New Frag Tank Setup

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice design. The stand looks professionally done and it looks like you've got a great frag setup.

• 1 month later...

Updated pics! I am preparing for a red bug treatment so I removed all the rock and sand to make room for a new frag a rack. Then I moved all my acros into the frag tank system. IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Are those blue cloves spreading over that patch of frag plugs?

Ha ha...no, it is actually GSP that is all retracted because I was blowing the detritus off it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nate, your tanks are amazing. I wish I had half the DIY skills that you have. How would you say the T5 vs MH lights compare for coral growth and coloration? I was thinking of setting up a 40g breeder, with a single MH over it, maybe a 400w 20k?

I am thinking of copying a lot of your setup, but having 1 frag tank instead of the 2. Is there anything you'd change with your build, or are you happy with everything? How do you like the pvc spray bar you made, is it still working well?

Nate, your tanks are amazing. I wish I had half the DIY skills that you have. How would you say the T5 vs MH lights compare for coral growth and coloration? I was thinking of setting up a 40g breeder, with a single MH over it, maybe a 400w 20k?

I am thinking of copying a lot of your setup, but having 1 frag tank instead of the 2. Is there anything you'd change with your build, or are you happy with everything? How do you like the pvc spray bar you made, is it still working well?

You have to watch running a 400 watt on a 40 gal. breeder. It can really heat up th water really fast. I think it is over kill on such a shallow tank. JMO. If going with MH i would not go with more than 250 watt.

(edited)

Thanks Ryan. You should come over one day and check em out. The MH definitely takes the cake on growth but the T5 brings out the colors better. I would strongly advise against a 400w MH over a 40 gallon breeder. I have a 250w 10k DE bulb in a lumenarc stealth mini reflector and it does great. I am buying a 14k phoenix to replace the 10k soon cuz its washing everything out. The spray bar was more noticeable when I had less flow in the tank, but now that I have two modded mj1200's, I can barely tell its still sparying. I originally hooked up a pump to my PVC to keep the water in the tube from rotting. I wouldn't go the same route with the 1/2in PVC frame. Instead try something like this:

IMG_1379.jpg

I just recently built this frag rack and I have to say it works very well. I call it my "stadium seating frack rack." There are no zip ties or glue, just 3 in PVC pipe with eggcrate stacked on top. So simple!

Edited by Nate

Looks like I might have found a used 40b w/ overflow to use for my own version! Now I need to find a stand and get this thing started! Nate - for a 1 return overflow (1" I think) 40b, what size/brand pump would you recommend for the return?

(edited)
Looks like I might have found a used 40b w/ overflow to use for my own version! Now I need to find a stand and get this thing started! Nate - for a 1 return overflow (1" I think) 40b, what size/brand pump would you recommend for the return?

I use a QuietOne 3000 on each of my tank's returns, but I have larger drains 2 x 2in on each. My overflow is rated for 1500gph and the QuietOne 3000 runs around 580gph. @ 4 ft of head. I think the max amount a 1in drain can handle is 600gph.

Quiet One 3000

adinfo_14143_3000.gif

Edited by Nate

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Finally!!! I got my 14k Phoenix bulb in.

Last night I scraped most of the coralline algae off the glass.

Also received my Diver's Den order today...anyway here are the pics.

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

BushyAcroporaCoralFijiAcroporacerea.jpg

DigitateAcroporaCoralFijiAcroporasa.jpg

TablingAcroporaCoralFijiAcroporalat.jpg

DFSRoyalTippedTeniusAcroporatenius1.jpg

Edited by Nate

Are you sure that a frag tank? I don't see any frags but colonies. Awesome work, Nate. I think Nate just open a new thread category on WAMAS called FRAG TANK OF THE MONTH.

Edited by Dell2go