cyano

BliffBlam

Since cyano is considered more of a bacteria, would a uv sterilizer help with its removal?

Apparently most of us just don't know :)

bob

Having struggled with cyano myself for the last 6 months or so (running an oversized UV on my 65) I can say no to that effect. But it is true.......Water change Water change Water change! Not untill I got under a STRICT routine of changing a little over 30% a month that I saw a reduction in the rate of grow back. Still not completely gone but now I can go a week without it covering the sand! Really I get tiere of reading it and im sure it gets exhausting saying it but being diligent in maintaining chemistry and lighting is a key to keeping out the pests. Hope this helps, I think I answered the question.

Cyano is an opportunistic bacterium. It will take advantage of the excess nutrients in the tank. If you introduce other bacteria in the tank it will out complete the cyano. A good bacteria would be like micro bacter 7 from Brightwell. Along with proper water flow and lights. There have been times were I go months with no water changes. The name of the game with cyano is reducing the excess nutrients.

Removal of excess nutrients was the cure for me. Someone on WAMAS suggested rinsing PE Mysis with fresh water (I used RO/DI) prior to feeding to the tank. Cyano was gone shortly after adopting that technique. Along with keeping up in my water changes.

Ron