Glen's 250 Gallon upgrade

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this tank significantly lighter than Leishman's? From the photos and especially from the faces on the guys carrying this tank, it doesn't look as heavy.

Looking good man! Have you got the tank on the stand yet?

Hopefully the top of the stand will be complete this weekend, then we'll get the tank up. I'm jumping ahead with the water because it's going to take forever to make 400 gallons with my RODI.

wow you a closet carpenter, haha...looking good bro...

I'm just doing the grunt work. KevP did the design and most of the cutting.

Is this tank significantly lighter than Leishman's? From the photos and especially from the faces on the guys carrying this tank, it doesn't look as heavy.

I don't know the weight of Leishman's tank, but this one isn't light. One of my friends is 6'6" and 280+ he did most of the lifting :)

Kewl thread can't wait to see this beast up and running. Love the depth on that tank.

Kewl thread can't wait to see this beast up and running. Love the depth on that tank.

It's coming along. Finally got the chance this week to get some work done.

The stand is pretty much done, we just have to laminate the top and skin the sides.

Mock up of where I'll be placing the equipment. WE still need to build the platform for the refugium.

stand-8.jpg

stand-9.jpg

stand-10.jpg

stand-11.jpg

Kevin, did an awesome routing the counter top by hand.

stand-12.jpg

stand-13.jpg

(edited)

Finally I some real updates.

The top is almost complete. We applied the Formica, but we're waiting on the lip to be cut. Still need to skin this thing wide some drywall. I plan on using the exposed side of the sump as a mantis shrimp display.

stand-14.jpg

stand-15.jpg

We were able to con a couple neighbors into helping up move the tank to onto the stand :)

stand-16.jpg

These guys :) I think I have the order wrong, but I found them in a cool shop in Old Town Manassas.

stand-17.jpg

This is a tank I ordered from NAGA, the build quality is incredible. 1.25" on the sides with 1" on the front and back. No bracing needed :)

stand-18.jpg

stand-19.jpg

Maybe we'll be 75% operational by next weekend? :clap:

Hopefully I can complete the plumbing this week and possibly mount the lights.

Edited by dgtlwar

Are you planning on running a dedicated breaker or two to your set-up? I have been debating this and think i would rather be safe than sorry in the end if i got everything up and starting triping breakers...???

Anyone have any idea how many watts one breaker can take?

Are you planning on running a dedicated breaker or two to your set-up? I have been debating this and think i would rather be safe than sorry in the end if i got everything up and starting triping breakers...???

Anyone have any idea how many watts one breaker can take?

I'm getting two 20A breakers installed. My electrician is away on travel, so it might be a while :). I'm maxed out in the basement. I had to move my printer because I couldn't print anything during the day when when my halides were running.

Sweet frag tank. I think u should black it out. :)

That's exactly the plan. Man, I stole so many ideas from you LOL. I was going to call you for the move, but this was a spur of the moment move haha. We pretty much grabbed a couple people off of the street.

That's exactly the plan. Man, I stole so many ideas from you LOL. I was going to call you for the move, but this was a spur of the moment move haha. We pretty much grabbed a couple people off of the street.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Getting some good progress done. Nice idea with the formica top. What are you planning to use for trim on the side of the top?

Getting some good progress done. Nice idea with the formica top. What are you planning to use for trim on the side of the top?

The same formica, I'm just waiting to get the strips back from the shop.

What happen to the CJ stand pipe?

I didn't order them yet, but I plan on it. I don't really care for the look of the white pipes.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm diggin' that acrylic tank. It's sweet.

Thanks! I've been out of it for a while. Here are a few updates.

I finally have lights over the tank. I can't run them until the electrician finishes up though :(

wamas-6.jpg

wamas-7.jpg

wamas-8.jpg

wamas-9.jpg

Random livestock photos.

wamas-1.jpg

wamas-2.jpg

wamas-3.jpg

wamas-4.jpg

Wow that room filled up fast! Are you going to put some panels on the stand to hide all the equipment? Nice Yellow Belly pics by the way.

Wow that room filled up fast! Are you going to put some panels on the stand to hide all the equipment? Nice Yellow Belly pics by the way.

The stand will be build into the wall with doors. I plan on tacking that in a couple weeks when I get a break from school. Yeah it did fill up fast. I wish I had about two more feet :)

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Just a few new pictures, I should be done building next month hopefully.

Side View

reef-22.jpg

Full tank shot

reef-24.jpg

Fish and Frags

reef-25.jpg

reef-26.jpg

reef-27.jpg

reef-28.jpg

reef-29.jpg

reef-30.jpg

reef-31.jpg

reef-32.jpg

reef-33.jpg

reef-34.jpg

reef-35.jpg

reef-36.jpg

reef-37.jpg

reef-38.jpg

reef-39.jpg

reef-40.jpg

reef-41.jpg

reef-42.jpg

reef-43.jpg

reef-44.jpg

reef-45.jpg

reef-46.jpg

reef-47.jpg

reef-48.jpg

reef-49.jpg

reef-50.jpg

reef-51.jpg

reef-52.jpg

reef-53.jpg

reef-54.jpg

reef-55.jpg

reef-56.jpg

reef-57.jpg

reef-58.jpg

reef-59.jpg

reef-60.jpg

Edited by dgtlwar

Thanks Steve. It's coming along. I get to work in short burtst between semesters, but I need to pick up the pace since I'll be hosting thanksgiving this year.

I still haven't purchased the standpipes, I need to measure the existing ones before I place he order.

Decided not to run the frag tank off the main pump. I like the option of cutting the circulation for feeding.

The last pieces of equiptment I'm waiting on is power modules for the Apex. Then I can finally clean up the wiring mess in the stand.