Question about salt

dmward99

I have a question about these 2 types of salts.I have always used Instant Ocean on my tanks but have never really had much success with my corals.I have always known of Reef Crystals but never used it.I am currently setting up a 20 Long tank for my son who as all kids wants a nemo fish.I will house a pair of clowns,anemone, clean up crew, couple of shrimp and maybe 2 other small fish( indecided).I want to leave the door open to maybe trying a few more corals down the road but don't want to switch my salt once I start this set-up.My questions is; Would Reef Crystals be better/ Or Instant Ocean? I know this is probaly a old topic but would like to hear some of your views or the 2 salts.Pros? Cons?

I know a lot of use the regular instant ocean on our reef tanks.. I actually have had better success with instant ocean.. Or you can go high class and get the deltec salt, good stuff and its only $85 a bucket..

Instant Ocean is fine for corals. If you are having trouble with corals, it is almost certainly unrelated to the salt mix. If you are not using RO/DI water when you mix up new saltwater, you might have some trouble with calcium precipitation but that depends on what's coming out of the tap. Otherwise, I would check all the other likely suspects when troubleshooting coral health- lighting, water flow/circulation, nutrient levels. If you are having trouble with stony corals but not soft corals, then make sure alkalinity is correct. My guess is if your fish are fine but corals aren't thriving, one of two things is wrong: nitrate (NO3) is higher than you think (make sure test kit is good, keep level below 15ppm) or alkalinity is low (again, test kit may be wrong, aim for 8 DKH/2.5 meq/L). This assumes you have adequate lighting and water flow.

Good luck

Justin

(edited)

Summary:

IO: Ca 350, Alk 12 dkH, Mg 1070, inexpensive but can be supplemented cheaply with calcium chloride and magnesium chloride / sulfate to boost calcium & magnesium if desired.

RC: Ca 490, Alk 13, Mg 1440, more expensive & really doesn't need supplementation in most cases

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1287118

Calcium

Alkalinity

Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens

CoraLife

Crystal Sea Marinemix

Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay

D-D H2Ocean

Instant Ocean

Kent

Marine Environment

Oceanic

OceanPure

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

Reef Crystals (new)

Reefer's Best

SeaChem Marine Salt

SeaChem Reef Salt

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Tunze Reef Salt

Edited by Origami2547

I use Reef Crystals and I am pretty satisfied with it. Salt is cheaper than Ca additives and you have to use it anyway. Because the new saltwater with RC is closer to the parameters I use in the tank I would think livestock is less shock when I do water changes. It is $10 difference from IO and right now some stores are running discounts on it.

That Coralife salt is looking pretty good. Go figure... not much of a difference between IO and RC... as a matter of fact, from that study I would say IO is a better deal.

So many numbers and options, what other brand from that study comes up on top?

I personally don't like reef crystals mainly because when mixed with water its not fully dissolved. I have found that unless you use warm water, there will be some undissolved stuff in the bottom of the mixing container. I have been using instant ocean for a while and its doing the job. I dose with 2-part so I am not too concerned with the lower levels of calcium and magnesium.

We use RC. Never tried IO. Have been happy with it and I don't add anything else to the tank.

So I have used Crystal Sea Bio Assay since the very beginning of my tank and do 10% water changes every week. Latest readings are:

Calc 500

Alk 8

pH 8.3

Mag 1350

I run a kalk reactor for four hours at night as a water top off....would that be the reason my Calcium Stays so high?

So I have used Crystal Sea Bio Assay since the very beginning of my tank and do 10% water changes every week. Latest readings are:

Calc 500

Alk 8

pH 8.3

Mag 1350

I run a kalk reactor for four hours at night as a water top off....would that be the reason my Calcium Stays so high?

That's a high calcium level. Do you use any Tunze or other propeller circulation pumps? If so, I'm curious as to how often you have to clean them. IME when calcium is that high, I have to clean them every 10 days or so.

thats very interesting, I just tested the bio-assay...last time I tested it was 3 years ago with salifert kits :blink: , this time i was using the seachem reef status kits and the mag and cal and alk was much lower than i thought. Just like the article said.

Heres what i did to get it up in 150 gallons:

Mag 1400 - 3 quarts 37,000ppm MgCl

Calcium 450 - 3 quarts 85,000ppm CaCl

Alk - 13dKH - 2 tbs naco2

All in all I think its the best priced salt and you can add bulk elements to increase their values for a very nominal cost.

Sean

Yes - I have two Vortechs. I clean them weekly but is is mostly for algae buildup.

That's a high calcium level. Do you use any Tunze or other propeller circulation pumps? If so, I'm curious as to how often you have to clean them. IME when calcium is that high, I have to clean them every 10 days or so.

Hey Sean,

I have used Seachem and Tropic Marin Test kits...in addition to Salifert. I think Salifert is the most accurate but who knows...Seachem gave me low Magnesium readings...so I dosed to raise the level...and ended up over dosing. I had a major die off as a result.

thats very interesting, I just tested the bio-assay...last time I tested it was 3 years ago with salifert kits :blink: , this time i was using the seachem reef status kits and the mag and cal and alk was much lower than i thought. Just like the article said.

Heres what i did to get it up in 150 gallons:

Mag 1400 - 3 quarts 37,000ppm MgCl

Calcium 450 - 3 quarts 85,000ppm CaCl

Alk - 13dKH - 2 tbs naco2

All in all I think its the best priced salt and you can add bulk elements to increase their values for a very nominal cost.

Sean

I have used Seachem and Tropic Marin Test kits...in addition to Salifert. I think Salifert is the most accurate but who knows...Seachem gave me low Magnesium readings...so I dosed to raise the level...and ended up over dosing. I had a major die off as a result.

You had die offs from high magnesium levels??? I have had my magnesium up to almost 2000ppm for a month with no ill affects.

That's all I can attribute it to...all other readings were within range. The mag registered about 1100 ppm on Seachem so I kept dosing to try to get it closer to 1350. Started having a lot of coral RTN'ing...literally had big colonies turning white overnight. I had my water tested with a Salifert Magnesium test kit and I was over 2000ppm.

The only other suspect at the time was my dosing of Brightwell Vitamin C and Ameno Acids (had recently started dosing them). I welcome other thoughts....Nitrates at that time were 0.

You had die offs from high magnesium levels??? I have had my magnesium up to almost 2000ppm for a month with no ill affects.

I had my water tested with a Salifert Magnesium test kit and I was over 2000ppm.

I am pretty sure that Salifert Mag tests max out at 1500ppm...

I am pretty sure that Salifert Mag tests max out at 1500ppm...

That is true, it does max out at 1500. You have to refill it again and the add it all up.

Instant Ocean is fine for corals. If you are having trouble with corals, it is almost certainly unrelated to the salt mix. If you are not using RO/DI water when you mix up new saltwater, you might have some trouble with calcium precipitation but that depends on what's coming out of the tap. Otherwise, I would check all the other likely suspects when troubleshooting coral health- lighting, water flow/circulation, nutrient levels. If you are having trouble with stony corals but not soft corals, then make sure alkalinity is correct. My guess is if your fish are fine but corals aren't thriving, one of two things is wrong: nitrate (NO3) is higher than you think (make sure test kit is good, keep level below 15ppm) or alkalinity is low (again, test kit may be wrong, aim for 8 DKH/2.5 meq/L). This assumes you have adequate lighting and water flow.

Good luck

Justin

+1000 - IMO Salt mixes don't make a bit of difference unless you already have a pristine tank and are making a minor adjustment for a specific reason.

That is true, it does max out at 1500. You have to refill it again and the add it all up.

+1 I have had to do that too ;)

Yep, thats what I did. ;)