Acrylic sump & Silicone & glass baffle

rainbowfish

I think silicone is fine in this application. Normally it doesn't bond really well to acrylic, but since a baffle often has water on both sides, it doesn't have much of a load against it. Just keep a bead of silicone on both sides to hold the glass in place.

can silicone be use to glue glass baffle into acrylic sump? or does PVC glue work? I am trying to add two more baffles into my acrylic sump.

TIA

Thats wgat I used, except my sump is glass and baffle acrylic.Just made sure it is100% silicone.No mildew repelents. Home Depot has it with the plexyglass.

I think silicone is fine in this application. Normally it doesn't bond really well to acrylic, but since a baffle often has water on both sides, it doesn't have much of a load against it. Just keep a bead of silicone on both sides to hold the glass in place.

thanks Tom! I know lots of folks on RC have no problems of using silicone with acrylic baffle in the glass sump. I might have to give it a try

Make sure it is thick enough to be rigid or it will bow and pop out.

When filling the sump make sure you fill both sides of the baffle as too much water pressure on one side will make it pop out. I have seen a few glass ones break like that.

Make sure it is thick enough to be rigid or it will bow and pop out.

When filling the sump make sure you fill both sides of the baffle as too much water pressure on one side will make it pop out. I have seen a few glass ones break like that.

do you mean the glass or silicone? and if I fill both sides of the baffle with water, how can I check to make sure it's not leaking.

thanks

When I used the thin glass from Lowe's, after a while my baffles cracked. That glass is too thin.

I then used 1/4" acrylic that Lowe's cut for me, and it was indestructible. I used a very heavy bead of silicone on both sides to attach it to the glass sump.

do you mean the glass or silicone? and if I fill both sides of the baffle with water, how can I check to make sure it's not leaking.

thanks

If the plexi is thin it will bow in the middle and pop out.

The baffles do not have to be water tight.

When I used the thin glass from Lowe's, after a while my baffles cracked. That glass is too thin.

I then used 1/4" acrylic that Lowe's cut for me, and it was indestructible. I used a very heavy bead of silicone on both sides to attach it to the glass sump.

so I guess I'll be using a thicker glass then.

so I guess I'll be using a thicker glass then.

You could glue 2 pieces of the thin glass together with a lot of silicone. Or use acrylic. Lowe's will cut either for you.

I bought a 2'x4' sheet of .220 acrylic from Lowe's, made 4 baffles out of half of it, and sold the other half to a WAMAS member.