Where to buy a custom tank?

elm66

Hi There,

I am looking into getting a glass tank with about the following sizes: 72"x24"x24". I do not think I can get that type of tanks from a local fish store unless it is custom. Aquarium obsession seemed an option when I looked months ago. Obviously there are been several issues. Does anybody have an address (local or not) where well built large tanks can be purchased. My wishes are black silicon with a central location for the overflow.

Thanks

Eric

PM board member NAGA He does acrylic but I think he does glass too, if not I'm betting he know who does

Edited by jason the filter freak

Hi There,

I am looking into getting a glass tank with about the following sizes: 72"x24"x24". I do not think I can get that type of tanks from a local fish store unless it is custom. Aquarium obsession seemed an option when I looked months ago. Obviously there are been several issues. Does anybody have an address (local or not) where well built large tanks can be purchased. My wishes are black silicon with a central location for the overflow.

Thanks

Eric

eric,

that is a standard 180 gallon size. you can get a non-reef ready unit and have it drilled for an overflow with glass holes. that would be your cheapest option. NAGA has a special going for a 180 gallon acrylic in the vendor section if your interested..

but for the cost of the black silicon, im not sure if its worth paying a custom price for just that.

but if you got deep pockets...go for it..

any tank manufacturer , through a retailer, can get a prefabbed tank drilled to spec for close loops etc,. the distributors get charged more so the retailer generally charges more. so you can get semi custom from any LFS. certain stores deal with AGE if you want totally custom.

Sean

Hi There,

Thanks

Eric

Eric, a standard 180 gallon tank is about 73 x 25 x 26 (outside dimensions), or about 72 x 24 x 24 inside.

Eric, a standard 180 gallon tank is about 73 x 25 x 26 (outside dimensions), or about 72 x 24 x 24 inside.

I may get flamed for this, but I was originally trying it get a 60" long 156 gallon from Oceanic. Oceanic is having serious financial problems so I wasn't able to get a tank and matching stand after waiting for more than 3 months.

I gave up and ordered a tank from Glasscages. I know they have had a terrible reputation on the internet over the last few years, but I read the threads carefully and it looked like they have been getting better. I got a real nice tank from them with starfire front glass, black silicone and custom overflows. I put water in it next week. We will see how it goes, but so far the experience has been really good.

You are welcome to have a look if you like.

I may get flamed for this, but I was originally trying it get a 60" long 156 gallon from Oceanic. Oceanic is having serious financial problems so I wasn't able to get a tank and matching stand after waiting for more than 3 months.

I gave up and ordered a tank from Glasscages. I know they have had a terrible reputation on the internet over the last few years, but I read the threads carefully and it looked like they have been getting better. I got a real nice tank from them with starfire front glass, black silicone and custom overflows. I put water in it next week. We will see how it goes, but so far the experience has been really good.

Thanks for the update. Got any pictures?

Not sure why you'd think you would get flamed. It's good to hear about both positive and negative experiences. I'm happy that you had a positive experience with them. Good luck with your upcoming pressure test!

Not sure why you'd think you would get flamed. It's good to hear about both positive and negative experiences. I'm happy that you had a positive experience with them. Good luck with your upcoming pressure test!

Hello all and thanks for your feedback.

I should have been more explicit in my wishes. I am trying to get a tank either rimless or with euro brass (not sure of the spelling). The black silicon would be a nice addition as algae would be much less visible on them (compared to transparent silicon). I understand that the size 72x24x24 is pretty much standard but they predominantly come with 2 side overflow. I'd rather like to have a central overflow. Related to acrylic vs glass. I like the fact that glass is less scratch-able than acrylic. Its maintenance is therefore easier unless things have changed and there are good ways to maintain an acrylic aquarium.

Glasscage is not an option for me after reading the various threads and horror stories. I also have seen one of their aquarium and found the finish to be subpar. No good adjustment, polished edges non uniform etc. Needless to say I was not impressed. I am somewhat demanding when it is question of finish.

Thanks

Eric

Hello all and thanks for your feedback.

I should have been more explicit in my wishes. I am trying to get a tank either rimless or with euro brass (not sure of the spelling). The black silicon would be a nice addition as algae would be much less visible on them (compared to transparent silicon). I understand that the size 72x24x24 is pretty much standard but they predominantly come with 2 side overflow. I'd rather like to have a central overflow. Related to acrylic vs glass. I like the fact that glass is less scratch-able than acrylic. Its maintenance is therefore easier unless things have changed and there are good ways to maintain an acrylic aquarium.

Glasscage is not an option for me after reading the various threads and horror stories. I also have seen one of their aquarium and found the finish to be subpar. No good adjustment, polished edges non uniform etc. Needless to say I was not impressed. I am somewhat demanding when it is question of finish.

Thanks

Eric

Call Sean over at Fins & Feathers (Ashburn) about an A.G.E. You can see some of their work here: http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/index-1.html