bryopsis battles

zygote2k

I thought i read he could not get rid of it. I jumped the gun too quickly when i missed his post about the fact that his bryopsis IS going away. I was just trying to help him get rid of it by what I have discovered in my journy's. I never said Kent is the "only" thing that kills, only when it seems you cant, and you have held levels around 1800 for a length of time. Thats all I was trying to convey.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dosed 5 ml every other day in my 54g.

I started to see results right away with the spot dosing (in one day), but took about 3 weeks to get rid of those clumps altogether.

Started seeing generalized decline when I got to about 1300. (My Mg was 900 when I started).

I finished off the bottle I had and I don't remember the brand and then bought a bottle of ESV B-ionic and thats what I was using until it disappeared.

Laura

Awesome. Was that in the tank with your RBTA in it? I only ask because I have a friend having troubles with the anemones while doing the mag treatment.

RBTA and 2 GBTA's doing just fine in high Magnesium. Linckia and 3 serpent stars bit the dust though. Encrusting montis having difficulty too.

Last nights water parameters-

Cal 400ppm

Alk 3.15 meq/l

Mag 1950 ppm

ph 8.15

Great info z2k! I just noticed all my asterina starfish are gone. I had three monitipora, all orange, two digitatas and an encrusting one that faded. I hadn't thought about the higher magnesium being the cause but your observation sheds some light on that. I moved them to another tank to recover. I didn't have any issues with the other corals or fish at all.

Yes, it is the tank with the RBTA. Mg didn't seem to bother it, even when I was spot dosing 20 ml right next to it. Nothing in my tank died.

Ok so I got the hair algee... I got cycled live rock thats not covered but has a good bit..first questoin does anything eat the stuff... tangs, sea urchins or anything else.I'm also trying magnesuim....I turned off my power heads and poured the recomend does in... I also removed the live rock I could and soaked it in tap water.. next up more magnsuim....how do you tell one sea urchin from another...I scraped the algee off the glas and filtered it with a net and a power head... does anyone got a good photo of hair algee so I can make sure this is what I got.... thanks Troy

I've always had very small amounts of Bryopsis in my tank but it has never gotten out of control. I would ask 'how much cheato do you have growing?' In my my 29G there are 20Gs of water and my 2G fuge is filled with cheato. Also, I have 2 very strong lights on the cheato. I think a lot of people underestimate the light that macro-algae needs to out-compete other forms of algae.