New tank design - need help/suggestions

Sikryd

I am trying to design our new tank and was wondering if anyone that uses google sketch already has a model made up so I can just edit it.

Here is what I have so far on my own.

I'm really just trying to see what different dimensions "look" like.

I'm still trying to decide on the height of the tank - I'm thinking 30" is about right.

I like the look of a 3'x3'x30", but want something bigger.

Any ideas? I'd like to stick in the 220g range.

tank.jpg

If you're going to do an external overflow, why not run it the length of the tank? Probably better surface skimming that way.

I'll have to check into that.

These are just real quick models that I am making right now while I am learning to use Sketch.

I must have been asleep at the wheel.

I was wondering why it looked "off"

There are the dimensions I am thinking about - it keeps it in the 180g range too.

tank-2.jpg

If you're going to do an external overflow, why not run it the length of the tank? Probably better surface skimming that way.

I wish mine was smaller: I can't get my Vortechs as high as I would like due to the overflow.

Chad, My old tank was 65x36x25 (if you can remember that far back)

Edited by Leishman

There really isn't any benefit to running the overflow the entire length of the tank. It adds to the cost and surface skimming isn't that much of an issue to warrant adding $$$ to the tank. I ran a 750g reef tank with 70 fish choc filled with corals and only a 800 gallonan hour rollover. Having 40 sq. ft. to surface skim was not an issue when I had a 2" elbow for my overflow. I ran that setup for 5yrs. w/o any buildup of surface scum/layers. Your other issue aside from the uneccessary $$$ is that it takes up space sticking out from the tank. Youw'd be better off just making the tank larger..........more for your money. JMO

I wish mine was smaller: I can't get my Vortechs as high as I would like due to the overflow.

Chad, My old tank was 65x36x25 (if you can remember that far back)

That is why I am thinking about a 60" x 30" - I didn't like the depth in your old one - too far back to reach, let alone view - UNLESS - I did a penisula tank - then I could see doing a 36" x 72" (LengthxWidth)

Here is a quick rendition of the area of the basement I have been looking at putting it in. The room behind the fish tank will be a bathroom with shower.

I'm still designing the basement so I'm trying to figure out the best layout as far as space, and a good viewable area for the tank. AND if and when we sell this place, I want to make sure that we aren't losing any square footage of "usuable" space due to the layout.

basementtank-1.jpg

Here is some modeling I did tonight. Its all pretty much to scale. I have a lot more stuff to add like the fireplace, t.v., some couches, ect.

I kind of like modeling this so I can see if I REALLY like the layout and design before I go start building it!!!

thewholebasementjpeg.jpg

Any suggestions on designing the basement are more than welcome.

This is what I came up with so far though.

thewholebasement2.jpg

The glare from the tank will mess with your tv placement.

Someone else mentioned that on CMAS too.

My tank is 5ft away from my Plasma upstairs and we don't have a problem. The basement is also 25ft x 45ft - so I think the layout may be a little decieving.

If it is an issue I can always put up one of those Japanese screen things inbetween the couches.

Thanks for looking out though. We're trying to think and hear all kinds of ideas so we can be sure we love it before I start building it. Framing should start next week.

Ideas are welcome......