odd worm

Noobalicious

no pic because I kinda smooshed it getting it out of the tank :blink: .

maybe from my description, someone might know what it is.

about 3/4 inch long, very thin, white, segregated, looks like some bristles coming off sides. It's head almost looked like the filter thingies off of a sea cucumber.

I had seen it climbing the tank walls, but really didn't pay much attention until it started swimming. It would lift off the tank wall and then a few seconds later it would start corkscrewing in the water to swim around.

after watching it doe this a couple times i decided to get it out in case it was a parasite that could bother one of my fish.

does this sound like anything you guys have seen before?

thanks,

Steve

did it look like this?

If so, it's a good thing you killed it now. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have know what happened when you didn't show up to the meeting tomorrow.

gallery_2631654_455_38022.jpg

LOL. You're in a rare mood this evening, Zygote.

Start here in wetwebmedia's worm ID: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/HighInvertInd.htm

. When you say "segregated" with bristles coming off each side, I assume you mean "segmented" with bristles. In this case, the worm is a polychaete worm - the family that contains bristle worms. So start in the "Polychaete Identification" area. There's a number of polychaete ID pages, so you may have to search for something that loooks familiar.

This page identifies a similar worm, that swam in a corkscrewing motion (it's about 3/4 down the page - search (ctrl-F) the page for the word "cork"). The reply identified the worm as an errantiate polychaete.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/polychaeidfaq3.htm