Mountaineer's 265 gallon

Mountaineer

I just moved my 265 gallon display to our new home back in July.

All of the live stock is in the old 90 gallon and a 29 gallon. Some of the live rock has been allowed to go dry.

The last set up before the move had a sump in the stand, but I hope to put this one in the basement with the display one floor above. The tank currently sits dry on the floor in front of the stand. I need to get some electrical outlets moved closer to where the sump is planned and learn how best to plumb between floors as well as decide on the return pump. Thinking about a Reeflo MantaRay but it needs 220V power and I have no idea how to do that safely. I live in Olney if anyone wants to help me out.

Here is a picture of it some time before the move in our old house.

IMG_7299.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_5526.jpg

Edited by Mountaineer

That's a gorgeous tank you have. I love the wood on the stand and canopy. What are the dimensions of the 265g? I think that's the size I want to upgrade too from my 135g tank (Read: let me know if you ever want to sell to downgrade/upgrade! :) .) (I am not sure I could fit anything larger than 265g through my condo front door to be honest). It's glass right? So it must be MEGA heavy?

I just moved my 265 gallon display to our new home back in July.

All of the live stock is in the old 90 gallon and a 29 gallon. Some of the live rock has been allowed to go dry.

The last set up before the move had a sump in the stand, but I hope to put this one in the basement with the display one floor above. The tank currently sits dry on the floor in front of the stand. I need to get some electrical outlets moved closer to where the sump is planned and learn how best to plumb between floors as well as decide on the return pump. Thinking about a Reeflo MantaRay but it needs 220V power and I have no idea how to do that safely. I live in Olney if anyone wants to help me out.

I think a manta ray would be overkill. A hammerhead will give you about 4000gph turnover at 10' head, assuming you use 2" return plumbing. I'd be glad to stop by and help you plan it out. PM me contact info and we can work out a time.

Justin

So you have 3 lumenarc mini stealths? What kinda of bulbs are you using?

Actually I have 2 of those and 1 Lumenmax elite in the center. I got the lumenarc minis used and could only get 2 and at the time I was told they were not making anymore lumenarc minis and after months of back order I bought the lumenmax elite.

All 3 bulbs are 250W 10K with Icecap electronic ballasts.

That's a gorgeous tank you have. I love the wood on the stand and canopy. What are the dimensions of the 265g? I think that's the size I want to upgrade too from my 135g tank (Read: let me know if you ever want to sell to downgrade/upgrade! :) .) (I am not sure I could fit anything larger than 265g through my condo front door to be honest). It's glass right? So it must be MEGA heavy?

Thanks for the comments. The tank is 8 feet by 2 feet and about 30 inches tall. No plans to upgrade anytime soon. It is glass and it weights about 400lbs empty.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Ctenophore stopped by Thursday to help get ready for the plumbing. The access through the wall and down to the basement has been made. I ordered flexible PVC tubing and I found black tubing at www.flexpvc.com I know it really doesn't matter, but I like the look of the black compared to the white or clear. Yes I know most of it will be in the wall, but I will always know it is there and yes I'm like that.

I will need some help lifting that beast up onto the stand if anyone can help out. It takes 4 people total and we don't have to move it through the house. It is sitting right in front of the stand. Just needs a lift and set down on the stand.

I'll try and get some photos up soon.

Oh I forgot to add that I ended up getting the Reeflo Hammerhead for the return.

Edited by Mountaineer

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Tank sitting on the floor. The canopy is resting on the stand. The stand is two pieces pushed together as one.

IMG_8708.jpg

Ctenophore came over and we made a hole through the wall and down to the basement below. The sump will be in the basement below the tank.

IMG_8898.jpg

Me making the hole bigger with the reciprocating saw. Its pictures like these that remind me I'm losing my hair.....and pictures of the tank that remind me I've already lost my mind and money.

IMG_8899.jpg

IMG_8902.jpg

Tank on the stand with the canopy doors removed for cleaning.

IMG_8914.jpg

Left side of tank is in contact with stand.

IMG_8915.jpg

Right side of tank is in contact with stand.

IMG_8916.jpg

But, the center is not making contact with the stand.

IMG_8918.jpg

IMG_8921.jpg

Edited by Mountaineer

That really blows. Whats your plan?

(edited)

The stand is in two sections and can be shimmed up to meet the tank. I'm not sure its necessary though. I've seen plenty of tanks supported only by the 4 corners on blocks. This makes me uneasy even having seen people do this. I can either shim from the bottom of the stand until even contact occurs, or directly at the tank and hide the shims with the trim to go on after I'm sure its level. This was not a problem before because It was on carpet and it must have settled to place.

Right now I don't have a plan, just considering my options.

Edited by Mountaineer

I just shimmed it from under the stand and it did not take much at all. I will double check the level now and as it fills with water and adjust as needed. Just need to do some cleaning and get ready for the plumbing. Won't be long now!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE******

I finished the plumbing with some help from Ctenophore and thought I would share a few pics. More to come, but here are a few to keep everyone updated.

I used 2" black spaflex tubing for the return coming off of a Reeflo Hammerhead pump from the basement up to my manifold spray bar. The returns are 1" black spaflex tubing for a total of 4 individual returns that do not meet and run direct to the sump in the basement.

Here is a pic of the 1" and 2" spaflex

IMG_9187.jpg

Going into the wall...

IMG_9197.jpg

Other side of the wall in the garage....

IMG_9194.jpg

View from the basement looking up...

IMG_9201.jpg

And the sump not yet finished in this photo but it is running now ......

IMG_9200.jpg

I have this finished with water and my live rock (now dead rock) arch back in place and starting the nitrogen cycle. I'll post some more pics when I get some more time maybe tomorrow.

Looks good. How is the single siphon drain + 3 silent drains handling the flow from the hammerhead?

I had to convert to 2 siphon drains and I've valved the Hammerhead back about 1/2 way right now. Maybe too much pump, but maybe I can use it for some other applications in the future.

Here are a few pics I took tonight. Just getting started with the aquascape. I intend to get rid of the white 90 degree fitting in the tank and replace with black like the others.

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9222.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

Edited by Mountaineer

• 1 month later...

I am not excited about the quality of these pictures, but I will post a few up of my current status. I have a microbubble problem that needs worked out and that is why the water has that look to it. The white on the far side is a frag rack in a temporary location.

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9832.jpg

No rocks touching the back or side glass

IMG_9847.jpg

I still have some coral and on 6 line wrasse to move in to this tank from the holding tank in the basement. I'll get there eventually.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice pictures. So what is your current stock list of fish?

1 Large Hippo Tang

1 Yellow Tang

1 Sailfin Tang

Pair of pink skunk clownfish

1 sixline wrasse

1 male lyretail anthia

2 female lyretail anthias

The tank is looking awesome!

I would LOVE to have an 8ft tank. I love the longer run tanks so you can watch the fish really swim!

I know what you mean about the pics and realizing the hair is a little thinner than you "think" :) - I still think I'm 20!

I'll have to take a look at he site you listed for the black flex pvc. I'm the same way, if I know it is there and I'm not happy with it, I'll fix it. I like the look of a nice clean, finished looking setup. I painted my pvc with black krylon fusion just for that reason.

Awesome job!

Can you post some info on the "silent" drains your using.

nice arch- is it natural or did you make it?

It is natural rock attached to a PVC frame with pond foam, epoxy, crushed coral and sand in between to close up the gaps.

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg