60 cube

zygote2k

your going to move from one room to the other and then back....there has to be a reason in there to upgrade to a bigger tank....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're getting new hardwood floors and the tank had to be moved to make installation easier.

I'm taking advantage of this temporary tear down to have Jeff build a new custom sump. I will now attempt to fit everything inside of the stand- sump, timers, electric, top-off, fuge. This will be the final definitive proof that I can have a small fuge and DSB that fits under the stand and is still capable of lush SPS growth.

Last night, I broke the DT down and put everything in a 50gal rubbermaid tank. I took lots of pictures to document the amount of growth of the SPS since switching to LED's. I'll be adding a 4th PAR38 bulb on this 'new' build as well.

gallery_2631654_582_33822.jpg

New floors!

Tank got re-set up with new sump from Jeff. All corals doing fine. It seems like the blue stag grew while living in the tub for 4 days without filtration. Just circulation and light.

One of the Lamarcks found the 1/2" gap that wasn't covered by eggcrate and dried to a crisp. The sixline had a heart attack or stroke and died from sheer terror upon going back into the tank.

I put about 2" of sand on the bottom and I skipped the addition of a DSB in the sump. Instead, I'm using just rock rubble and chaeto covered in eggcrate that gets hit with a ton of flow. Everything is now inside the cabinet.

gallery_2631654_582_713461.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think the exotic light strip helps fill in some of the dark spots in the tank, but you still have your spotlight effect. How bout a couple growth update pics..?

• 1 month later...
(edited)

It does look like a MH. Is there any light shimmer from the 50w?

mucho shimmer although there is a direct correlation of shimmer to surface agitation with this lamp or any LED lamp.

Edited by zygote2k

• 2 weeks later...

need some close up shots of the SPS you got from me last week. Would love to see how it looks under your lights as compared to mine..

need some close up shots of the SPS you got from me last week. Would love to see how it looks under your lights as compared to mine..

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

gallery_2631654_582_356594.jpg

Here's a few more too-

gallery_2631654_582_13555.jpggallery_2631654_582_137351.jpggallery_2631654_582_564881.jpg

Ecoxotic Photon Cannon 50w 12k.

i'm sorry, i know that's what you're using now, i mean the led bulbs that were in the fixture? those seemed to work well.

thanks!

also, is that a perfecto tank?

• 7 months later...

Just a little update. I stopped torturing the SPS with the skimmerless system- they grow, but they thrive with a good skimmer. On the other hand, LPS thrives in the skimmerless system.

Some pictures from tonight-

gallery_2631654_582_690897.jpggallery_2631654_582_752652.jpggallery_2631654_582_1103028.jpggallery_2631654_582_559370.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is one beautiful tank and some nicely done videos. The penetrating power of those LEDs is pretty impressive. So are you down to just one Lamark's now?

• 1 month later...
(edited)

new fts

gallery_2631654_582_711705.jpg

I'd like to add that this tank is still skimmerless. It is only filtered by a DSB and liverock. It gets once monthly w/c and only periodic dosing of kalkwasser. It's lit by LED too. Zero N03, or P04. Cal and Alk are within normal parameters.

Edited by zygote2k