Surface skimming vs Noise

onux20

I have been battling the noise from my overflows since I set up the tank. I added strainers to the elbows (overflows) and it works great. The noise is about a third of what it was. The issue now is I have a slick across the surface of the tank. I think it is because the water has a chance to slip back in to the tank through the strainer grates that are under water. (I hope that made sense) Therefore the surface skimming is not very efficient. I put some tape over the strainer grates that are below the surface and that reduced the slick a little but not completely gone. How do I fix this? :cry:

Ron

I have an oil slick on the surface too, but it comes and goes depending on the type of food and mysterious plankton blooms. It seems to cause no harm so I leave it alone.

it sounds like the tank has drilled over flows rather than a overflow box

Dope,

I realized that might be the case after I replied, buy you can still put a Tee in the back and run a vent up, cap it, and drill hole bigger hole till it's quiet.

That should work.

Dunno if this works for everyone, but I completely rid noise and oil slick with my drilled over flows by attaching a elbow pointing up or angled and then using the conicle shaped strainers that come with most pumps. Then snipped out every other "rib" to give it the extra flow. Worked like a charm for me. Just be sure to match the dimension for dimension of the pvc. Was a lot easier than all the extra tubing needed for most other fixes.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Well I lowered the noise level. Now just down to a low hum. I took two 1" strainers and dropped them in the overflow. Noise level has gone way down. Nothing scientific about this. The water just has less distance to fall and therefore doesnt create as much noise. Thanks to all for the advice and tips.

Ron

Did it make any difference with the "slick" on the water's surface?