Getting a DSLR camera

Boret

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None yet.... Waiting on a few new models coming out, and keeping an eye for deals.

Let us know if you find any. I'll do the same. I plan on getting one around Xmas time since this is when they typically put electronics on sale, along with new models.

I actually do quite a bit of shopping AFTER Xmas just due to all the markdowns to get stuff moved out :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to lie, I didn't read all the posts, however I know a thing or two about photography.

1st - Don't worry about the pixels, thats just a selling factor people will use to promote what their selling. If you were blowing up your pictures to billboard size, yea I would say megapixels matter.

2nd - You don't have to buy top of the line or latest and greatest. My personal opinion, buy a decent body with your budget, use the rest of the money to buy a decent focal length lens (50-200mm) for everyday shooting, and save the rest of the money for a decent $400 dollar macro lens and a tripod. You're not going to get the pictures like most people see on here without a tripod and sharp lens.

3rd - Used is good too. www.keh.com highly reputable for their used equipment, truth be told I literally ordered a used D200 like 12 hours ago and I cannot wait.

I'm personally a Nikon guy, I thought about switching to cannon but thats a long list why and in the long run I decided to stick with Nikon. Personally, the being able to see the picture in the screen versus the view finder isn't as accurate. In the viewfinder you get a magnified look at what you're taking a picture of, if its sharp and in focus, if its cropped everything you want.

I recommend the D40 or D3000 or the Canon Rebel XS. I think you'll be happy with those choices with what you want to do, plus it can still take "professional" photos with the right lens and the right settings.

I used a Nikon D80 and a 60mm macro lens seen here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6698..._Autofocus.html to take these photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davinroyal/se...57614788265515/

They are nothing fantastic but it gives you an idea, plus I took all of these without a tripod compromising ISO and aperture/shutter speed.

But like I said www.keh.com is good. If you want the classes I know if you buy a camera from Ritz camera they offer a class on how to use it but you could just read the manual, tinker with the camera, and READ. There are tons of how to articles online, something like http://digital-photography-school.com/ is a great place to start. Plus you can youtube on how to use the camera. Another thing is join a nikon or canon forum and a lot of times people will explain how they took the shot they did and what they did to make it look they way it did.

Just my .02

If you go Nikon I can help you out with most questions, canon I know nothing about.

Thanks for the info Droyal1110!

I still haven't decided on one, kind of waiting for the right deal (I like the Canon T1i). The reason I like seeing the image in the LCD screen is two fold. 1 to be able to see the color depiction. As a total camera noob I don't know what I am doing until I see the picture. I think that seeing the effect of brightness/contrast, AF, shutter speed, etc... in the screen will help me understand it better. I am sure I will ignore the LCD screen once I am familiar with the camera. 2. making the transition from point and shoot cameras it will be easier for my wife to use the camera if she is able to see through the LCD.

I keep an eye on craigslist weekly in hopes of finding a great deal for an XS. Most of the time though, there is a difference of about $200 between a used XS and a brand new T1i. At that point I find more justification to spend the money in the latest vs the old and used.

Also, if I decide that DSLR is not the way to go (i.e. because I don't use it) then selling a newer model seems easier than an older model.

Not a problem. I am as passionate and knowledgeable about cameras as most people are reefing (I'm getting there too.)

Honestly I contemplated the T1i, but I just couldn't make the jump, I've got too much money invested into Nikon and even if I bought the adapter to use Nikon lenses on a Canon body it just wouldn't be the same.

Good luck on your purchase and if you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help you or direct you to the right place. I also enjoy doing "photoshoots" or just walking around new areas taking pictures, if you buy a new camera and want to go on a stroll and learn about picture taking I'm all for it.

The wife picked up a camera for me for our Anniversary. She picked a good one. We ended up upgrading though from the Canon 780IS to the Canon SD 980IS

It'll be here monday. I can't wait to mess around with the touch screen!

Guess I won't be needing to wait and review anything else...

• 3 weeks later...

COSTCO has the Canon T1i with 2 lenses for $899.99

478961n.jpg

• Canon Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Body
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens

It also includes a 4GB Memory Card. (the picture shows a 2gb card but the text says 4gb)

Seems a good deal!

What do you guys think?

Yes its a good price, B&H Photo and Adorama have this kit for the same price with free shipping (UPS ground) but do not include the memory card. You will have to find if the difference between ordering online and buying a card will beat the deal from Costco + tax ;)

• 4 weeks later...

So after several months of playing around with DSLR I am now debating if I should just go for a superzoom point and shoot instead.

The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 seems a very capable camera, it has great macro and zoom capabilities, Leica lense, very decent video recording and an attractive price @ $300+.

panasonic-dmc-fz35-lumix.jpg

HERE you can find a full review of the camera.

With the DSLR I am looking at well over $1,000 to get the same functions. Probably much more if I want the zoom and macro.

Now, I understand that a DSLR will always provide much better pictures at low light and will have undoubtly better quality overall. But I am not a photographer and will hardly ever carry the bag with all the lenses. Can I justify the expenditure? I don't think so.

With the Panasonic i get a decent camera, with a good lens in a "smaller" package, way more portable and with nice HD video recording so I don't need to buy a camcorder.

Have any of you by any chance played around with this camera? It competes with the Nikon P90, Canon SX1 & SX20, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1, Pentax X70, etc... The Canon SX1 is almost $600 so that is out, and the Nikon doesn't perform as well as the Panasonic from what I read in the reviews. I also dislike the 4 AA batteries on the Canon versus the Lithium battery on the Panasonic.

I can get the FZ35 with 16GB card and spare battery for $360 (shipped).

For that kind of money I can only get a refurbished D40 or Canon XS without video or zoom or macro.

I just reread the thread and Dshnarw already had a long post (page 2) about this megazoom cameras. The FZ35 was not available yet and I think is an option that fits better my camera usage. We will see if I hit or not the purchase button on amazon in the next few days :)

COSTCO has the Canon T1i with 2 lenses for $899.99

• Canon Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Body
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens

It also includes a 4GB Memory Card. (the picture shows a 2gb card but the text says 4gb)

Seems a good deal!

What do you guys think?

^ This is now $799 at Costco :O

Im looking too and some of the sample videos Ive seen on YouTube are amazing. Especially one shot at the GA Aquarium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juwnARK5lHY

I end up getting the Panasonic DMC-FZ35 from amazon.com for a bit over $300. I also added an extra battery for $11, UV lens protector $6, Case Logic Bag $10 and a Class 6 SDHC 16GB Card for $40.

This is a video I took of the tank:

Try to watch the HD version. That is hand held on auto. No tweaking or tripod video yet. I messed around with the Focus button in a few frames.

So far I am very pleased with the purchase. I understand the camera will never achieve the level of quality of a DSLR. But I get decent Leica lens with 18x Optical zoom, 1 cm macro, in a fairly small and portable package and my wife gets an easy to use Point&Shoot with great Video capabilities. It records sound in Stereo and has fast focusing while filming.

Can't wait to figure out all the manual options for Video. There are a few neat features.

For anyone considering a DSLR ... I end up picking up whatever was convenient in my case. I know that if I bought the DSLR I was going to end up spending a bunch of money on a macro lens and better zoom, even a 50mm lens. On top of that I would probably end up not taking the camera with me therefore missing the opportunity to catch some memorable moments. The FZ35 seems to be the camera for us, but it doesn't come close to the picture quality you get out of a DSLR.

Can't wait to figure out all the manual options for Video. There are a few neat features.

For anyone considering a DSLR ... I end up picking up whatever was convenient in my case. I know that if I bought the DSLR I was going to end up spending a bunch of money on a macro lens and better zoom, even a 50mm lens. On top of that I would probably end up not taking the camera with me therefore missing the opportunity to catch some memorable moments. The FZ35 seems to be the camera for us, but it doesn't come close to the picture quality you get out of a DSLR.

I ended up buying a nice small point and shoot - still 12meg, but not the same. But I KNEW I would never take a bigger camera out. Its all on what works for us :)

^ This is now $799 at Costco :O

Im looking too and some of the sample videos Ive seen on YouTube are amazing. Especially one shot at the GA Aquarium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juwnARK5lHY

Eric,

I still see it at $899.99 at COSTCO.com Is the price $799.99 at a local COSTCO?

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure someone in the market for it would appreciate it.

keep an eye out also for when Cameta Cam runs sales (usually found on Amazon).

I recently picked up the Canon XS, 18-55mm Canon Lens, 75-300mm Canon Lens, 2x8GB cards, 2xBatteries, Camera Bag and small accessories for $684...I had looked for weeks and as mentioned prior, don't pay attention to boosted MP unless you don't mind paying this years most recent sticker price. Most of the reviews I read peg the last three Canons pretty similar in features.

now to figure out how to use it...or the best settings for tank shots