Coral ID

Jon Lazar

Funny thing about named corals, I had a colony of that 10 years ago that was simply a bird nest. Same colors, same growth pattern, same everything - except it had no name and a 2" frag cost $10. Naming is nice and all, but I think it gets carried to extremes at time...

Seriatopora hystrix. Orange body strain with purple polyps. Depending on the flow they are exposed to, their branches will be thinner, longer, and more delicate, or stubbier, blunt, and thicker.

Seriatopora hystrix. Orange body strain with purple polyps. Depending on the flow they are exposed to, their branches will be thinner, longer, and more delicate, or stubbier, blunt, and thicker.

Hey Dave, what flow produces which behavior? More flow thinner and less flow thicker?

Because I get really thick and stubby growth out of my Birds of Paradise.

Definitely not a ponape birdsnest.like Dave said, just a common seriatopra hystrix.

ORA BIRDS OF PARADISE.

Although mine is thicker branched and "bushy" from PE. But the colors are exactly the same and I have seen it in other peoples tanks with thin branches and less PE like this.

Edited by reefhunter

my tubbs turned pink in my tank after a few years. Still have the purple polyps just pink. I got it as a 1 inch frag and now its 7 inches around! The tubbs and the so called bird of paradise are the same thing IMO just different names. Its still a birds nest

It sorta looks like this one. I got this one a couple months ago. I was told it was called a Frog in a Blender Birds Nest.

I purchased it from a member of Richmond Reef Club.

011.jpg

It sorta looks like this one. I got this one a couple months ago. I was told it was called a Frog in a Blender Birds Nest.

I purchased it from a member of Richmond Reef Club.

011.jpg

No... it doesn't look like that one. That one has more 'character'. :) Kind of like a frog in a blender.

bob