bbs

BliffBlam

wish you would have pm'd me like i said. was so busy yesterday i didnt have time to check back here. a pm goes straight to my phone. I already hatched myself. Thanks anyway.

No prob. db I understand completely. I ended up buying 2 dt's copepod cultures and dumped in the tank it held them over until I could hatch.They seem to be doing well. This is my first time so we'll see what happens. Its funny cause i suspected the male was pregnant and was going to give birth at anytime so for about 3 days i was hatching brine. then i noticed he was still trying to mate every morning, which 99% of the time means no pregnancy. so I stopped hatching. 2 days later we had babies. go figure. I will keep you posted as I have taken this on full time. I am slowly converting my house into a breeding facility. The parents are captive bred and tank raised as well. In theory I would like to become the supplier to the lfs as well as anyone interested in keeping horses. Captive bred is better all around for everyone. Especially the seahorse population. I have only been in this hobby about a year, and i started with horses,(crazy right) but i put alot of time and research and money into it and so far have been sucessful. I've had several casualties of horses purchased from a shady lfs that I wont name. I bought 7 at one time to try and save them, they were in really bad shape. despite all the money time and effort I lossed all but one. They were a lost cause, parasites, worms, malnourished you name it they had it. poor guys. So take note if your intersted in horses be very wary of the source make sure the people you buy from actually care about them and are not just tring to make a dollar. The species I am currently working with is H. erectus (southern erectus) An excellent beginer horse, But make no mistake all species are difficult to keep. Fyi, for those interested they are usually not ready for sale until about 4 to 5 mos old, However if you have experience with them i would consider parting with them sooner. At this time i do not want to give up fry for experimenting in raising them. In the next few months when I start to have more broods I may reconsider. As I said i put alot of time and research before taking this on as should anyone thinking of keeping them. Sorry to go on here, just wanted to give a little backround. Thanks for reading.

P.S anyone iterested can p.m me or respond here. I,ll keep you posted.

Does anyone know if i can edit the title to include seahorses as i would like to continue on this thread for updates, and dont want people to miss out because of the title needin bbs.

just a few words from someone who did this for a while.

you will lose alot of the fry, don't worry it happens all the time. Out of the 100- 150 i had at one time only like 30 made it past 2 months. My suggestion would be to try and get them on frozen food asap. I started with cylopeeze, feed that for a month then got them on frozen mysis.

I hope you are not planning on make money off these. You will be surprised how little a lfs will pay for them, even at captive breed. I am not trying to rain on your parade but just don't want you to get your hopes up. I chalked it up as a learning experience and decided it was not worth my time. Horses really need to be feed many times a day. good luck, if you have questions i am happy to help.

I could change the title, but you may want to start a new thread under propagation and breeding.

trade you baby horses for baby clowns.

Doug,

Another option is change the title and delete any part of the thread that does not fall under propagation and breeding.

James

just a few words from someone who did this for a while.

you will lose alot of the fry, don't worry it happens all the time. Out of the 100- 150 i had at one time only like 30 made it past 2 months. My suggestion would be to try and get them on frozen food asap. I started with cylopeeze, feed that for a month then got them on frozen mysis.

I hope you are not planning on make money off these. You will be surprised how little a lfs will pay for them, even at captive breed. I am not trying to rain on your parade but just don't want you to get your hopes up. I chalked it up as a learning experience and decided it was not worth my time. Horses really need to be feed many times a day. good luck, if you have questions i am happy to help.

Thanks for the input, However Iexpect to be much more successfull than that. They should actually be converted to froz mysis by the third to fourth week. This is achieved by feeding a variety of foods at the same time from the start. newly hatched artemia, 48hr gutlaoaded artemia, cyclopeeze and chopped mysis slowly decreasing live foods. as well as different sizes as horses grow at different rates. With southern erectus 50% survival is considered good 80% excellent. Also specialized tanks are used. theres alot more invoved in raising horses than just throwing them in a tank feeding them and hoping for the best.

So far a week later they are already tripled in size eating well and doing well. I have lost a few mainly from neglect, my sponge fiter was a little to big at the base and they were getting trapped underneath. since changing that I have only lost 1. I am already designing a new type of tank for my next brood that should be here in about another week. I have been working closely with another breeder that has been doing this for 6 years very suceesfully 80 to 90% survival rate. And they make a fortune. I am already comming up with innovative ideas to make the process easier and more successful. I cant speak intelligently on your methods cause I have no idea what they were I can only say that you were doing something wrong or just gave up to soon. I expect to be in the 70% survival rate with my first brood, should be more than that if I would of had the correct size filter to begin with. Stupid mistake. However sorry to hear that you werent successfull. It really takes alot of time and dedication. Maybe one day you will give it another shot as the hobby grows so does the demand for horses and there just are not enough breeders out there to protect the wild caught. The breeder I deal with cant keep up with the demand. If you want to make money you have to market just like anything else. your heart also has to be in it, you have to really care about them to be successfull. Not just try to make a dime. Anyways thanks for sharing and maybe you will give it another shot one day.

Thanks for the input, However Iexpect to be much more successfull than that. They should actually be converted to froz mysis by the third to fourth week. This is achieved by feeding a variety of foods at the same time from the start. newly hatched artemia, 48hr gutlaoaded artemia, cyclopeeze and chopped mysis slowly decreasing live foods. as well as different sizes as horses grow at different rates. With southern erectus 50% survival is considered good 80% excellent. Also specialized tanks are used. theres alot more invoved in raising horses than just throwing them in a tank feeding them and hoping for the best.

What type of special tank design considerations are necessary?

How to you enrich (gutload) the artemia?

What type of special tank design considerations are necessary?

How to you enrich (gutload) the artemia?

1st. tank design. not to much different from your typical tank with sump. the specialized comes in with the overflow. drilled bottom 1"standpipe with a round filter sponge like the ones that come from a hang on overflow then you wrap the sponge in pantyhose. Then small return pump for low flow. return line on one end of the tank airline on other side have to play with them a little bit to get circular flow motion not so much that you blow them around, but enough to keep food suspended in th water column and push any horses down that tend to stick around at the top. although they do need to reach the surface to fill their swim bladder with air. I am currently working on a design, that i am not going to discuss yet until its finished. i also use a small pc for lighting and heater in the sump of course. you can also go the 10g no sump method, but then you have to do 50% waterchanges everyday. Too much trouble, money and stress on the horses.

2nd. i gut load newly hatched artemia for 48hrs with a mixture of phyto, cyclopeze, vibrance. blend it in salt water then strain through a brine shrimp net into the grow out tank. only enough to make the water a little cloudy. When it clears up repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...