LED lighting

ryanls5

Hey guys, I'd like to get your feedback on LED fixtures vs mixed lighting either DIY or 24 hr fixtures like the Belize Sun or Geisemann fixture. I did a search on LED's on the search function and nothing came up, I am not trying to spark a debate just looking for some insight! MH is tried and true but for me having only used T5's and LED's for moonlight, it's a bit overwhelming all the different kelvin ratings, chillers...seems more complicated than slapping an AquaIllumination fixture up and having the best of both worlds. Meaning no chiller, no fear of burning down the house on a retro fixture I would make(trust me we might all be safer if I don't build something like that lol) low lighting costs ignoring the initial of course, plus the shimmer and night lights! What do you think?

No takers? Any thoughts on SPS sustainability if I were to pull the trigger on one of these "newfangled contraptions"?

LEDS-- over priced and not perfected.. There is a reason very few people in this club use them.. Not to say theyre not good, but not the choice of most.. In fact I have been to see a loot of tanks in this (wamas) community and never seen one on any of the tanks... I know marine scene tried them and switched back, and H-E-double hockey sticks theyre trying to sell them... I would spend the money elsewhere.. For the cost of an LED system you could buy a MH/T5 set up and a chiller...

In my opinion, it depends on the size of your tank. If you are keeping a relatively small tank, it might be profitable to run LEDs. If your tank is large, MHs are the way to go. Just my .02

LED's are expensive, If you can DIY you can do it cheaper. LED's with optics will compare to MH or T5HO. They are new to the reef game. Everyone said T5's wouldn't compare to MH and they are wrong.

There is a big thread on nano-reef about LED's. If you have questions, PM evilc66 on nano-reef, He's the LED guru.

I have the mogul base ones running on my tank right now; I've been less than pleased with them. I have them now just to give me the sparkle effect of MH; I am relying on T5s for most of my lighting needs. LEDs are not there yet for our needs maybe in a few years. Check out my build thread if you want to see more.

what are the specs of your mogul LEDs? What is the wattage of your unit?

I see there are 28 LEDs in each unit. You say the par readings were disappointing. Did they not live up to the claim of being comparable to 175w halides?

Edited by chucelli

I've been running custom LEDs for several months now - 72 white, 36 blue 1-watt Luxeons, buckpuck drivers, giant rectified transformer feeding those. Full post on the build: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...&hl=paenian

There is no supplemental lighting.

My tank has changed since then, and I lost most everything in the move. Back up and running for several months. In terms of hard corals (softies are doing great), sunset montipora, a pseudo-chalice (ask the wife) and a blue-tipped staghorn frag are all doing well, and a hammer coral. Also have a lot of coraline algae growth. Colors are not what I'd like; the blue LEDs are either not powerful enough or don't have a broad enough spectrum.

I plan to rebuild using T5 actinics & brighter white LEDs, but life keeps getting in the way. If you are interested in DIY, though, let me know - group buy on LEDs might lower the cost significantly.

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys! The spectrum answer really kind of my made up my mind, I will probably go with 400 watt MH with Lumenbrites and T5 supps with LED moonlights, seems the best way for now! Paul I will get in touch with you about that DIY! Thanks again!

what are the specs of your mogul LEDs? What is the wattage of your unit?

I see there are 28 LEDs in each unit. You say the par readings were disappointing. Did they not live up to the claim of being comparable to 175w halides?

Chucelli not even close to the par value of 175 mh @ 5" under water about 80 par. They are 1 watt LED x28, they are VERY yellow 67k, so they really need atinics.