Converting 10G to Sump with HOB Fuge

dmatt56

Hello Everyone,

I would like to upgrade the filtration on my 54Gal soft coral reef tank.

I would like to convert a 10G aquarium to a sump with an attached HOB refugium. I already have both items, but they need to be cleaned. The tank originally had freshwater fish, and the HOB fuge has dried algae and needs a good cleaning. What's the best way to clean both items?

I also have a protein skimmer that I plan to place in the sump. Do I really need a protein skimmer with the fuge?

Does anyone have any plans for accomplishing my goal? Can I literally just have a the drain run into the sump that contains the HOB fuge, protein skimmer, and return pump?

What's the best way to secure the drain to the aquarium so that it can't come out and make a giant mess?

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by dmatt56

Your refugium isn't going to be large enough to hold enough macros to really do without a skimmer.

Use baffles or something for a bubble trap otherwise the return pump will put microbubbles from the skimmer into your tank (they don't hurt anything, but tank looks better without them).

They have filter socks with a mounting bracket, you can attach it to the end of the tank so it doesnt come loose. You should post your location as well under your name etc, some of us may be close and could lend a helping hand..

You should be able to clean both tanks with water and a little distilled vinegar mixture.I would say 2 teaspoon of vinegar per cup of water.Thats what I usually do and haven't had any problems.(Although you maybe able to use more vinegar maybe someone else can chime in.)

Your refugium isn't going to be large enough to hold enough macros to really do without a skimmer.

Use baffles or something for a bubble trap otherwise the return pump will put microbubbles from the skimmer into your tank (they don't hurt anything, but tank looks better without them).

A 10 gal. tank will be sufficient to use as a HOB fuge for a 54gal. tank. I doubt you'll be able to stuff a skimmer in there as well. If you'd like to see how a 'fuge based system works, come over and take a look.

As long as you have enough macro, you'll be able to grow any kind of coral, and have excellent water chemistry as long as you do weekly water changes and maintenance.

Don't let the naysayers say that you can't do it. More than likely, they only gave it a half-assed try and failed. (not pointing any fingers at anyone specific)

Edited by zygote2k

They have filter socks with a mounting bracket, you can attach it to the end of the tank so it doesnt come loose. You should post your location as well under your name etc, some of us may be close and could lend a helping hand..

I'm in Odenton, MD - outside of Annapolis/Laurel/Columbia. I won't be ready to do anything for at least 2 weekends from Saturday in case anyone wants to help...

Thanks,

Matt

What is your current filtration system and why are you upgrading? Have any pics of your tank? A HOB fuge will actually be better on the tank so the critters (fish food) wont get chopped up by return pump. This will leave you a little more room under that 54 stand.

What is your current filtration system and why are you upgrading? Have any pics of your tank? A HOB fuge will actually be better on the tank so the critters (fish food) wont get chopped up by return pump. This will leave you a little more room under that 54 stand.

I currently have a 54GAL reef tank with soft corals, 9 fish, and inverts. The sump I have is an old Amiracle wet/dry. The bioballs are not there, so the water goes through a blue/white filter past the Chemi-Pure, and back to the tank. I also have some live rock in the sump.

My nitrates and phosphates are both high. I think macro would help solve the problem. Likewise, my fish are all relatively small right now. As they grow, they will produce more waste, requiring me to add a skimmer.

Here are some pictures:

gallery_2632035_679_427995.jpg

gallery_2632035_679_5591.jpg

gallery_2632035_679_1649498.jpg

gallery_2632035_679_1268876.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

A 10 gal. tank will be sufficient to use as a HOB fuge for a 54gal. tank. I doubt you'll be able to stuff a skimmer in there as well. If you'd like to see how a 'fuge based system works, come over and take a look.

As long as you have enough macro, you'll be able to grow any kind of coral, and have excellent water chemistry as long as you do weekly water changes and maintenance.

Don't let the naysayers say that you can't do it. More than likely, they only gave it a half-assed try and failed. (not pointing any fingers at anyone specific)

I have a 5 gal CPR HOB refugium that I plan to attach to the 10 GAL sump.

Honestly, everything is doing well now. The fish are healthy and the corals are spreading like crazy. I just want to prevent a crash before the fish get too large and produce more waste.

Matt