Considering a new pump.

Brian Ward

I think I need one of these to boost my turnover :biggrin: 150,000 gallons per second... is that enough?
If you're using the NeoZeoWheeo system, you'll need at least twice that much flow.

I loved the comments after the article. The Web makes the world so much warmer and fuzzier.

Looks like they're installing it in the world's biggest sump, New Orleans.

Lake Pontchartrain (pronounced /ˈpɒntʃətreɪn/; French: Lac Pontchartrain, French: [lak pɔ̃ʃaʀtʀɛ̃] ( listen)) is a brackish estuary located in southeastern Louisiana. It is the second-largest saltwater lake in the United States, after the Great Salt Lake in Utah, and the largest lake in Louisiana. It covers an area of 630 square miles (1630 square km) with an average depth of 12 to 14 feet (about 4 meters). Some shipping channels are kept deeper through dredging. It is roughly oval in shape, about 40 miles (64 km) wide and 24 miles (39 km) from south to north. In descending order of area, the lake is located in parts of St. Tammany, Orleans, Jefferson, St. John the Baptist, St. Charles, and Tangipahoa parishes.

pretty darn big sump.... ;)

I have already begun construction on a needlewheel impeller so that I can hook that up to a skimmer. 150,000 gallons per second will most likely be reduced to a modest 145,000 gallons per second so I'm going to turn the skimmer into a recirculating model to account for the lesser flow. Was thinking of adding ozone to it, too.

I have already begun construction on a needlewheel impeller so that I can hook that up to a skimmer. 150,000 gallons per second will most likely be reduced to a modest 145,000 gallons per second so I'm going to turn the skimmer into a recirculating model to account for the lesser flow. Was thinking of adding ozone to it, too.

How many SCMH (standard cubic miles per hour) of air do you expect that to draw?

How many SCMH (standard cubic miles per hour) of air do you expect that to draw?

About what you would get if you had the state of Virginia draw a collective breath, although this could be lower or higher depending on how I get the venturi to work. I was thinking of utilizing something along the lines of 10' tubing, but not sure how that will affect the ability of the pump to keep up with water. Only problem right now is how to make this work with an air silencer. Got any ideas? :biggrin:

You will get better performance if you perform a gate valve mod on this pump IME

H-202-B.jpg

Hmmm... I see that's a Hilton pump. They sure know how to... I'll leave that one unsaid, family site!

So the lake can be pumped dry in less than 15 days. Cool.

3,097,600 Sq Ft in 1 Sq mile

1,951,488,000 Sq ft in 630 Sq mile

25,369,344,000 Cubic ft at 13 ft deep

189,775,377,792 Gallons at 7.4805 per cubic ft

1,265,169.19 Seconds to pump at 150k per

21,086.15 Minutes

351.44 Hours

14.64 Days

Edited by gsedlack

Hmmm... I see that's a Hilton pump. They sure know how to... I'll leave that one unsaid, family site!

lol ... I figured Dan would find something for us :biggrin: