plumbing emergency - advice needed ASAP

dano

just did a water change and I can't get the overflow to work right and the water is running over.... I have an overflow in the corner with a tube going down to the sump, and a white plastic bobber type thing with a longer extension tube on the vbottom and a smaller angled one at the top. I don't undertstand the way it works but haven't had problems with it in the past. So my problem now is that it either just hugs the bottom tube without lifting at all or lifts all the way to the top. Uusally, the overflow is about an inch or two below the tank level. It is now even with the tank level and the water in my sump is just an inch or two and sucking air... any ideas? Thanks much. Dano

If you can turn off the return pump without overflowing the sump, I would try that...that would drop the water level in the tank and then hopefully your overflow will float to the correct height once your turned on the return pump...just a guess...I wouldn't attempt if this would overflow your sump.

If you can turn off the return pump without overflowing the sump, I would try that...that would drop the water level in the tank and then hopefully your overflow will float to the correct height once your turned on the return pump...just a guess...I wouldn't attempt if this would overflow your sump.

My guess is you need to re-syphon the overflow. Assumming you have the U shaped tube.

No u tube return. Doesn't overflow the sump and I've already tried on off a few times. Still not working. Maybe I'll stick a hose down the overflow. Thanks for the ideas. Any others?

Any chance you can take a picture of what your looking at?

thanks all .. the problem is resolved... I tried to sanke it by inserting a hose from the top and the bottom (there is a bend in the overflow hose which connects the tube from the tank to the sump and I couldn't get the snaking hose all the way through). I blew hard into the snaking hose from both ends. Just as I was about to send Chip some pictures from my phone ( I don't yet know how to add pictures to the web site), I tried turning on the pump one more time and it is working. You are the best ... the help I get from Wamas and all of youze is just incredible and so appreciated. :clap: Of course, that means I end up having a much bigger, better equipted and more beautiful corals than I ever would have imagined and of course that means my kids and wife won't get holiday presents :cry: because i spend all my money on the tank (LOL) :lol2: . Happy, healthy and merry to all. Dano