macro lense suggestions

L8 2 RISE

I have a D40 and am looking for macro lense suggestions. Nothing that will break the bank but something pretty decent that gets you closer than the 18-55mm stock lense. I'm gonna need this with the new cuttles coming!

I have a D40 and am looking for macro lense suggestions. Nothing that will break the bank but something pretty decent that gets you closer than the 18-55mm stock lense. I'm gonna need this with the new cuttles coming!

They have adapters that you can use. You might be satisfied with those results.

This is the one I want....but it's $890 :(

Nikon 105mm f/2.G ED-IF AF-S VR

Here is one I'm considering and it's much cheaper, $480

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro AF

That last one is the one SteveM on here uses with his Nikon. I think he has the D300 or D500. I use a D200. You may want to contact Steve on what he recommends. There might be an adapter that he has used that he can recommend.

Stay away from the "close-up-lens-kit" type of stack-able lenses. The quality is not very good and I don't think you would be happy with the results. With most reef tank type of macro photography you need some reach. The 105mm length works well for most all fish tank type of photos and I have one that I am very happy with. The Sigma 105mm is an excellent lens and I believe almost as good as the Nikon version at about half the price. That would be my recommendation.

I have the Sigma 105 and D40 and am happy with the results. I've found though that you absolutely have to use a tripod when taking macro shots though. Not just to provide a stable platform and prevent motion blur, but because the depth of field is so shallow and the lens is manual focus with the D40. So if you move the tiniest bit your manual focus will be off.

I also use the ML-L3 remote.

Depending upon your budget, Sam, you may find that a close up lens kit gives you acceptable results. They've been part of my arsenal for over 30 years, and that includes the time I spent as the photo and managing editor of my college newspaper. I've also kept dedicated macro lenses in that time. Of course, using a lens that's built for the purpose is always good, but you have to figure in what resources you have and how much you figure you're going to use it.

Here, for example, are two pics taken using a +4 adapter.

gallery_2631296_588_75836.jpg

gallery_2631296_588_67340.jpg

The first pic used auto focus and a 1/2 second exposure, while the second was manual focus and a bit faster (1/4 sec).

This colony, by the way, is one of my recent acquisitions from F&F.

Depending upon your budget, Sam, you may find that a close up lens kit gives you acceptable results. They've been part of my arsenal for over 30 years, and that includes the time I spent as the photo and managing editor of my college newspaper. I've also kept dedicated macro lenses in that time. Of course, using a lens that's built for the purpose is always good, but you have to figure in what resources you have and how much you figure you're going to use it.

Here, for example, are two pics taken using a +4 adapter.

gallery_2631296_588_75836.jpg

gallery_2631296_588_67340.jpg

This colony, by the way, is one of my recent acquisitions from F&F.

I think I wil have to go with the stackables. $500 is just too much for me... Don't get me wrong I'd love a macro lense, but when I said something that wouldn't break the bank, I didn't realize that meant a $500 lense :eek:. I was thinking more along the lines of 2-300 max. Thanks a lot everyone for all the advise.

Have you considered reconditioned or used lenses? You can get a lens for much less that still works with the Nikons if you buy an older type that is not autofocus. You'd have to do some searching around, but some of the camera shops around here have them on occasion. Plus, Penn Camera lets you buy for 1 week and return for full refund - if you want to try it out, just be really careful not to damage any of the packaging and you can return it. I did that with a Nikon zoom lens a couple of years ago - it just didn't produce quality shots so I returned it after 6 days.

I have stackables but prefer my great point & shoot Lumix and a magnifying glass if it's near the tank glass or surface -

green_envy.jpg

Have you considered reconditioned or used lenses? You can get a lens for much less that still works with the Nikons if you buy an older type that is not autofocus. You'd have to do some searching around, but some of the camera shops around here have them on occasion. Plus, Penn Camera lets you buy for 1 week and return for full refund - if you want to try it out, just be really careful not to damage any of the packaging and you can return it. I did that with a Nikon zoom lens a couple of years ago - it just didn't produce quality shots so I returned it after 6 days.

Yeah, if you have the Dxxx (D200, etc) series, it has the motor built in to the body. So you can use older lenses and still have autofocus. Unfortunately for him, he will have to do manual focus. But this is the very reason why I got the D200. I believe that I had found some old film macro Nikon lenses on eBay for $100 - $200.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same boat. I just purchased a Nikon d3000 (my first slr) and the 18-55mm (macro mode) is having troubles with my new fish fry. I am still exploring some of the settings but, I don't think it is going to cut it. I suppose the magnifying attachment might be a good option. I have been looking for used macro lenses but they are far and few.