Steve's 60g AIO part II

Ok, so my rockwall just wouldn't cure.........so my skimmer wasn't skimming and putting bubbles in my tank........and it was really annoying me so;

OUT WITH THE ROCK WALL!!!

I took the rock wall out, painted the back of the tank black, got a glassholes.com overflow box, had a skinny sump made, built a new stand, and now I'm mixing the water. Hopefully I'll have corals in the tank in a couple of weeks. Here are a couple of pics in the meantime:

Still need to put the upper and lower trim on the tank and build the door:

60gAIOCube005-1.jpg

I got the nano overflow so I didn't take up much room:

60gAIOCube004-1.jpg

Sump is the same idea I used on the old 90g (why did I get rid of that tank???)

60gAIOCube003-2.jpg

More to come soon.

Steve,

looking good. can you explain the sump in the rear of the tank. do you have any pics of it before you mounted it to the rear of the tank? also why the rear of the tank and not underneath the stand?

Steve,

looking good. can you explain the sump in the rear of the tank. do you have any pics of it before you mounted it to the rear of the tank? also why the rear of the tank and not underneath the stand?

I didn't take any pics of it before I mounted it but I'll get a top down pic of it and post it. I'm doing the sump in the rear so there is no chance of a siphon spillage in case of a power outage. This way, even if my RODI gets stuck on, it all goes into the sump. I don't want to get another call while i'm on travel saying "there's water all over the floor and I don't know what to do".

Stinks that the rock wall wouldn't cure. That really looked impressive. You'll be happy with having the 2' of depth again though.

Tagging along.......

James - I'm actually getting about 8" of depth back. The rockwall was attached to the front part of my internal sump which was 6" wide. It's going to be interesting when I go to put the rocks back in.......I may have to get a few new ones.

I hope you kept the wall and put in in water to continue curing. I'm sure it will eventually get there, just may take some time being so big.

I did keep the wall, but it hasn't been sitting in any water. Anybody who wants a 2'x2' rockwall is welcome to come and get it.

looking great so far. :)

Thanks.

that looks nice Steve, the stand looks sweet too, did you build that?

Yep. I built the structure on Saturday, stained it on Sunday, 1st coat of poly on Monday, 2nd coat on Tuesday, Tank positioned on Wednesday. I got my idea for the stand from this thread on RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567110

All the materials together cost me about $120. I still have to put the stand door together and stain the finishing trim to go around the base of the stand and the top of the stand (base of the tank). I'm also waiting for Lowes to re-stock on a couple of pieces of wood that I need to finish the side panel. Hoping to have it all done by Sunday.

too bad the anemone didn't attach in the front of the tank. that would be awesome...

I have another powerhead that I haven't turned on yet. Maybe that will blast him to the front!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time for some updates. I have about 6 more colonies/frags to put in but here it is so far:

The outer orbit is hung:

60gAIO001-6.jpg

Front shot:

60gAIO002-6.jpg

Lobo........scoly........who knows.......but I like it:

60gAIO003-5.jpg

Birds of Paradise:

60gAIO004-3.jpg

Green slimer:

60gAIO005.jpg

Cap and Birdsnest:

60gAIO006.jpg

My tiny little RBTA:

60gAIO007.jpg

I'll have more by the end of this weekend.

• 1 month later...

SUCCESS! I had to take every @#$%ing rock out of the tank, but I got that pain in the a$$ yellow goby out. $10 for a fish and $300 in SPS down the crapper. List of casualties:

Garf purple bonsai

Gadgets acro

Pink Lemonade

California Tort

Purple Monster

Reef safe my a$$!

As soon as the water clears I'll post some pics.

SUCCESS! I had to take every @#$%ing rock out of the tank, but I got that pain in the a$$ yellow goby out. $10 for a fish and $300 in SPS down the crapper. List of casualties:

Garf purple bonsai

Gadgets acro

Pink Lemonade

California Tort

Purple Monster

Reef safe my a$$!

As soon as the water clears I'll post some pics.

forgot about the green efflo colony.

i wish you were kidding about all that it destroyed, cant believe a fish did all that. they really need to make a mini spear gun or net gun for something like that.

sorry for all the loses. cant wait for the updates

Ok, the water has settled and here's what I have. There are a lot of corals that I need to replace thanks to the little coral terrorist, but I managed to save some:

Front:

60gCube002.jpg

Right side:

60gCube001.jpg

Left side:

60gCube003.jpg

I'll post more when I get some more corals.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't freakin win with this thing. I had someone from CMAS build my sump because of the cheap price. Well, I guess I'll never learn that you get what you pay for. It leaked when I first got it, but I took it off and used some weldon #4 to soak all the seams and thought I had fixed it.......WRONG!! That lasted for a couple of months and it started leaking again. Should have had NAGA build it in the first place. Between that and the fish that killed all my corals I've thrown $500 down the crapper! :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the new NAGA sump is on and most of the dead corals replaced. I wish I knew how to use this camera better, because these pics don't show the true colors in that tank.......but here are some updated pics anyway:

60gAIOCube006-1.jpg

60gAIOCube001-3.jpg

60gAIOCube011.jpg

60gAIOCube002-3.jpg

60gAIOCube003-3.jpg

60gAIOCube004-2.jpg

60gAIOCube005-2.jpg

60gAIOCube007.jpg

60gAIOCube008.jpg

60gAIOCube009.jpg

60gAIOCube010.jpg

60gAIOCube012.jpg