vodka - just dosage info please

treesprite

I just want to know how much vodka people dose, and possibly what the reasons are for some people having (or being able) to dose more than others into their systems. Clear cut about dosing please - there are enough threads already with carbon dosing debate.

Also want to know the indicators of overdose.

My main system, accounting for displacement and fullness when all 4 parts are online (65+20+10+29), is about 100g. Currently the 29 is offline which puts me at about 80g - not sure when I'll re-connect.

I have one other question. My clownfish tank is a 52 hex with just a CPR BakPak for a skimmer - does anyone sucessfully dose carbon (vodka, vinegar, sugar) with that type of skimmer in that volumn range? I keep thinking it's a bad idea to try, but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks for the info.

I used to dose vodka. I have had both good and bad results. If you are to dose you have to do it everyday with low amounts. So for every 50g you dose 1ml of vodka. If you notice the water to get a little milky then you dosed too much and you have to stop for a day or two. In the end it best not to dose vodka it has great results at first then it turns to be a pain since you cant keep up with the dosing schedule.

I used to dose vodka. I have had both good and bad results. If you are to dose you have to do it everyday with low amounts. So for every 50g you dose 1ml of vodka. If you notice the water to get a little milky then you dosed too much and you have to stop for a day or two. In the end it best not to dose vodka it has great results at first then it turns to be a pain since you cant keep up with the dosing schedule.

Thanks for the info - I don't think I will have a problem with the schedule - can't be any harder than feeding the fish.

Thank you for the article link! I had read some of the threads on this topic on RC before and it was a bit overwhleming with all the debate and commentary, so I'm very happy to see the article summarizing them - very helpful indeed!

Yes, Forrest, please read before proceeding and go forward with caution understanding the biological mechanisms, the risks, and risk mitigation methods. I did it for a while on my 90 display and had good results - only some of my early softies (which seem to prefer dirtier water) seemed not to like the regimen. Be aware that nitrate reduction can be limited by available phosphates and vice-versa. Thus, if you're using something like GFO, I'd stop using it while while you dose so you can pull both down effectively.

You have a small tank so be cautious.

(Hi Cliff. Good to see you here and, more frequently, over at RC's chem forum....)

Edited by Origami2547

That article gives you the proper methodology. Start with 1mL/day for 2-3 weeks. Increase as specified (I believe it's doubling each week) until your nitrates begin to decrease. Then, hold the dosing constant until you reach (I believe) 0 nitrates. Then, cut the dose in half for maintenance. If you see your nitrates going up, then you can increase.

The milky water (as mentioned) is an indication of the bacterial bloom. That's what happens when you overdose. The bacteria will consume all the oxygen - this is obviously bad for your fish. If you see the bacterial bloom, be sure you have plenty of surface agitation to keep up the gas exchange.

Most people who have dosed vodka for a long period of time notice early benefits and then see the colors of their corals fade - at which point, they begin looking for ways to add the required nutrients via Prodibio, etc.

Good luck.

Forrest-

Why not try regular w/c, vacuuming of the gravel bed, and an appropriate skimmer to reduce your NO3?

It seems like you are willing to jump through a million hoops looking for the shortcut when the answer is right in front of you. If you get a real skimmer instead of the CPR (can't produce results) like an ASM ot T1000, your NO3 will disappear.