Ron's 120

onux20

6 hours is all I have ever done it for. Let me know how a 12 hour treatment goes.

+1 for 6 hours. It's really all you need.

But, i've done a 24 hr dose sucessfully in the past followed by multiple H2O changes and 24/7 Carbon.

Keep us posted.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total soak time ended up being around 13 hours. I changed about 30g of water last night and filled carbon Rx. Gonna do another change this weekend.

The cleaner shrimp I thought was dead was still alive, but my handling it killed it. I picked out some dead emerald and hermit crabs this AM. Also found one emerald foraging for food.

I really do think PE was a bit better last night. I have a crayola plana that has never extended polyps during the day, last night they were out. :biggrin:

So far things are looking good. I'll see if the emerald recovers and PE improves.

A ouple of hermits and emaralds made it thru the interceptor. All look like they are back behaving as normal. I think overall it was a success. Gonna need some seed pods tho...

Ron

A ouple of hermits and emaralds made it thru the interceptor. All look like they are back behaving as normal. I think overall it was a success. Gonna need some seed pods tho...

Ron

Sounds good. You'll probably have to hold off a bit (couple of weeks or so) on trying to repopulate the pods. Possibly still some trace interceptor left in the tank (rocks, sand, etc) that may kill off the pods you add.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron

Ron, how is it going now that some time has past with the interceptor treatment? What exactly died due to treatment (crabs? shrimp? snails? pods? worms?)?

Next time (probably couple of weeks) I harvest my cheato you are welcome to have some, there are usually large amphipods, bristleworms, and copepods and dusters in it.

Ron, how is it going now that some time has past with the interceptor treatment? What exactly died due to treatment (crabs? shrimp? snails? pods? worms?)?

Next time (probably couple of weeks) I harvest my cheato you are welcome to have some, there are usually large amphipods, bristleworms, and copepods and dusters in it.

All the shrimp died (4). I still have two emerald crabs and maybe three hermits that made it through. Surprisingly, I did see a few pods the other day. worms, spaghetti and bristle all made it through along with the snails.

did you ever intercept your tank?

Thanks for asking.

All the shrimp died (4). I still have two emerald crabs and maybe three hermits that made it through. Surprisingly, I did see a few pods the other day. worms, spaghetti and bristle all made it through along with the snails.

did you ever intercept your tank?

Thanks for asking.

I have been out of town for a while so I haven't had a chance to intercept my tank yet. Glad to hear that you had survivors. I have a nice peppermint shrimp that I would like to save along with hermits and lots of snails. I also have an arrow crab that, I am indifferent towards since it attacked one of my clown fish :blink:

I have tons of tiny shrimp (mysid?), very large amphipods behind my rock wall and in my sump so, it sounds like I would loose most of them.

cool deal, were those the avast look down boxes that attach to the camera lens?

Yup. Pretty cool. So far I like it.

• 7 months later...

What did you do with the fish?! :ohmy:

Thanks Rob.

You had fish? JK.

The 2 firefish are still there and the 2 big damsels are there too- I guess. They always hide when I'm working on the tank. I had the lights off for about 30 mins before I took that picture, so maybe they are sleeping.

• 2 months later...

Today was the day. I took apart the tank to catch the damsels. They are big, probably 3 in each. Seems I had a few losses while I was gone. The yellow eye Kole one fire fish, not sure of the coral count yet. I am taking this oportunity to get some new fish now that the two biggest bullies are out and a new landscape.

Dont like the new aquascape but I guess it will do for now. Will post pics soon.

Ahhh its good to be back.

I have been away from my tank for the last 8 months. As usual, a mix bag of success and failure. Some great growth on some coral, none on others. Lots of lossess of fish and coral.

Most of the rock was covered by a strange mat of something. I peeled a lot off. Unfortunately the bubble algae is alive and well underneath the mat.

I sent in a water sample. Most levels were good. Biggest concern...Ca...250 :ohmy:

I have been trying to get things going again. First step was to get Ca back up to an acceptable range. Next comes the water chage in the next few days.

Here are some pics from today.

Frag garden as a result of removing all of the rock to catch two damsels.

gallery_656_365_794981.jpg

This coral is looking good. Picked it up from Lanman as a yellow tabling acro. Color is yellow with purple tips.

gallery_656_365_536091.jpg

This thing is a monster. There are two more mini colonies in the sump. It is BY FAR the best grower. Now if I can get the green tips again it will look awesomer!

gallery_656_365_542785.jpg

Decent growth while I was gone. Browned out a little, I moved in lower in the tank. Hopefully it will come around.

gallery_656_365_153021.jpg

gallery_656_365_34957.jpg

The Caps in the middle look like they may still be alive. I am giving them some time to recover before I throw in the towel.

gallery_656_365_341461.jpg

gallery_656_365_61125.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents:

Best way to rejuvenate the caps is to break the dead tissue off. That's what I did to my bleached monti and now even from the littlest dot that was left on the rock 5 polyps emerged. The dead tissue will never heal and unwanted algae will grow on it. It will be long till the caps recover but they will recover stronger.

My two cents:

Best way to rejuvenate the caps is to break the dead tissue off. That's what I did to my bleached monti and now even from the littlest dot that was left on the rock 5 polyps emerged. The dead tissue will never heal and unwanted algae will grow on it. It will be long till the caps recover but they will recover stronger.

Thanks for the advice. I will do that and see what happens.

Ron

• 1 month later...

Mixed bag as usual.

I went on vacation for 3 weeks. A combination of a friend overfeeding and the timer on the Kalk stirrer resetting itself, I had some things to fix when I got home

Can I make a suggestion? You should just let all the top off water run through the kalk stirrer on an as needed basis. If you're concerned about spiking the alk/ca, then only put a small amount of kalk in the stirrer and go from there. Start dosing 2 part again. The Nautilus doser that you sold me was the best thing for delivery of 2 part. I'd recommend that you get one again.

I'm not going to smirk at you about the Rabbitfish. I'd just suggest that you start with a decent sized Two Barred Rabbit and a scrub brush. You don't have to take the rocks out, but you will have to scrub them if you want to make progress against them. You have the largest amount of Valonia that I have ever seen in a tank and manual removal is almost gonna be necessary to make a dent.

get all the rest of the issues with your tank in order before switching to 20k's. The lights that you have now do best for showing the true colors of your corals and fish and allow for good growth. When you have all the water chem ironed out, you'll be amazed at how fast things grow and how pretty they will look. you might find that there will be no need for the magic blue light.

Rob

I still don't like the idea of running kalk as make up. Too much dosed at one time. Currrent plan is working for me aside from mechnical failures. I don't believe the 20k bulb is magic, just different from what I have now. Looking for more blue that's all. Thnaks for the input.

ron

I run my ato through my reactor and have not had a problem for over 3 years.

I have a tunze ato so it does not put in a ton of water at a time, but even with ones like the JBJ etc as long as the reactor isnt full of Kalk you end up pushing the top water which is just in solution and not a ton of kalk.

I but it like 4-5 teaspoons a week, just in case there is a malfunchtion somewhere its not dumping in a ton of kalk like rob said.

20k bulbs (i use radiums) really do work for blue's.....potassium also does if yuo ask me. But it takes a little while for things to adjust

im running 20k radiums and ATI blue plus for actinic and i really like the color, and the colors im getting.

just give it some time.