So is it ok to....

trockafella

Get corals on here for free or purchase and turn around and sell them on CL..? I guess ethically its not, but there is no rule... Just noticed a certain someone who is buying up a lot of things and turning around and reselling on CL for more... Just thought I would mention that bc I know some members dont care for it, including myself, especially if it was given away for free.. So I guess we ought to pay more attention to who we sell to...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they're buying and reselling on CL it's really not anyones concern. They own it free and clear. They can do what they want with it. It's no different than the vendor that buys someones entire stock for dirt cheap and sells it off piece by piece for a lot more. It's their perogative. It's smart actually.

Get corals on here for free or purchase and turn around and sell them on CL..? I guess ethically its not, but there is no rule... Just noticed a certain someone who is buying up a lot of things and turning around and reselling on CL for more... Just thought I would mention that bc I know some members dont care for it, including myself, especially if it was given away for free.. So I guess we ought to pay more attention to who we sell to...
Edited by Jan

Please hit report this thread with the name of the person you see doing this. It could have an impact on their membership status (vendor versus bulletin board member versus regular member). Thanks!

Can you elaborate a little more on vendor versus bulletin board member versus regular member or direct me to the rules on this, please?

Please hit report this thread with the name of the person you see doing this. It could have an impact on their membership status (vendor versus bulletin board member versus regular member). Thanks!

Well if they're buying and reselling on CL it's really not anyones concern. They own it free and clear. They can do what they want with it. It's no different than the vendor that buys someones entire stock for dirt cheap and sells it off piece by piece for a lot more. It's their perogative. It's smart actually.

I second Jan's response, if you realy have a problem with this person selling for a proffit on CL then send him/her an email through CL and let them know you know. Not that it would inpact or affect his/her descision on selling the item but it will let the seller know you know what his up to.

So it's wrong and/or unethical to buy from one source and sell it to a different source? Maybe cause s/he's not called a "vendor" so he cant do it? =(

and this person's time and effort to go around looking for cheap stuff from many different places and then put time and effort to sell it at one place is not right either...

Edited by hlem

Please don't get me wrong. I was specific for a reason. Buying and reselling to me is no issue. Getting freebies because you're a "privliaged member" and reselling is different. But in this economy I can't blame anyone. People are hurting.

I'd also like the option of picking and choosing who I give freebies to. I give away a lot frags to new people and to other members that i know wont sell them. I also give frags to some members that i know will sell them. Freebies to the latter is my choice and I'd like to keep having that be my choice. If some newbie is doing this they should think twice. It could hurt them in the long run. As the saying goes "don't be penny wise and pound foolish". It's not worth it.

I second Jan's response, if you realy have a problem with this person selling for a proffit on CL then send him/her an email through CL and let them know you know. Not that it would inpact or affect his/her descision on selling the item but it will let the seller know you know what his up to.
Edited by Jan

Thanks Jan, you hit it on the head.. Were all free to do what we want, but I dont think its a very ethical to take advantage of a group thats likes to help each other out and use it for profit.. I just posted this as a warning.. And I have recieved a lot of pms from people who want to know so they dont deal with that person bc they dont agree with what theyre doing.. thats it..

Edited by trockafella

Were all free to do what we want, but I dont think its a very ethical to take advantage of a group thats likes to help each other out and use it for profit.. I just posted this as a warning.. And I have recieved a lot of pms from people who want to know so they dont deal with that person bc they dont agree with what theyre doing.. thats it..

+1

I think it just reflects poorly on the club. Making a profit on something because you got a good deal, used it for a while, and don't need it anymore is fine. Deliberately trying to get something free or for less than was originally asked and reselling it just to pad your pockets is unnecessary and a poor reflection of character.

I find that a lot of people sell things here to help out other local hobbyists and would sell things on the "open" market for much more - look at prices for things on reef2reef or reefcentral vs what you find here. Many people sell things more cheaply because 1-it's easier, 2-this is a community of people that many consider friends.

Personally, I would decline to sell to anyone I found out was essentially deriving arbitrage profit from my generosity.

I think calling someone out for something like this is very distasteful and unecessary. Why not give the person a chance to read what everyone thinks first? Sometimes people aren't aware that they're doing something that most people do not like.

Care to call out the guy/gal? :)

Care to call out the guy/gal? :)

Clearly he doesn't :lol2: and it would be in bad taste to do it in a public forum.

DDiver recently sold that porites that sells for $200+ for $60 to a local member. He's done similar things on high-end chalices. Leishman also sells things to wamas people much cheaper than he offers them on the public boards for - esp when he was breaking down his large tank. There are many others with premium corals that do the same thing. It makes me mad to see people taking advantage of people that are clearly helping out fellow club members.

I'm thinking I may have rules that come with any corals I sell though ...

1- must keep the piece for 6 mos prior to selling frags or the price will be different (set to fair market. this is kind of like the different licenses you get when you purchase a purebred dog)

2- if you sell the piece in less than 6 mos, you cannot charge more than the original price

Granted, I'm not in a position to be selling frags yet, but I'd hate to have to start writing contracts just because people feel it's necessary to take advantage.

Name dropping is definitely no good on a public forum.. I have answered a lot of pms as to who it is, and I dont mind, but im not posting it.. I just want people to be alert and there seems to be a lot of support.. Brian you are absolutely right.... Thanks everyone for caring for the well being of our club..!!

just my 2 cents, but kudos for that guys to make money, however i stinks to be a person that really wants to buy that coral but the business guys snatches up before someone who would really wants to take care of it for pleasure.

I disagree, exploiting a club for your own profit in my opinion is not kudos.. Everyone is a slave to money and drops there morals just to make a few bucks.. Very sad society weve become..

I disagree, exploiting a club for your own profit in my opinion is not kudos.. Everyone is a slave to money and drops there morals just to make a few bucks.. Very sad society weve become..

Not quite everyone, I agree times are hard, and I am one of those that has really felt the crunch. But everyone in this club has been supportive and helped with advice, etc when my system crashed back in August and prior to that. The concept of taking something someone has either given me or sold to me inexpensively to try and help me out and reselling it for a profit is appalling. Maybe I'm just a little too old fashioned, I don't know, but what's given to me stays with me at least until it has grown out to a point that I have to frag it to make room. Even then if it was something that was given to me, I'm passing it along the same way. Yeah it is idealistic and there are those that disagree with me, but I'd rather propagate stuff and share it and maybe see one less wild caught coral get purchased.

If an item is received for no cost from another member, then it should probably be viewed the same as the SWAP items.

It would also be a shame to take advantage of someones kindness, with giving a fellow member a big discount, just to make a buck.

Being a new member, I am quite appreciative of members that are willing to help out by providing low cost frags. Bob(lanman) just loaded me up with a bunch of corals for way less than if I had purchased from a vendor. I even kinda felt a little guilty at how big one of the frags was in comparrison to what he was asking for it :blink: .

Edited by Noobalicious

There are always going to be people that take advantage of the generosity of membership for their own personal gain. Personally, I don't like it and I admire the people out there who are ultra generous with what they have. That said, however, I feel like the club should reap the benefits of this type of generosity by being able to keep things within the club. I don't like it when someone buys here low and then sells elsewhere high, but I can't say that it's wrong, necessarily. If you have purchased something and then take the time and effort to grow it out, there's nothing wrong with that, but if you simply buy it and then resell it, then that's where the difference is between a member and a vendor. Not all vendors fit this category, but some of the resellers would qualify as a vendor under our definition and this could give people the ability to see that someone is in this as a business rather than as purely a hobbyist.

Kevin I completely agree... The club has been the same way for me... And noob your a great example of how the club benefits us and how great it is.. By the way, you feel guilty leaving bobs house for one reason or another, he is a great member and has helped out a lof of us.. There is a bad apple in every bunch..