agarg 210 tank upgrade

bshriver

After over a year of slow progress, things are finally starting to move with my 210G upgrade.

Here are some pics over the last year or so.

Old 46B tank

tank07312006.jpg

IMG_4178_edited.jpg

New tank

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8380.jpg

XMAS 08 - yes it took me over a year to get it running.

IMG_9399.jpg

IMG_9400.jpg

rock tower 1 - the other two will come as fish from two other tanks are moved - the LR is in my old 46B and some fish are coming from my 110G display/66G frag system (blue tang, achilles tang, sailfin tang, anthia)

rocktower.jpg

November 09

6733ba81.jpg

42defddf.jpg

0436e9ba.jpg

6e398383.jpg

4cc435d8.jpg

First lights - actinics and one LB 400W running - still need to raise the canopy and add fans

b4b9484a.jpg

Par is two high at current height. This reading was about 8 inches into the water

941ce6ce.jpg

Dec 2, 2009 - finally some life - a seed rock from the 46B

f6585b80.jpg

Lights

a3a87b2e.jpg

12/5/2009 - canary in a coal mine

113f3bf5.jpg

Second skimmer which has been replaced by a Deltec Turbo 1250

c1897aa9.jpg

Primary Skimmer

d7744d2e.jpg

Return pump

ca7a39b3.jpg

First biolad!!!

12/8/2009

4de221ed.jpg

More biolad and the diatom bloom FINALLY came

d407bc71.jpg

406616cf.jpg

The new view from my favorite LR chair!!! I can just imagine the potential when this view is full of SPS!!!!

fb7f6571.jpg

891c01a2.jpg

New Years Day 2010 - finally some decent pictures not taken with a phone, but still ony 33% done with the aquascape.

(edited)

New Years Day Pics

"Carpet Leather" anemone :) I'll leave the leather in for now but it may need to go as SPS begin to dominate. The clowns love it more than the RBTAs though.

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

Moved some big frags out of my frag tank in here for now. I need to sell most of these.

IMG_1176.jpg

The SPS "Canary in a coal mine took off growing"!!

IMG_1174.jpg

tyree Flower petal, tyree tri-color coloring up, birds nests. The pink one turned HOT pink under the new lights since this pic.

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

psammy

IMG_1149.jpg

hydnophoras - I need to sell one of these - pm me if you want one. They are a few inches across.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

A. Turaki

IMG_1154.jpg

Purple hornets all closed up

IMG_1156.jpg

A Gomezi

IMG_1232.jpg

Digis

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

poci - this was in my "Frag" tank. A pretty big "frag"

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

Miami Orchid - trying to get its color back

IMG_1265.jpg

FTS - Actinics only

IMG_1272.jpg

TODO:

Plumb in 15GH fuge

raise canopy for LBs and add fans

add 10G frag tank between fuge and sump

hook up kalk stirrer

hook up CA reactor (DIY two part like crazy for now)

add two rock towers - one on the left, one in the middle

move in more old fish - yellow tang, purple tang, sailfin tang, achilles tang, hippo tang

and on and on.....

Thanks for looking!

Edited by bshriver

Very nice work. I see lots of creation soon to come with your SPS collection. Just becareful about placing Zoas in the tank. I had a nice Zoa garden growing for sometime then one day they all started to die off. I lots all my blues (50+ polyps), my purples (50+), olive oil (100+), dragons eyes(100+) and my Bambams (25+). They all just melted away. But the SPS is growing just fine.

Very nice work. I see lots of creation soon to come with your SPS collection. Just becareful about placing Zoas in the tank. I had a nice Zoa garden growing for sometime then one day they all started to die off. I lots all my blues (50+ polyps), my purples (50+), olive oil (100+), dragons eyes(100+) and my Bambams (25+). They all just melted away. But the SPS is growing just fine.

Thanks reefmontalvo!

I have had similar problems with zoos in the past in my 110 system. Vitamin C tends to stop it better than anything else I have tried. Furan II (I think that is what it is called) helps but it takes a heck of a lot more work than the vitamin C. Swapping carbon and a few water changes usually helps too. They must be the most tempermental beginner coral out there :)

I am hoping to get a rock of the hornets growing by itself in this tank. It is a frag and the mother colony is in a different tank. I may also have a fw disc in the sand bed of them. I like how they look when they cover the whole disc.

Looking great! I wish I had a 210g!

Thanks Ryan! Looks like your current tank is pretty close to that size though. This 210 is essentially a 180 with a few extra inches of height.

(edited)
Yes. It's time like this I wish I had more than a 46 gallon. Great work! :biggrin:

:) My 46B was great! It got me hooked on this hobby over 4 years ago. I'll miss it :)

The tank looks like it is going to be awesome once you get it finished.

When you had the high Par reading, what color temp and brand of bulb were you using?

Lumen Bright min reflectors, Ushio 400W 20K bulb (3 months old), hydrafarms ballast. The PAR reading is so high because the lumen brights need to be mounted 18 inches from the water to cover the 2x2 area. They are a very focused reflector. Currently they are problably closer to 10 or 12 inches. I need to raise them and then the par will go down where I took that measurement but it will be more evenly spread over the 2x2 area. They are a great reflector if you can get them to the right height.

This tank is on it's way. Looking great so far. Can't wait to see the finished aquascaping. Will this be mainly SPS or mixed?

Mainly SPS and LPS in the sand. The leather may stay - not sure. I also have a green toadstool that I don't know what to do with. And of course, a few zoa rocks. By the three coral towers will be covered with SPS. I plan on growing large monti caps in the back corners. Probably the orange and a flower petal. I have a green and purple taking over 1/3 of my 110 system. I just started using them as live rock for other corals in that system :)

Edited by bshriver

Those corals look great. Do you plan on adding more rock?

Those corals look great. Do you plan on adding more rock?

Thanks Vader!

Yes. There will be three rock towers. You can see the PVC for the remaining two in the fts.

I have 5 tangs moving in from my old 46b that is shutting down and from the system that you saw in my basement. You came by once with Chuck I think before you setup your tanks.

I will move LR from the 46 when I add the tangs. As soon as I catch the hippo tang I will build the middle tower.

The middle tower will be shorter to leave some swimming room and room for growth.

After I move the hippo in I will move a purple, achilles and a yellow tang in together.

Finally I have a 3/4 grown sailfin that I will try last since he is the biggest.

I am hoping they all get along.

Thanks Vader!

Yes. There will be three rock towers. You can see the PVC for the remaining two in the fts.

I have 5 tangs moving in from my old 46b that is shutting down and from the system that you saw in my basement. You came by once with Chuck I think before you setup your tanks.

I will move LR from the 46 when I add the tangs. As soon as I catch the hippo tang I will build the middle tower.

The middle tower will be shorter to leave some swimming room and room for growth.

After I move the hippo in I will move a purple, achilles and a yellow tang in together.

Finally I have a 3/4 grown sailfin that I will try last since he is the biggest.

I am hoping they all get along.

Outstanding, can't wait to see how it looks and good luck with the fish.

Outstanding, can't wait to see how it looks and good luck with the fish.

You and me both :)!! I have had this sitting empty in my LR for a year waiting to get the floor re-inforeced. I finally just moved it to an orientation that did not require re-inforcement.

I alomst caught that hippo tonight but he got out before I got the trap out of the water. :) I might have to buy one with a string release door.

The copper band in the 110 does not move to the 210. I can catch him at will of course :)

• 1 month later...

I caught some tangs and built out the middle tower. The left tower will have to wait until I find two more large pieces of dry rock.

The sand is becoming a refuge for frags for sale :)

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

And a video

th_MVI_1560.jpg

Beautiful tank. I personally think that you should keep the leather.......it's a beautiful centerpiece. Kudos.

Thanks Steve! And yes, the "Carpet Leather Anemone" has become the signature for the tank already even though it is a work in progress. Everyone who sees it loves it, so it is staying in its current location permanently :) I would have never thought that the first coral I ever owned would become the centerpiece for this tank :)

(edited)

Looks like a great build. I have a CO2 tank laying around if you need one for that reactor.

Thank for the compliment and the offer! But, the CA reactore is in full gear now. I actually need to test today to make sure it is dialed in correctly!

Latest mods:

Custom 30 gallon refugium for under the stand is in progress this week.

BRK doser added for mag supplementation.

CA reactor and reverse flow second chamber up and running.

I bought some used tunze 6100s and the controller to replace one of the modded maxjets.

Slow and steady....

Edited by bshriver

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta love out of calibration ph probes. I knew it needed calibrated based on how the readings always seemed too low, but I still let it fool me into adding a little too much kalk. Nothing hurt and nothing lost, but I did cause a late night snow storm. Params were only a little low the next morning and are all in check again now. I spent the time to recal that probe too :)

I finally picked up my custom fuge and I will plumb it in this weekend. It will add another 25 to 30 gallons to the system and fills up the remaining open space under the stand.

I also bought a BRK doser to keep up my mag levels only to find out that with my new ca reactor media I don't seem to need it any more as my mag levels stay high.