New DIY Tank/Stand Project

aggarza

ok guys i am new to this forum, but not new to sw. i have been in the hobby for about 5 years now and have learned many things. i won't go into some of the dumb mistakes i have made in the past...i know you guys did it too...lol.

so anyway, i will be moving back to woodbridge in august and will be setting up a new tank. i am currently breakign down the tanks i got and selling off my stuff on the local forum down here in texas, and will be starting with all new stuff once i complete the move. i thought i would post some sketchup pics of the tank and stand i plan to construct and get you guy's feedback. i am interested to hear what you guys think of my design. and it's ok if you don't like it, i won't be offended. just as long as you have a better idea that i can use.

i will be adding information to this thread as i decide on what things i am going to use. i do know that i will be using a deltec ts1250 protein skimmer, and three deltec fr509's for phos/carbon/pure. i also will be using my 8x39w HOT5 TEK light. i don't know if that will be enough light for the tank though. it is going to be sps dominant and i don't know if this light will brovide enough light. we'll see.

ok ok enough blabbering...on to the pics.

65G1.jpg

65g2.jpg

65G3.jpg

65g4.jpg

and this was my first attempt at using sketchup so don't laugh at my pics...

~alex

(edited)

and here is a rendering that an rc member did for me. i looks great, imo, but i don't like the pattern he put on the base. i want it to look like a dark java hardwood. you can get the idea from my model. so, tell me what you guys think.

tankrender.jpg

~alex

Edited by aggarza

Well, I'm impressed by what sketchup can do, that's for sure. How big's this tank going to be? What's your plan for plumbing and maintenance of parameters?

I see that you're going to use a closed loop and the overflow / return indicates a sump is being used. The open back indicates that the setup will be pushed up against a wall. I have to infer it from the drawing, but I'm assuming that you're going to have clear access to the sump so it can be removed for maintenance if needed.

I see also that you've shrouded the plumbing in the back and that there may be a narrow "shelf" between the top cavity defined by the shroud and the sump cavity. What do you do if for some reason you need to gain access to the plumbing in the top cavity (with or without the shelf)? Is the top panel of the shroud hinged or removable at least? I'm assuming that your CL pump will be in the sump cavity as you'd have a maintenance nightmare getting at it in the top cavity.

Very nice start, though.

Hi Alex,

We will sure give you our opinion!!! LOL Be sure of that! I love build threads so I am subscribing!

I like sketchup, it definitely helps getting a good idea of dimensions and final look.

Which brings me to my questions.... what are the dimensions of the tank?

Is it already drilled or are you drilling it?

Are you going for Bare Bottom, 1-2" sand bed or DSB?

Are you bringing your own rock and livestock or starting completely from scratch?

Do you know where the tank is going in the new place?

Any specific reason why you don't want a closed canopy?

You are welcome to come over a get some ideas from my tank if that can help.

I really like having things in a wet room if at all possible, as opposed to underneath the tank. Makes maintenance much easier.

First off, Welcome to WAMAS.

Looks like this will be a "Killer" tank. Can't wait to see the actual build later this year.

I'm going to assume that this tank will be at least 3' in length due to your T5 bulb selection?

8x39w HOT5 TEK light should be okay. Will this be 2' or shallower?

yeah sorry about that. i posted this late last night and forgot to post some of the more important things. lol.

the thank is going to be 36"x30"x20". it is going to have a false wall on the back with a 4.5" cavity. the center of the cavity will house the overflow and return. i couldn't get the schedule 80 parts to work in the model. i'm working on it. the outer cavities will house the powerheads. i will not be using a traditional closed loop. i saw this idea on a super build thread on rc. a member had a custom elos tank built and the false wall actually hid his tunze streams. kinda hard to explain so i will post a link later. and the only thing going in the stand is a frag tank. i have a small closet under the stairs that the sump/parts will be housed in.

as for the parts. well, i plan on a full zeo tank so no need for a fuge. just a streamlined sump, deltec skimmer, and a few deltec reactors. also housed in this area will be the top off tank and supplies.

inside the tank i will use a ssb because i just don't like the look of starboard. and i have about 70lbs. of totoka rock that i will be packing up and taking with me to the new house. this stuff is awesome and full of crevices. and when placed in tank you really can't tell where one piece end and the other begins. as for corals i will house mostly sps and a few choice lps/softies. there are a few zoanthids that have caught my eye lately, so i might get a few [~10] frags of these. as for fish i plan on keeping a small school of apogon leptacanthus and two chrysiptera galba. i want a nice md./lg. specimen for the tank. but i haven't decided which yet. any suggestion would be appreciated.

ok thats too much information for one post. i will end there and start collecting more pics.

thanks for checking my thread and sharing your thoughts/ideas.

~alex

(edited)

ok i got an updated rendering of the model and this one is just how i had imagined.

65g5.jpg

what do you think? too modern? i like it.

origami: yes the sheathing will all be removable. in the front we have two full length doors, and the sides and top are all held in place with magnets. and good eye on the pseudo shelf. yes i will have a hinged shelf that will hold the two american dj power strips.

~alex

Edited by aggarza

that is a kool fish...$60 for a damsel...kinda of pricey though...

maybe. i think this truly is a beautiful fish. and considering there are some who pay hundreds for mutated clowns, i think it is a good deal for a not-so-common fish. i am still open to other options though.

~alex

here is a rendering of the bones model. the color of the metal stand is off, but you get the idea.

65G7.jpg

~alex

• 2 months later...

well as most have figured out. i didn't get to move back to nova. :angry:

i came across an opportunity that required me to stay in texas. so its a good and bad situation. but i am making more money now, so all is well.

~alex

Well, it's not like you're stuck. It sounds like you've found an opportunity. Who knows where it will lead?

Did you ever move forward on your plans that you posted? If so, I'm sure that we'd all like to see pics when you've got 'em.