Multiple skimmers on one tank

spykey

Does any one use more than one skimmer for their tank? I currently have two Aqua C remora Skimmers on my 75 gallon mixed reef tank. I can't say I notice the difference when I take one of them out of service. I get great skimmate from both.

thanks

I used to run two Precision Marine HOTs, supposedly OK to up a 50 gallon tank, on a heavily populated 29 gallon. The total volume of skimmate seemed to be the same using just one or both. I think what was happening was that that particular model would remove bad stuff in the water down to a concentration of X, after which it wouldn't pull any more out. At that point, using two or three skimmers wouldn't have made any difference.

I had some so-so problems with water quality even with two skimmers. Possibly, with better skimmers, the concentration would go from X with one skimmer, to X/2 with two.....

I think one would be much better off with one superior skimmer, rather than two or three so-so skimmers.

Over skimming can be a bad thing. You do want some organics in the water to feed the micro-organisms that help with the over all bio diversity of the tank.

When using two skimmers the stronger of the two can keep the second one from working, making using two skimmers sometimes pointless.

if you have the space its not a horrible idea to have two skimmers in sump so if one goes down or you have something die or other organic disaster that could potentially cause a a tank crash... having that back up seconday skimmer in place could come in very hadny. also having one there so that if you have to take one out for servicing you can continue or start running the other with out skipping a beat and you can just alternate skimmers

When using two skimmers the stronger of the two can keep the second one from working, making using two skimmers sometimes pointless.

I've seen this posted before and I am going to call BS. I frequently run two skimmers, my main skimmer is a 12" model that pulls 3000lph of air and processes 1000gph and then I almost always have a skimmer I am testing in the 1000lph and 350gph range.

Does the big skimmer skim less? Yes.

Does the little skimmer skim less than it would if it was running by itself? Yes?

Does the output of the two skimmers equal the amount I would get from just running the large skimmer by itself? Yes.

If I just run the little skimmer does it skim equal amount as if I just ran the big skimmer? No.

So ratings on the skimmer and the effectiveness of the unit matter a heck of a lot more that a simple one or two number of units on the tank. For the OP I would suggest measuring the output and make a subjective annalysis of the quality of skimmate for a period of one week for both skimmers. Then just run one for a week and make the same evaluation. If you notice less volume or quality by only using one skimmer then keep em both going or get a bigger or more efficient unit. If you notice no difference then, sell one off or keep it as a backup/spare parts.