Adding A Frag Tank

khalid

Hi all,

I am trying to add a 20 gallon frag tank to my current system which has about 50 gallons of Saltwater in the system. My question is is it ok just to add another 20 gallons of new saltwater to the system or can it cause any issues?

Thanks,

Khalid

You should be just fine as long as you've mixed up new salt water and let it age for a day or two before connecting it up. It's kind of like a water change in a way.

Great thanks for the help I really appreciate it. :) Hopefully I'll get it set up this weekend.:)

I just added a 96 gallon to my 50 gallon system. The 50 had a few fish & corals. I let the new 96 cycle on it's own with stinky sand from another tank. I mixed-up a large container of filtered water & salt to the same SG os the 50. I did small water changes daily on the 50 and put the old water right into the 96. Once the 96 cycled on it's own; which was relatively quick with sand from another tank and much of it's water from the 50, I then open the connection between them to just a trickle for a few days as an extra precaution. I now have 140 in the system and all are happy. Just my $.02

Edited by Larry Grenier

I just added a 96 gallon to my 50 gallon system. The 50 had a few fish & corals. I let the new 96 cycle on it's own with stinky sand from another tank. I mixed-up a large container of filtered water & salt to the same SG os the 50. I did small water changes daily on the 50 and put the old water right into the 96. Once the 96 cycled on it's own; which was relatively quick with sand from another tank and much of it's water from the 50, I then open the connection between them to just a trickle for a few days as an extra precaution. I now have 140 in the system and all are happy. Just my $.02

Nice, Thanks Larry. :) Glad to her it worked out well for you I will be hooking everything up as soon as I get my return pump in the mail which should hopefully be today.

• 3 weeks later...

Khalid,

If you don't mind posting a picture of your setup I would like to see how you did it. I am thinking about putting up a 29gl long frag tank which is sitting in my basement. I have pretty much all the equipment that I need (I think) 175w MH pendant, powerhead, etc. I am actually trying to plumb it with my 75gl sump and trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I don't mind getting you pictures but I don't know how to post picture. PM me your email and I'll take pictures and email them to you. What I did was set up the drilled 20 Gallon tank besides my 33 and had it drain right into my sump via PVC and hoses. I put the return pump for the frag tank in the sump as well and have a hose taking the water back to the frag tank. PM me your email and I'll send you pics of everything. :)