Is there an alt to House of Tropics near Prince Georges County?

rawdawg05

I am new to the area when it comes to Saltwater stores. I moved back here about 6 month ago and have been going to House of Tropics because it is the only option i know of. They are ok but the quality of fish has a lot to be desired. They are nice people and helpful but would like another good or better option. Prices are a little on the high side.

Thanks for all of your help.

Is there any preference to you?

Everyone's opinions are different. There is no real substitute for looking at them all and deciding for yourself which you like best.

For me, because Roozen's has 10x the selection of the other 2 combined, it is my favorite. It is also closer to you I think.

I also like Pristine. Wish they had more.

Wally's I try to like, but it is hard.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

All of them are worth checking out. I would stop by Roozen's if you are looking for fish, can't say the customer service is the best, but Pristine is definitely worth the drive, they are particularly helpful and friendly.

I like Roozens the best too.

House of tropicals is in glen burnie which is in Anne Reundle County, i.e. next door PG county. I'd really really recommend staying away from that store for... well almost anything. check out exotic aquatics and Mr, Coral. if you're headed down to va check out the aquarium company

House of tropicals is in glen burnie which is in Anne Reundle County, i.e. next door PG county. I'd really really recommend staying away from that store for... well almost anything. check out exotic aquatics and Mr, Coral. if you're headed down to va check out the aquarium company

I agree with all of the above, especially after the pasta at the benefit for the children with cancer. Just wish I'd been sober enough to give my wife the recipe. But I say do give Roozens a look, definitley. I've had some fantastic deals there. It ain't pretty, but I've gotten some real beauties at insane prices, fish and coral both. Jos will loosen up alot and tell you some good info if you chat him up a bit and he figures you have some notion of what you're talking about, or at least the desire to learn. He respects someone who takes the hobby (ie, the living creatures) seriously. That aspect about Jos is something which gets overlooked in WAMAS forums, I think, right???? . I've knocked them down on prices (non-unreasonably) from time to time. I do think Roozens gets a bad rap on the WAMAS forums, unjustly. You can buy an ich-infested hippo or post-mortem torch there as well as anywhere, if you're willing to play the fool, but you can also make out like a bandit. They have an amazing operation, solar heating, etc. which is not an uncomplicated thing when you figure in ground conduction, etc. . Anyone who's been there, I don't have to tell them that.

Actually, if you stopped by with a twelve pack late in the afternoon who knows what would happen... (Not a bad idea for a WAMAS tank tour sort of thing, *in all seriousness*. I expect most people would be taking a taxi or ambulance home,when all was said and done. Something to consider....

Roozens is not the enemy, despite some posts, (come on, guys, consider their business model, and the fact you can play hardball with the owner. Are they aquaco or mr, coral? No. Can you still make out like a bandit? Maybe). Still not the same with Larry gone, though.

Back in the day (2006) I got some fantastic corals from House of Trops for peanuts. Probably because the employees didn't know how to price things. By and large, they're still pleasant and helpful. Just don't take everything they say as canonical. That's what WAMAS is for (heh heh).

Its gone downhill since then, I'm afraid, but they do stock the odd plumbing part which is hard to find elsewhere. Haven't seen a good coral for quite a while though, have to go to Roozens and take your chances for that. (CMAS-MD has some good info on Baltimore-area establishments which aren't too far from PG county).

This might be questionable advice, but Seasave.net is near House of Trops. Gotten a few good specimens there, place is clean as you can ask for and well-lighted, but not a huge selection. Does no harm to stop by, though. Interesting notion on treating/curing fish with ich They might be on to something;does no harm, anyway . Don't agree with some other of their philosophy (eg, super glue, deep sand beds, salinity. but it seems to work for them, FWIW). If you' re ordering a strange and *expensive fish*, their prices are quite reasonable and their quarantine procedure I'm impressed with. Give 'em a look, anyway, does no harm. Just watch the salinity as you quarantine. (I should add that aquaco and BRK, and probably others I'm overlooking, take quarantine as seriously as you could ask for. Seasave actually claims to 'cure' ick, and they might be on to something.....)

Always a treat to visit: mr.coral, and also aquaco in reston, even more so, I think. The drive to BRK from MD is worthwhile too, no question.

To sum up: if you're in PG county, check out Roozens (or ScalesTropical Fish Warehouse is worth a look). Otherwise, skip PG or AA county. I have nothing but good things to say about BRK, aquaco, or exotic aquatics. I've gotten more good info from Sean at aquaco than other places, but perhaps that's because my hyperactive brain-damaged kids were destroying the place when no one else was around and he was desensitized enough from his own kids to be willing to chat (or so he said, gentleman that he is).

Which is not to bad mouth other places, especially sponsors; those are just the ones I know well. I've lived in many other places to compare with , and nearly all of the places around DC have some real pros who are really decent guys running the show. I just wish I had enough $$$ to keep them all in business. We're very fortunate.

I won't mention names, but I stopped by a few places in Montgomery county Saturday/Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago. The owner was minding the shop, with one or two really cute little girls on their lap or telling me all about the corals I happened to be looking at. I'm sure their dads puts in many many hours and I'm sure they miss their children while trying to make a living, alot. True for all the other WAMAS sponsors too, I'm sure. That sort of got me in the gut, dammit.

Despite the putative trivial saving in $$$, of getting something half dead via FedEx with no advice, seeing the owners with their kids while working on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon has really brought it home to me that these are straight up guys we should keep in business. My job sucks, but at least I have weekends with my kids with no strings attached (at least for the moment). That's reason enough to help them out thru the hard times, and in the long run, it saves us all money too. They have the knowledge, and they'll cut you a deal if need be, and what more can you ask for?

Thanks for the advice people. It is a lot of good advice. What is BRK? Mr. Coral is nice but it is a little far. Pristine was really clean and nice guys there. Roozen was different and a different spot but had a great selection of fish.

BRK is Blue Ribbon Koi. They are a vendor here. It was by far my favorite store a couple years ago. Its still #1 for me now, but now its tied with Aqua Company (even though Aqua Co is currently closed for renovations). I also like roozens, and I love their selection, but there customer service is horrible compared to BRK and AquaCo.

OK thanks. Yeah I would love to see Aqua Co. I am new here and I tell you Roozen has a great fish selection but they have the worst customer service in the ONE time I have been there. I am big on customer service because of my former career. House of Tropics has decent customer service. Pristine was great!!!!!

I will spend more money at a store if the people provide excellent service. If I want bad service then I can just paypal it online.

Thanks everyone.