DIY Ozone Reactor

Boret

Seems like the ss pressure gauge is a non stock item. I ordered a few of them 2 weeks ago and nothing. I have most of the other parts together but I hate starting a project like this without everything layed out. I do have an idea about how to use a brass pressure gauge which would trim a little of the cost and lead time down, the sacrifice is it would make the unit a little more bulky with the extra plumbing to prevent the water that touched the brass from entering the aquarium. Upside to this is I can have plumbing and brass gauges in a day.......

I got mine in 2 days. I guess I got the last one :) Did you order from Omega?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, air drying is useful because the generator will produce more byproducts like nitric acid and bromine radicals in addition to oxygen radicals (i.e., ozone) with humid air. You definitely want to carbon filter that effluent water in either case when using a 300mg unit with no air dryer on a 125 gal tank. I guess if your fish aren't gasping or displaying other respiratory stress you should be ok, but I would still postfilter it.

How do you get it to stay on for a longer period of time without raising the ORP? Are you saying that a 50mg/hr unit will kill stuff, but raise the ORP slowly. That is the idea. How the actual numbers work out are yet to be put into an exact equation but this is the goal here, to figure out a very close to a : x-water volume/flow rate*mg/hr= internal orp great enough to kill pathogens but not enough to harm inhabitants

What is the pressurization of the reactor going to do then? It seems that if it is too effective, then it won't stay on long enough. making water droplets that are suspended in a gas chamber filled with ozone will allow less o3 to be used than trying to inject the ozone into the water column and mixing it with air. Slowing the flow rate to allow long enough contact time is another huge advantage here. Skimmers are designed to handle a completely different flow rate than the o3 reactors.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I guess I'll hit up some white pages online and read a little more about this. There is quite a bit of info out there about o2 reactors but not a lot about o3 reactors. The good news is that the design of a o2 reactor is pretty much the exact same thing, there are a few things that are unique to ozone itself but there are pretty good overview articles around that should help with the basics

What about this place:

LINK

$34 for a 0-60 psi Stainless Steel Pressure Gauge

There are about 800+ different models but I am not sure what we are looking for as far as specs is concerned.

What about this place:

LINK

$34 for a 0-60 psi Stainless Steel Pressure Gauge

There are about 800+ different models but I am not sure what we are looking for as far as specs is concerned.

Thx. Just ordered 2ea 0-15psi ss gauges from them. They showed in stock and said they ship same day.

are there plans in the works for a gsa reactor or will you build them on special order......what would be the price for one for a 200 gal system........there are not alot of ozone reactors on the market seems to be a market for them.Chad i would just cycle the ozoner that i gave you on and off every few minutes this will give you crystal clear water and help with the carbon bill just make sure you test with a pool kit to get a handle on the carbon replacement sch.

Edited by basser9

are there plans in the works for a gsa reactor or will you build them on special order......what would be the price for one for a 200 gal system........there are not alot of ozone reactors on the market seems to be a market for them.Chad i would just cycle the ozoner that i gave you on and off every few minutes this will give you crystal clear water and help with the carbon bill just make sure you test with a pool kit to get a handle on the carbon replacement sch.

Possible. I've been staying busy lately so no need to expand the product line quite yet. I'm more interested in figuring out the great ozone equation at this point, I figure if I show how to build it for the DIYer then I am more likely to get help borrowing ozone generators and orp monitors when the time comes, plus I know there are a lot of great minds here who can help contribute. That said, I may put it in the catalog one day if I can be competitive in the market and still make money, so if you are not comfortable contributing ideas that potentially could lead to a "for sale" product, this may not be a good thread to be posting on :)

diy always if possible HOW ABOUT A DIY ozone injector nozzle this is what we need.....any ideas........anybody can make a vessel that will hold alittle pressure but we need a injecter spray nozzle that will hold up to ozone.

diy always if possible HOW ABOUT A DIY ozone injector nozzle this is what we need.....any ideas........anybody can make a vessel that will hold alittle pressure but we need a injecter spray nozzle that will hold up to ozone.

I'm using a 316 SS nozzle, cost about $80. I can't imagine trying to DIY it. I suppose you could make one out of HDPE which should last for a while. I will post a pic later.

Thanks Justin!!

basser9 I guess we will need also Stainless Steel. I found these plastic ones, very cheap, but I don't know what plastic they use and we have to consider the degrading effect of ozone on several materials.

List of materials and compatibility with Ozone:

Compatibility%20with%20Ozone%201.JPGCompatibility%20with%20Ozone%202.JPG

Basically we are looking to build something like this:

obj231geo70pg6p8.jpg

I don't really have any plans to use a nozzle, with the flow rate we are talking for a small reactor (Justin take a picture of the one we built for you) a drip plate (think of a skimmer bubble plate at the top of the reactor) and filling the reactor itself with biobale is going to be more than enough to make droplets. It's hard to get a feel for how study the biobale is just by looking at that picture above but it is plastic material. I am pretty sure they take a PVC rod and put it on a lathe and shave off layers to make it, that's what it looks like anyways.

Let me see if I understand this.... the use of Bio Media is basically to increase surface area so there is more contact between water and ozone, right?. Wouldn't using a spraying nozzle remove the need for bio media? Almost like a carburetor that mixes gas with air.

On the other hand, salt creep might block the nozzle often.

I was also wondering how does the increased air(O3) pressure (5psi) affect the water that has to circulate back into the tank. Wouldn't that pressure try to leave through the water outlet?

I am dazed and confused! :drink:

Let me see if I understand this.... the use of Bio Media is basically to increase surface area so there is more contact between water and ozone, right?.Yes

Wouldn't using a spraying nozzle remove the need for bio media? Even with a nozzle you still need the biomedia to slow the flow to the bottom of the reactor to get the contact time, the nozzle just atomizes the water quickly. After the water has been atomized it will likely turn back into droplet size beads as it passes through the media. That's the great thing about h2o is it is VERY attracted to itself, it will try as hard as it can to reform into bigger droplets immediately after being atomized. I think Justin will see a little benefit from this "premist" only because his reactor holds 40 gallons in volume Almost like a carburetor that mixes gas with air.

On the other hand, salt creep might block the nozzle often.

I was also wondering how does the increased air(O3) pressure (5psi) affect the water that has to circulate back into the tank. Wouldn't that pressure try to leave through the water outlet? We put a valve on the outlet, creates the back pressure needed

I am dazed and confused! :drink:

I thought the salt creep would also have a negative impact on the nozzel but it might be more a calcium issue.

I think the good old Dupla bio balls might be perfect for this since they won't compress over time with the weight of water or small pressure forcing it down. A tower like the picture makes me think more so.

My first DIY "reactor" for ozone used the old drip plate and bio balls and worked great, the generators of 18ish years ago just weren't that great and needed too much maintenance.

Still using carbon for all water treated with ozone?