My newest coral...

lanman

I purchased this coral today at Marine Scene. Bleached out - but I liked the character of it, and it was a pretty good-sized piece; fan-shaped, 8" x 4". And I spotted a wee bit of color that I found quite attractive. This is a fairly massive coral - thick branches. If anyone has an idea of what species it might be - would like suggestions. It came from Fiji - wild-caught, and tank-raised.

So... I laid it in a container and studied for a bit...

newcoral1.jpg

Then I cut the left side of it off, and mounted it on a rock...

newcoral2.jpg

And if you look closely... you will see some color on a few of the corallites...

newcoral3.jpg

newcoral4.jpg

Naturally, I made two large, and three small frags from the leftovers. The frags are a lot closer to the light than the main colony - and I swear one of them already is coloring up. The main colony has FULL polyp extension already - and I just brutalized it a couple of hours ago!! I think he's going to be my new friend.

bob

Sweet Bob, I'll be tagging along on this one..

I'm thinking it's gonna get a real nice blue to it...

I think it looks like a stag of some sort.possibly a Formosa...

Maybe you should let another reefer with a different tank grow one of the frags see if it develops different coloration. ;)

Maybe you should let another reefer with a different tank grow one of the frags see if it develops different coloration. ;)

Yeah Bob! Hint/Hint

I just turned off the water flow in the frag pond... and I'm sure that thing is bluer already. I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

And yes - one or two of the frags should get spread around.

bob

Very nice find Bob! Has lots of potential. Will surely do well in your tank.

Mmmm... I wouldn't mind for some "Leftovers", if available ;)

Hey Bob, this is one for the picture-a-day progression type of thread.

Well... so far I have yesterday's and today's - and I do think I see a hint more blue. Definitely better polyp extension today than yesterday's picture. Will post anytime there's a noticeable change in color.

bob

I would try and put it in the shade since it looks really bleached out and the intensity from your t-5's could possibly finish it off.

I would try and put it in the shade since it looks really bleached out and the intensity from your t-5's could possibly finish it off.

I have it sitting at the bottom of the tank - over two feet from the lights. It will stay there for a few weeks, and then take a place of honor.

I looked at this coral in the dark this morning with a flashlight. It has so much polyp extension, it looks like a fuzzy baby chicken.

bob

So when am I stopping by your place? :)

(.... I am serious I want to see your frags!!)

Make a deal with you... you show me how to put my AC-III statistics online - and I'll give you a frag! hehehe!

bob