Anyone used the color changing DI resin

CHUBAKAH

How has it worked for you?

I have used it but never have I ever seen the color change all the way through when its exhausted. The inlet side usually changes color and i have to think back to when i changed it. IMO its not worth the extra money for the color changing resin. TDS meter will be a better investment.

It works for me. I use it in two of their add on DI Canisters. I have a tds meter so I tested how long I could get away with using the resin after the color has changed. I read on other boards that you can get away with using it after the color has changed for awhile. For me, immediately after the color changed, the tds of the output started to creep upward. Just for your reference, I get about 120 gallons of water out of each canister.

(edited)

120 gallons that"s all? That's like one month for me?

BTW I have a TDS meter, and have not bought any resin yet, but I plan to in the next few days. Is there any other that BRS sells that is better?

Edited by CHUBAKAH

I use it and have no issues. I also have an in-line TDS meter that I use to signal depletion. So far, I've gotten 5 months of production out of this charge, or about 1100 gallons. I can't tell you yet how far it will go, but the color's only half changed at this point. I suspect that if somebody's only getting 120 gallons out of a charge, then they probably don't have a functional RO system ahead of the DI stage.

BTW, the resin is rechargeable (or renewable). An article in Reefkeeping magazine last year outlined the procedure.

(edited)
It works for me. I use it in two of their add on DI Canisters. I have a tds meter so I tested how long I could get away with using the resin after the color has changed. I read on other boards that you can get away with using it after the color has changed for awhile. For me, immediately after the color changed, the tds of the output started to creep upward. Just for your reference, I get about 120 gallons of water out of each canister.

You need to check your system out before you use it agian. You should be getting close to 10x that! It sounds like you have some tubes crossed somewhere.

I have been using it without any issues. I also use the TDS meter as other mentioned because the canister really isn't that clear.

Edited by Coral Hind

Wow, I'm going to take a closer look at my RO system. Thanks for the heads up, you possibly just saved me some $$.

Take a look at your TDS into your system, out of your RO stage, and out of your DI stage after it's been producing for 5-10 minutes. You should see that the RO stage is reducing TDS very substantially - like 100-fold or more. If it's not, your membrane's shot if you're plumbed correctly. In that case, it would need replacement. Who makes your RO system - is it an AWI unit? If so, give them a call or drop an email to them. They'll help you troubleshoot your system and get it working well again.

By the way, if it is an AWI unit, do you backflush the membrane if the unit's not produced water for you in several days?

Take a look at your TDS into your system, out of your RO stage, and out of your DI stage after it's been producing for 5-10 minutes. You should see that the RO stage is reducing TDS very substantially - like 100-fold or more. If it's not, your membrane's shot if you're plumbed correctly. In that case, it would need replacement. Who makes your RO system - is it an AWI unit? If so, give them a call or drop an email to them. They'll help you troubleshoot your system and get it working well again.

By the way, if it is an AWI unit, do you backflush the membrane if the unit's not produced water for you in several days?

It's a seachem pinnacle ro unit that includes 1 sediment and 1 carbon filter. I added two of the bulk reef supply di canisters after the RO membrane. Tap is 287 tds and post RO is 86 tds. Looks like I need to change my membrane. I replaced the membrane about 4 months ago with a filmtec membrane that bulk reef supply sells and was reading 8 tds post ro membrane. I'm 100% confident that it's plumbed correctly. The weird thing is, even when the unit was producing 8 tds, I was still only getting about 120/150 gallons through the di resin before I had to change it. It blows my mind that you guys/gals are getting so much production from them. I emailed bulk reef supply last night to ask them how long the filmtec membrane should last and how many gallons on average I should be getting out of my di canisters.

Sea Monkey, something it definalty wrong with your unit. You should be getting a lot more water out of the unit with a tds in the single digits. AWI has great CS and are very helpful.

BTW, looks like you are just over the hill from me.

Sea Monkey, something it definalty wrong with your unit. You should be getting a lot more water out of the unit with a tds in the single digits. AWI has great CS and are very helpful.

BTW, looks like you are just over the hill from me.

I contacted Ryan at Bulk Reef Supply. He's convinced the membrane isn't seating right. My DI canisters have always run out that quickly so I never had a point of reference to how quickly it should be running out. I'm glad Chubakah started this thread. Sorry for the hijack! Thanks to everyone for bringing that to my attention. I will be testing my post RO water a lot more in the future. Pat_13, where in WV do you live? Half of my family is in Ranson, Charles Town, and Kearneysville. If I can ever help you with anything or would like to combine shipping on any future orders, shoot me a pm.

I'm glad Chubakah started this thread. Sorry for the hijack!

See how r u stealing all my thunder like that!

j/k

Thanks for the replies everyone, except for you ya little brine shrimp!

:biggrin:

I never thought I would need the color changing resin. I mean, I have one of those dual TDS meters plumbed in post-R/O and post-D/I, so it should be really easy to check TDS, right? Well, it's so much easier to simply glance at the canisters than to actually walk over and push the TDS button. Yes I am that lazy. Color changing it is, for me.

I use color changing resins and change it out when it's about 3/4 exhausted.

I do not regenerated it either.

I did used to do tht process when I had a kati/ani system using muriatic acid for the kati and red devil lye for the ani resins.

Not worth the hassel in my mind.