Stu's 30g Oceanic Cube

Stu

I had this tank set up for about 2 years when I was in law school back in Florida. I have kept my 12g nano cube since then, but I decided it was time to move back to the 30.

I originally found the stand about a year ago on Craigs List. It's a cherry armoire that I got because of its taller-than-normal height. I never cared much for the stock stands that usually come with tanks because they are not very tall. The armoire stands just above my waist, so there's not too much bending over. It also allowed for plenty of skimmer, shelf, and frag tank room under the stand. The armoire had formerly sat on casters. I took those out, and built a support frame inside of it with 1x4's. All in all, the supports for the stand are probably overbuilt. This was just for extra peace of mind.

I painted the inside of the stand with a tan latex paint, then covered the paint in several coats of spar urethane for waterproofing. I also installed a pvc shower pan liner in the bottom of the stand. This will ensure that in the unfortunate event of a sump overflow, the liner will hold about 4 inches of standing water.

I installed two shelves, one to hold a small in-line frag tank, and another for storage. I also mounted a few wire-type shelves on one of the doors. I plan to mount a magnet bar (the kind that holds knives in the kitchen) for forceps and fragging tools on the other door. The frag tank is a custom 7" x 7" x 16" acrylic tank that fits nicely above the sump under the stand. It is fed by a tee off the return line with a ball valve for flow adjustment. I will have 2 t5ho's mounted over this tank, and a 13w 6500k compact fluorescent over the fuge. Both will be powered by an IceCap 430. I also mounted a small $7 fan from Target to act as an exhaust fan for the stand. I find that these fans are very quiet, push a lot of air, and best of all are cheap and therefore easily replaceable. I mounted an American DJ Power Center on the back of the stand, which has 8 switches for 8 plugs. As I don't currently have a controller, this is the next best thing for switching pumps, skimmer, powerheads, etc. on and off. It was also what I think to be a very good deal for $30 at Guitar Center.

Tank:

30g Oceanic Cube with Cherry Trim, drilled w/ two 1" bulkheads and 3/4" returns, custom low profile acrylic overflow

Stand:

Cherry armoire, fully reinforced

Lighting:

20" Current USA Nova Extreme Pro, 6x20w t5ho bulbs

Icecap 430, lighting 2x20w retrofit t5ho's for frag tank, 13w compact fluorescent for fuge

Filtration:

~15 gal. acrylic Reef Mania sump w/ skimmer chamber and fuge w/ remote deep sand bed

Vertex in100 Protein Skimmer

Flow:

Vortech mp20

Mag Drive 9.5 Return Pump

ATO:

JBJ Auto Top Off System

Misc.:

American DJ Power Center (8 switch unit)

$7 Target Exhaust Fan for stand ventilation

I created the rockwork by using a combination of zip ties, pond foam, fiberglass resin, and sand. Here is a thread that shows how I made it:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...c=30924&hl=

The rock has been in Sam's (L82Rise) huge refugium for about 2 months, so it should be sufficiently seeded and full of life. Am going to move it into the tank as soon as it's up and running (hopefully in the next few days). This has been a slow work in progress as far as setup goes, and I am excited to transfer my livestock over from my 12g soon. Fell free to comment and offer advice! Here are some pics.

Stand front:

gallery_2631560_644_279848.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_910554.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_515453.jpg

Power Center:

gallery_2631560_644_1555169.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_1714414.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_1741831.jpg

The plumbing's not hooked up yet. Use your imagination:

gallery_2631560_644_301065.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_366932.jpg

Frag tank:

gallery_2631560_644_1082844.jpg

Exhaust fan:

gallery_2631560_644_1300423.jpg

Thanks all for the kind words. I siliconed the overflow to the back wall last night. The seams were plenty firm this morning and had all but lost the vinegar smell, and it should be fully cured by the time I get home from work tonight. Will hook up all the plumbing and do a water test tonight to make sure the seals on the overflow have no leaks. I will get some pics up as well.

Update:

The tank is up and running! Although with one bump along the way. On Tues. night I went ahead and did the water test to make sure the overflow was good to go. I was so concerned with standing over the tank, looking into the overflow chamber to check for leaks, that I neglected to open the ball valves on the drain line. The overflow held just fine with no leaks. Water fills up, past the overflow teeth, and into the overflow. I'm thinking everything's fine when all of a sudden I see water coming over the top of my tank. I was standing by the power strip and unplugged the pump as soon as I realized what was happening, but it made for about an extra hour of sucking everything up with the shop vac and towels. At least it was freshwater.

I ran it with fresh water for a day to make sure all the plumbing was sealed well, then drained it and put salt water in. I went to Sam's house last night and picked up the rock structure and got it into my tank.

2 problems:

1. Lots of micro bubbles coming out of my skimmer and clouding the tank. I am hoping this will subside in about a week as the skimmer slimes up.

2. With the overflow in there, the rock structure juts out just a little bit farther on the left than I had liked. I am thinking I am going to take a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to the back of the rockwork and the front left part to bring it back just about 2 inches.

3. I didn't have time to get the sand in there before I had to pick up the rock, so I still have to put it in there, working it around the rock structure. Shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Could only get one pic uploaded; my camera was acting funny:

gallery_2631560_644_1422102.jpg

Stu-

If you get a carbon blade for a circular saw you can cut the rock where you need without all of the banging, and possibly breaking, of the whole structure.

The microbubbles are normal with new skimmers and new saltwater. Give it a few days and it will calm down. Get the sand in there and a nice scoop of live sand from an established tank in there and it will help the cycle.

And hurry up......I want to see that rock structure! ;)

Stu-

If you get a carbon blade for a circular saw you can cut the rock where you need without all of the banging, and possibly breaking, of the whole structure.

The microbubbles are normal with new skimmers and new saltwater. Give it a few days and it will calm down. Get the sand in there and a nice scoop of live sand from an established tank in there and it will help the cycle.

And hurry up......I want to see that rock structure! ;)

I'd rather not have to buy a carbon blade for just this one thing. I do agree that chiseling is probably not a good idea. What about a hacksaw? Do you think that would cut through okay? It's only like 2 little pieces that are jutting out in the back, keeping it off the overflow. If I could cut those off, it would push the whole thing back like 2 inches or so. I might not even have to lug the structure out of the tank if I used a hacksaw. I could just drain the water quickly, cut them off, then fill it back up.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about 2 weeks and I have almost all my corals transferred over. What used to look like a jungle of coral in the nano cube looks like a bunch of little weeds in this tank. I keep having to remind myself that it will all fill in. In fact, it's going to be tough resisting getting too many more frags, as I want to try for natural-looking growth patterns, especially in the SPS. I still have to transfer all my zoas over, which is why the front left part of the rock is bare. That's going to be a zoa garden jutting out from the rock structure.

The clown came from my 12g, and I picked up a most beautiful mystery wrasse on Saturday. I wanted to add it last, but at the price I got it for and how nice it is, I couldn't pass it up. Let's just hope it doesn't pay any attention to the forthcoming flame hawk and bluespotted jawfish. So far, it hasn't even acted like the clown is even there--hopefully a good sign. I wish I could say the same about the hermits in my tank, which are slowly becoming wrasse meals. All in all, I love this fish and I'm willing to forego ornamental shrimp, crabs, etc. for it.

The skimmer finally broke in after a week of microbubbling everywhere, and it seems to have found a nice stable level in the neck. It is doing a great job of skimming and pulling out some nasty smelling nog. I think a few more days, and the tank will be pretty much bubble-free.

I am borrowing 2 koralias while I wait for a Vortech mp10. The SPS definitely did not like the transfer and some are losing their colors a bit. I think in a month or so all will be back to normal.

gallery_2631560_644_928847.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_1356065.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_1470497.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_628727.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_532004.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_341416.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_545118.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_70403.jpg

gallery_2631560_644_1315667.jpg

Thats looking awesome Stu !

I would speak to the not adding more frags things, but that would be hippocritical ;) lol

That is funny about your Mystery - luckily I added mine pretty much last, except for the Flame Troupe - he hasn't ate any shrimps, and there are only a couple hermits left, so hopefully it will stay that way, but like you said, I don't really mind either way - definitely a cool fish. He did chase the smaller of the 4 flame wrasses out of the tank though - finally. I caught it once, the next time a buddy and I watched him fly out of the tank (put him back in) then a couple days later the wife and I found a fish bisquit.

Definitely keep this thing updated with tank growth shots, that will cool to watch it grow in.

That looks great! If you haven't done so yet...put something on the top of the tank to keep that wrasse in.

Thanks! I learned my jumping lesson a few years back when I had another mystery wrasse. The tank has a 1/4" clear mesh screen top on it that sits on the inside lip of the top rim. Knock on wood, but I don't think anything's getting out. It's funny cause after a day or so I saw the wrasse swim up to the top and literally kind of stick his eyes out of the water to check for openings. Smart little bugger (or desperately suicidal).

• 3 weeks later...

Gorgeous array of colors. Everything's very strategically placed. I'm really digging that lower sweeping arm. Full of Acan Goodness :)

Edited by zoozilla

• 2 months later...

12/20/09 update:

The tank is coming along well, with everything growing in and maturing. I reduced the photoperiod of the 10k's and it made a huge difference in the SPS's color. Currently have a mystery wrasse and a midas blenny, who are always visible and active.

Full tank shot:

gallery_2631560_720_27235.jpg

Right side:

gallery_2631560_720_42775.jpg

Left side:

gallery_2631560_720_18329.jpg

Underneath:

gallery_2631560_720_29547.jpg

Acan branch:

gallery_2631560_720_59799.jpg

gallery_2631560_720_8211.jpg

gallery_2631560_720_61490.jpg

gallery_2631560_720_40802.jpg

Brains:

gallery_2631560_720_5895.jpg

A few more pics. Sorry for the crappy quality.

Ricordea garden:

gallery_2631560_720_37336.jpg

Zoos and palys:

gallery_2631560_720_7627.jpg

Euphyllia "island":

gallery_2631560_720_55759.jpg

Derasa clam:

gallery_2631560_720_7760.jpg

SPS at top:

gallery_2631560_720_1314020.jpg

SPS branch:

gallery_2631560_720_40356.jpg