Skimmers GALORE!!!!

Gadgets

No one said that price was proportional to performance.

True... for example - in my 240; I would pay the price, if I thought it would reduce my nitrates by even 50%. But I already have an oversized Deltec under it; which didn't seem to change much.

bob

I think a fairer question would be whether or not a BK skimmed just as good as 4-5 ASM's. :)

Oh... and by the way - my Miata is a lot more fun than your Porsche!

bob

yes a BK is better than 4-5 ASMs....

space, energy, ease of use, the BK wins on all points besides price.....

and ive driven miatas and 911s you must be smoking crack.....

i drive a WRX, i love it but i would certainly take a C4S over it any-day of the week...

there seems to be a fair amount of petty jealousy in this thread, its just a skimmer....

BTW that Deluxe is mine and I like it, isnt that what matters?

Chris and I both switched from Deltecs to these cones, the deltecs were more expensive and did not work as well....

No jealousy here and not trying to step on anyones toes either. I'd just like to know if there is a big performance difference in a cone vs column? I can understand being excited about a shiny new toy in my tank, but can't help but wonder if it's all hype with a big price tag thrown on to make it look better than it really is.

FWIW, I just got my ASM gold plated. I'll bet it eats the cones.

yes a BK is better than 4-5 ASMs....

space, energy, ease of use, the BK wins on all points besides price.....

and ive driven miatas and 911s you must be smoking crack.....

i drive a WRX, i love it but i would certainly take a C4S over it any-day of the week...

there seems to be a fair amount of petty jealousy in this thread, its just a skimmer....

BTW that Deluxe is mine and I like it, isnt that what matters?

The miata is fun because i don't have to worry so much about dinging it! :)

The Deltec is NOT fun... because i can hardly put any water through it without blowing the top off.

bob

No jealousy here and not trying to step on anyones toes either.

FWIW, I just got my ASM gold plated. I'll bet it eats the cones.

those appear to be conflicting statements.

i have been using my other ATB for over a year, i can say with the utmost confidence that it is a fantastic skimmer, worth every penny.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an ASM G6 that I modded to be recirculating and had it running full blast. I then replaced it with a skimmer from GSA and it skims much better than the G6, despite the fact that the G6 was 4' tall and this one is much smaller, although with a larger tube diameter. Also, this one is on 2 legs right now and it still does a better job than the G6 did on 3 pumps going full bore. If I didn't clean the G6 every few days, it would stop working, but on this one if I don't clean it, it simply builds up a huge rim of crap in the collection cup column. The other day when I emptied it after getting a bit lazy for a couple of weeks it had about 2" of crap caked onto the inside of the riser neck, solid all the way up to the top of the skimmer cup. Talk about gross to clean...

Oh, and I drove a Lamborghini and it was fun!

Chris,

Quick question.

From what I see on that skimmate you get very dark liquid but seems pretty thin. My skimmer pulls a lot of thick junk, I am talking green mud. I am running mine fairly dry but I was wondering what is it that you look for in the skimmate, dark fluid or denser mud like stuff? I clean mine with a rubber spatula (stole it from my wife kitchen drawer) and I take about 4 to 5 oz of mud every week. The liquid that remains in the collection cup looks a dark green, but it is translucent not as dark as what I can see in your picture.

Thanks for the pictures, it is cool to see those monsters in action.

What about this beast:

bk-650-6320e.jpg

BK Royal Exclusive 650 :)

Chris, I saw you're using the Red tube. What affect does it have if you're not using? I just got one and been using it for a day. I see lot's of bubble turbulance. Does it takes time to kick in?

Are all the Vertex Alpha Cone Skimmers designed to be used in a sump? How deep do people keep theirs? Does anyone know of any external cone skimmers?

Chris, I saw you're using the Red tube. What affect does it have if you're not using? I just got one and been using it for a day. I see lot's of bubble turbulance. Does it takes time to kick in?

It's for ozone. I'm running it.

Are all the Vertex Alpha Cone Skimmers designed to be used in a sump? How deep do people keep theirs? Does anyone know of any external cone skimmers?

Yes they are all in-sump at the moment. They will have externals later this year.

ATB Deluxe.

Yup. Nick just got one and it is pretty sweet.

Chris,

Quick question.

From what I see on that skimmate you get very dark liquid but seems pretty thin. My skimmer pulls a lot of thick junk, I am talking green mud. I am running mine fairly dry but I was wondering what is it that you look for in the skimmate, dark fluid or denser mud like stuff? I clean mine with a rubber spatula (stole it from my wife kitchen drawer) and I take about 4 to 5 oz of mud every week. The liquid that remains in the collection cup looks a dark green, but it is translucent not as dark as what I can see in your picture.

Thanks for the pictures, it is cool to see those monsters in action.

If I run mine dry, the liquid is even darker and is much thicker. I prefer to run mine wet though.