Anyone regret their large tank??

Sharkey18

I went large with a 325g and a 112g sump. I went with the best....Sean at F&F ordered me an A.G.E. tank. I have a build thread on here, but it is way out dated. I planned for the humidity and so far no problems. I built my fish room and that's darn near water proof. I also have an 6" exhaust fan on a dehumidistat to take care of the humidity. It is more money to setup and run, but I'm happy. I have a 96"L x 30"W x 26"T with Eurobracing. I can get to the sand bed if needed. There are some things I go back and forth on with the setup, but I'm happy with my purchase. I live in VA and made my tank energy efficient....so I haven't seen an electrical bill that I can't deal with.

Also remember that the humidity issue is a summer problem and a winter blessing for most of us, or at-least me. I only have a 96 with a 100 sump/frag. The house heater burns-off alot of moisture in my house. Back when I only had little aquariums we'd play "you're zapped" with the static electricity in the old dry air.

Love my large tank, but I do have three issues.

1) Just can't reach all of the locations of the tank easily. I have bubble algae growing on two intakes to my closed loop, but I can't reach the intake. My access is blocked by the large glass brace.

2) Likewise, getting light to the bottom is more of a challenge on a deep tank. I really wanted a tank that was 2'6" deep, but that size isn't what came available at the right time. My 3' depth is more than I want.

3) In some ways I would have more flexibility with 2 smaller tanks than 1 large tank. I would love to do seahorses, but I'm not setting up yet another tank and they wouldn't do well in my reef.

I did.. Couldn't find folks to help me lift up the sucker onto the stand, so I sold it. Now I'm with a 120, wishing I had a 500, but like that I have a 120. :)

Everyone has said that a large tank cost more and if you have the money get one. But no one has specifically mentioned the time involved. I do not for an instant buy the argument that a smaller tank takes just as much time as a large one. If you get a 300G, expect much of your life to be decated to that tank.

I regret not setting up my large reef tank in the two years I've been in Maryland.

Thanks everyone.... I already spend all my spare time wit my dog's or my fish.... more time won't matter!!

I'm going to follow Sikryd's build and just do what he does :lol2: except I am going to need help since I want to put in in the wall...

Good stuff to think about.

Thanks everyone.... I already spend all my spare time wit my dog's or my fish.... more time won't matter!!

I'm going to follow Sikryd's build and just do what he does :lol2: except I am going to need help since I want to put in in the wall...

Good stuff to think about.

LOL - Use google sketch up to help see how it will look. I taught myself how to use it yesterday. It is really easy to use and REALLY helps with layout decisions.

I'm getting ready to order the rock, sand, and tank this coming week I think.

I have a 300 and am trying to convince my wife that I need a 500 (FOWLR) for coral eating fish. two years ago she was completely against it now she is only mostly against it. I would go as big as possible. I had a 125 for 10 years and the 300 for about 2.5. The bigger the better.