I wanna breed snails!!

lanman

I've done a lot of searching on the internet - but I'm sure I've missed something somewhere. How would one go about breeding some of our favorite snails?? Does anyone know, or have a good link??

I find lots of bits and pieces - "Just leave your lights off for a week, and you will have baby snails." "It's easy - I have them growing all over the place."

I want complete directions, like okay - I'm an idiot. I want to start with the basics...

1. Establish a proper mood. Dim the lights, chill some champagne.

2. Introduce the prospective parents. Fredsnail, this is Susansnail - I think you're going to like each other...

Has anyone actually raised up a batch of snails??? I have a 'breeding pair' of turbos that MUST be old enough to be considered consenting adults - they are 3" in diameter! I get assorted snail eggs all over the place, but if they hatch, they must get eaten - 'cause I've never seen any baby snails.

Thanks for any help

bob

Mine breed all the time. Not sure what I am doing right(or wrong) but I wish they would stop. I would rater not use filter socks in my sump, but have no choice as they constantly make there way down there and clog up pumps and skimmers. Even with the filter socks I still have to clean 1 or 2 out of the venturi of the skimmer every week. These are margarita snails. I had some ceriths and it one point I saw some cerith babies, but they must not have made it as my cerith population seems to be nonexistant.

Somewhere out there are some publications on breeding and rearing Trochus by Gerald Heslinga, the guy who now runs IPSF. The main thing seems to be keeping the veligers in suspension until they settle. I think turbos also have a veliger stage.

Mine grow up in the refugium. I have thousands of Snail eggs all over the place, and I can see the tiny ones in the fuge where there are no predators. I am pretty sure my wrasse and a few other predatorial fish are enjoying the "scargott" daily! :)

Let me know what your research turns out... i would be interested. Almon is putting together a "Breeding" group. Maybe we can add snails to the mix.

In recent months, I've had a flood of baby nassarius snails that have made it pretty far along. They're in my sump, my display, my frag tank, and my refugium. Everywhere. The largest are now around a 1/4" and the smallest (probably from a new batch) are pin-head sized. I don't feel that I'm doing anything special, though.