Clowns Attack Mandarin?

VA_Reefer

I purchased a Mandarin on Friday. This morning I noticed his fins were ragged and his breathing was labored. After a couple of minutes he swam out into the open and my pair of black Oscilleris clowns attacked him viciously. Given the look of his fins, I assume they must have been battering him on and off for the past 24 hours or so. He looked fine yesterday morning.

We have a few other fish and I've never seen the clowns act that way towards anything we've ever introduced to the tank. I moved the Mandarin temporarily to a small Biocube until I can figure out what to do.

I thought clowns and Mandarins were pretty easily compatible.

Any ideas?

greg

Edited by VA_Reefer

I have a Maroon clown and Mandarin co exist but it is a 156G. The Maroon does not mind the Mandarin when it swims to "his area".

I think clownfish are somewhat unpredictable, especially when in pairs. I personally would not put the mandarin back in there.

Mandarin didn't make it. Bummer.

I knew there were some challenges keeping this fish but I sure didn't think it would be the other fish in the tank.

Other fish, including a mystery wrasse and skunk cleaner spend a lot of time in the clowns "area" and they don't attack them at all.

Weird.

greg

Edited by VA_Reefer

That is odd, sorry for your loss. They are such pretty fish. i have had mine for about 5 mos I dont have a fuge so no pods. I was feeding arcti pods as I was told thats all they eat is pods. However i noticed him eating forzen mysis that I feed to my horses so I stopped with the pods and he is doing great even getting bigger. just shows that you never know in this hobby. It keeps you on your toes.