish? clown gobies? Any suggestions?

For a reminder, I have 2 clown, 3 chromis, a flame angel, a green mandarin, and 1 bangaii cardinal in my 54 gallon corner tank.

Thanks,

Matt

Looking nice, Matt. I really like soft corals, and it's great to see a tank devoted to them. As far as color goes, you might consider something like a frogspawn or hammer. They do well under PC lights, and can add some interesting shapes and colors. As far as fish, what you have is a decent population, but a sixline wrasse should fit in nicely.

if your looking for more softies. I have some dark maroon blushing colt coral. I can snip you off a piece if you need some red in your tank. just pm me if you want a piece of it. i do realize your not close, so if you ever make it down this way, just let me know.

eric